Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know where this originally started but as a breeder I could not have said it any better than this!!

I am a breeder. I spend a lifetime learning pedigrees, going over dogs, talking and learning from those in my breed and those outside it. I raise each litter as if I gave birth to them and spend an equal amount of time finding them loving forever homes. I only put puppies on this planet that I think will be the healthiest (mentally and physically) and nicest examples of their breed. I support each family who choses one of my puppies and let them know they are now a part of our extended family. I am there if one needs to come back and will aggressively pursue the return of one of my dogs if its in the wrong place. I support my breed in rescue and education. I hold them when they arrive and leave this world, not only my own, but my brethren in the fancy. I share my knowledge and socialize my dogs so that they will be the advertisement for my dedication. I don't keep track of the money and time I put in to my love of dogs, it would not be true measure of how I feel. I support my friends in the fancy, because it takes a village sometimes and only WE know how things are for us. The price I charge for my puppies is never profit, but investment in the next generation. I will not be ashamed of who I am, I work hard at being a good dog person and encouraging others to be the same. I am a breeder and I am proud of it.

author unknown

·
Registered
494 Posts
This makes me happy, because whenever I say I have a purebred to someone at the park and they have a pound puppy, I always feel like they are trying to make me feel guilty for not adopting. Yes I would love to give back to animals in need, but I absolutely encourage RESPONSIBLE breeding. There are a lot of people that give breeders a bad name, but there are those reputable ones who actually care about the longevity of the breed and the family name! Kudos to all the wonderful breeders out there. Without you, I wouldnt have my Tucker :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow!! so perfectly said!!

We as reputable breeders should be quoting this at every county, and state meeting meant to ban or limit our ability to continue our passion of breeding healthy, smart, sound, and beautiful dogs of any breed.

Just recently in the county I live in new laws have gone into effect.

Before the new laws went into effect we could have up to 20 dogs having a hobby kennel license. You still got your annual inspection form animal control so they could see your set up, and to make sure all you dogs where in good health. Fine no problem.

With this new law I had to pay $1200 and go before 7 people who are not dog enthusiasts, and know nothing about a show dog breeding program/kennel. I was ultimately ordered to cut my numbers in 1/2 I had to re-home 10 dogs (thank goodness I have great friends and family and was able to home my dogs with them).

We live on just under 5 acres, we have never had a problem with any of our neighbors. All of our past inspections where perfect but we still had to re-home dogs, as this panel did not think we could handle 20 dogs. (even thought we had been doing it for years).

We really need to band together and fight!! We have filed a lawsuit against land use in our county and it looks like I will be getting to bring home my dogs soon!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That is really sad that you had to give up dogs. Even though you did nothing wrong. We have had some of the same things happening around here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts