Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been around for a while as my little boy has been in and out of hospital with breathing problems. The doctor has said its linked to having Tasha... he started back on his inhalers etc just after we got her...but, i didn't put 2 and 2 together...but, recently he has been really bad and ended up in hospital on 3 occasions.
She has done soo well and has come on in leaps and bounds, since i started with the trainer and I am now having to look for a good home for my baby pooch ...i am gutted :( don't want to give her to the RSPCA or anything as i would like to know she has a brill home
I am going to start asking some of the walkers i go out with daily and wondered if anyone near me on here would be interested? or do you think i should put her in a dogs home? I would hate for her to be put down or in kemmels all day ....shes only 5.5 months and a great dog

·
I <3 Goldens
487 Posts
What a hard topic. I understand why it is so hard and honestly I'm at such a lost for words that I doubt anything I could say would make it feel any better. I would really REALLY make sure it was indeed Tasha before you had to give her up. Doctors even though they went to med school for 8 years, they tend to link it to something thats easy to target such as your pup. They did it with my cousin, after they explained that his dog was the cause of his breathing problems, they rehomed Soxy and come to find out, it was some of the building materials used for the home. But if comes to the crossroad and you know that your family must take a different path than Tasha, I would find a VERY reputable rescue in the area, they would indeed place her in a foster home, where she would get socialization and tons of attention, and then they would adopt her out to a very loving family that they feel is the perfect match. They do home checks, evaluations, and they usually have a donation price that seperates people whom can't financially afford a dog from those who can. No this never gurantees that the pup goes to the "perfect" home, but it usually weeds out the majority of the bad apples. Another option is find someone close to you as in your family whom may want her. This way you can see her, and watch her grow, and still sorta be a part of her life. But in what ever you choose, I hope it all works out for you and Tasha in the end.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there are some members from your area that could steer you in the right direction. I think that they would know of some golden rescue groups that would be able to re-home her into the perfect home for her. Good luck and be sure to let us know what happens. {{{ HUGS }}}

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Have you contacted your breeder? most insist that you return dogs to them, or you contact GR rescues for your area

Here are details of the different breed clubs around the country and the Rescue contact numbers.
Berkshire Downs and Chilterns GRC - Mrs A Willis 01189 744872
Eastern Counties GRC - Ms S Ross 01255 886326
GRC of Northumbria - Mrs P Barnes - 01325 485299 or Mrs K Towers 01661 824651
GRC of Scotland - Mr and Mrs E Fogg 01738 624751 or Mrs M McLaren 01738 632376
GRC of Wales - Mrs C Miles - 01495 772960
Midland GRC - Mrs Ingrid Pinfield 01527 892578 or mobile 07968 245087 or Ms Sue Loach 01299 250248 or mobile 07930 578083
North West GRC - Mrs J Robinson 01257 262416
Notts, Lincs & Leics area - Lyn Anderson
Southern GRS - Mr and Mrs J Burren 01634 240870 or Mr and Mrs P Marchant 0208 656 9563 or Miss W Mercer 01705 321501 or Mr and Mrs Richardson 01403 263526
South Western GRC - Mrs P Beauchamp 01548 561367 or Mr R Dean 01548 856352 or Mrs L Richardson 01202 694381 or Mr and Mrs Shortman 01398 323219 or Angela House 01985 844054.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You must feel awful, I couldn't stand the thought of having to give up either of my dogs.
Try getting in touch with Golden Retriever Rescue. They are on line and there will be a local co-ordinator listed. That's how I got Bailey when he was 6 months old.
Or bring her down to Slough and she could live with us.
Best of luck
:wave:

Attachments

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry to hear this bor both Tasha and for you and your son. As a child I was the one with the bronchial asthma. My 'pets' were limited to salamanders and goldfish. Birds, cats, dogs... all out of the question. And I can' tell you how many times we visited my uncle's farm and after a visit to the barn my mother would take one look at my swollen bloodshot eyes and runny nose and ask if I had been playing with the kittys.... I would out and out lie to her... no mommy, I didn't touch the kittys.

You may not be aware.. in time we can grow in and out of allergies. I've managed to outgrow most of my allergies...and I can manage limited contact with some of the irritants. Two things my body still can not tolerate... strawberries and cats.

So, here I am 50 year later, with two golden retrievers. I have learned to co-exist with dogs. They are banned from my bedroom and from my car. And as long as I don't play on the floor or cuddle with the dogs I am okay. But to expect a little boy to not play on the floor or to never cuddle with his dog is unrealistic.

Sigh.

It's no contest when you have to choose between your son and your dog. But that doesn't make it any easier for you or your son. Tasha will most likely miss you but will adapt to the change. Surely there is someone that will want her and love her as much as you do.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Before you make the decision to rehome Sasha, please have your son tested to see if he is allergic to dogs. If he really is first I think you need to check with your breeder or look at your contract, good breeders will take the puppy back and find them a good home. If not, contact the rescues that have been listed here in this thread, but definitely not the shelter, too many risks of illness and potential for being put down in a shelter.

·
Registered
680 Posts
oh no, I am so sad for you. But your son's health is the #1 concern.
If your son is okay for a little while I would try to find a home for her instead of giving her to a shelter. I am sure there is someone out there would would lvoe to have her. I would take her if I lived closer.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I would probably get your son checked for specific allergies - mist has beaten me to it recommending either getting in touch with the breeder or golden retriever rescue.

Good luck and best wishes

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I am sorry this is happening and trust you will find the best solution for both your son and Tasha.
I would also recommend getting your son tested before taking a final decision about Tasha. In the meantime, there are steps you can take to minimize the pet dander (the allergen) in your house.

A few ideas :
  • Keep Tasha out of your son's bedroom (if she is now allowed to go in there) to provide a dander-free zone;
  • Keep her off the furniture and if possible the carpeted areas;
  • Brush and groom outside;
  • Give weekly baths (I think there are dog shampoos aimed at reducing the dander);
  • Vacuum more often - including the furniture, drapes;
  • Have your son wash his hands and face after playing with Tasha and change his play clothes often;
  • Use an HEPA filtered air purifier;
  • Perhaps give Tasha a skin/coat supplement (the better the skin, the less dander).

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I am so sorry you are haveing to do this I can not imagine what you are going through,but being a mother I know you must do what is best for your son,I imagine he is upset also,tinking of you and hope you have a good outcome.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Sorry to hear of your sons health problems, there is a lot of good advise from the forum members, hope you find a solution to your problems, it must be heart wrenching for you.
Thinking of you all.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Please let us know what happens. I am so sorry this has happened.
My daughter had bronchial asthma as a toddler and outgrew it. We didn't have to rehome any of our goldens. I also am allergic but use my asthma meds and inhaler.

I wish you and Tasha the best. I am sure you will be able to find a loving home for her.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Sorry to hear about your son being allergic to Tasha. She is lucky that, even if you can't keep her, you will stay involved until you know she has a wonderful home. Another member here recently rehomed a golden very successfully, so if you cant find a way to keep her, I have faith that Tasha will find her place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts