Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Maddie - she was back to the vet yesterday. I was concerned (what gives anyway, she's Carl's dog, not mine :)) about the matter from her eyes. Her matter stuff was only one eye, but now was in both eyes. And then there was the lump under her neck. At first, I thought it was just a reaction to having had a tick in the general area or that I had even left the head in when I removed it (again, what's up with this, she's Carl's dog, not mine :)) but after following all the suggestions on this site, it was still there and it almost seemed like it was getting bigger. It was reddish and you could definitely feel it when you stroked her neck.

So anyway, the vet said that the matter was conjunctivitis, possibly related to Maddie's allergies (we've been suffering ourselves lately) and then did a fine needle draw of fluid from the lump. She suspected and confirmed that it was hystocystoma. It's supposed to go away on it's own, but I'm to keep an eye on it if it doesn't, I'll bring her back in.

The pinkeye will be treated with a steriodal eye gel. She doesn't like it, not one little bit, but she's very good about sitting still.

Oh and she needs to cut back on her food. She's a whopping 56.5 pounds and the vet doesn't want her getting any heavier, so she suggested cutting her back a half cup a day. She was getting 3 cups of Canidae ALS, grain free, daily.

Finally - the vet doesn't quite buy into the dogs and food allergies thing, but I asked her to explain why Maddie's fur and skin are doing so much better now on grainfree food than before we switched? She couldn't. I think I trust the advice on this forum more than I do the vets somedays. :p:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi,

The hystiocytoma will go away on its own. My Yorkie had one on her ear last year. It took a little while but it went completely away. I had posted on yorkietalk about it and here is what someone on there recommended " i put apple cider vinegar on it with a cotton ball and a small dab of zinc ointment ...took about a week".

Piper's was gone by the time I read the message but you could always try it. Also, they sometimes get bigger before they go away. Good luck!

Susan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Susan. I'll try that - maybe, if I remember to buy the vinegar!

I have a good memory, it's just short.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Cody, our springer, had a hystiocytoma which went away on its own. Iuse a diluted oxydrops solution on it twice a day. I would be careful of using zinc.... it is absorbed into the system and can be toxic.
As far as food, our goldens do well on grain free (Acana) while the other two do better on some grains. BTW, our goldens eat only 3/4 c twice daily, so a total of 1 1/2 cups/ day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts