Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I picked up my six goldens from the kennel after boarding for one week. They were all thrilled to see me... and seemed fine. When we got home, I let the dogs out and from her feathers, it looked like Basil had some loose stool. Didn't think anything of it until 3 AM Sunday, when I awoke to the lovely smell of diarrhea. It was Basil, I let her out, she came back in and vomited.. I decided we would all sleep downstairs... vomited once more... then vomited right before I went to the Maine retriever meeting.... Left her in the capable hands of my vet husband and she continued to vomit sporadically. Finally, she really started to look sick and was dripping blood from her anus... So we brought her to work, radiographed her, took blood, gave her antibiotics, and started her on an IV. Brought her home, tied her to the grooming table and hooked her fluids to the arm of the table. She laid there patiently while she got rehydrated. She had hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which was not the kennel's fault... it is something that just happens (thought to be maybe due to a bacterial overgrowth, but who knows). I have commonly seen it in dachshunds and poodles. But fortunately I know it is one of those things that happens and it is no one's fault. Today, Basil who is the most quiet dog in the World, was re hooked to fluids and wouldn't stop barking, as she wanted to be with her friends. She is back to herself, wagging her tail and once again ravenous for food. Doesn't like canned I/D so much, but loves the dry. It is also a testament to how quickly they get better with timely treatment. So remember, it is noy always the kennel's fault!

·
where the tails wag
13,381 Posts
Thank goodness she is on the mend !

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Thank goodness that mommy and daddy are both vets...;) I'm glad that she is doing better. That would have really scared me.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
from the other side of the aisle so to speak, thank you so much for that post. It's amazing the things the kennels get blamed for!
I had one that really blew my mind...dog developed kennel cough SIX WEEKS after having been boarded. Yep, you guessed it, they blamed us! Of course the fact that they take him to the dog park never entered their minds....

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is impressive when the feathers are covered in pure blood... I have seen a golden in practice that was much worse. Yes, it helps that we are vets, but I was hoping that if she continued to vomit while I was at the meeting, my husband would do something... he usually waits for me....

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
glad to hear Basil is on the mend....
I think I would have freaked out at the sight!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I'm so happy that Basil is better. So...even Hubby the Vet waits until wife gives the okay! Love it!

Yes, sometimes it's just a co-inky-dink! But most lay people WOULD blame the kennel and never be talked out of it! :mad:

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
This sounds horrible and scary. So glad to hear she is feeling better. I take it this is something the other dogs can't catch????

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm glad Basil is more herself now.

My Toby has had his share of colitis, including stress-induced colitis, but I've never had the horror of seeing pure red blood coming out his rear end. I hope I never see that--I'd be so freaked out I'd be at the vet clinic in seconds. :hyper::help!:Do you think the boarding/being away from her familiar surroundings and people possibly caused her to stress a little and develop an attack of colitis or something?

Barb, 6 weeks???? Seriously, what were they thinking???:banghead:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not contagious. Basil has boarded there before... she gets stressed out by other dogs.... but the last 3 times we've been away, the kennel owner or her daughter have stayed at my house. When I called her to tell her it was HGE(hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and definitely no one's fault), she said that maybe she should just stay at my house next time!!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the same place where she gets groomed and we do dog training. Basil is just a very gentle flower.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because I am in the "dog world" and have friends that groom and/or own kennels, I see their side of things and come to their defense.

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'd be asking for "in-house" spoiling next time, since Basil is such a gentle soul! Gotta love them--puking and bleeding out odd places and all.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My sister said that next time I could bring one dog... It would be Basil if I did. However,she would probably take one look at my sister's E cockers and pee herself. She is very afraid of other dogs in an insipid kind of way. It took her a long time to feel comfortable on my house, her birthplace.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Celebration Golden World is back to normal. Basil is in standing heat and is once again throwing herself at her neutered male relatives. She ate her I/D well. One thing I thought about is that my friend who has shown Basil used to work at the kennel. When Basil would board, she would play with her and bring her up to the grooming room. Unfortunately, my friend quit the kennel... so maybe that made the difference.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Whenever we ourselves get sick, don't we go back in time and try to remember if anyone we visited, or who we were around, was sick? We always want to find "something" to blame.
I think it is normal to try to think of some reason or cause for illness or mishaps-as this is how we think we can maintain some kind of control over our world (spot the reason for something happening so we can steer clear of that situation in the future).

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Sorry for Basil and you, but good to hear things are back to normal. I always think these things happen on holidays. Spent several holidays in the (people) emergency room.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not looking to blame any one in this situation. Other than boarding fees, I am really out next to nothing other than time... I know my friend used to go out of her way to give Basil attention at the kennnel. Basil was my stud fee puppy, returned. So basically, she lived in a kennel situation for 6 1/2 months before I got her back. It definitely influenced her outlook on life.... her mom is afraid of no one and nothing. She was initially afraid of paper bags crinkling...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts