Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
This is my first time posting on the forum so I apologize if things look a little funny. We just got word that our 5mo golden puppy "Tyne" has HYPERTROPHIC OSTEODYSTROPHY in his radius and ulna (forearm bones R > L). The vet said he also has a little osteocondrosis (OC) in his R humerus but thinks his limp (the reason we had him checked out) is due to the HOD and not the OC.

Luckily it seems as though Tyne only has a mild case and doesn't seem to be in much pain (besides the limp) and doesn't have the fever, vomiting, or diarrhea associated with more aggressive cases. However, it says the only real treatment is constant anti-inflammatories, rest, and time. And that it should resolve around 8-10mo when his growth plates seal.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? Or tried any other treatments for it (physical therapy, changing of food, etc..). We are having to give him sedatives to keep him calm seeing as a 5mo old puppy only wants to be wild- especially ours. And I can't imagine having to keep this up and discourage him from running and playing for 5 more months until he finishes growing (but of course we will to keep him healthy it just breaks my heart). It also makes me nervous to constantly be giving him sedatives and anti-inflammatories at such a young age-- as a physical therapist myself I know what this can do to our human bodies but there doesn't seem to be another option for him. Most articles I have read said the bouts should resolve in a week or so but then may come back 1 or 2 more times until he is 8-10mo but it seems to have been going on for 3 weeks now. Just wanted some insight from anyone who has encountered this!

Thank you so much!

<3 Tyne's Worried Momma

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Keeping a five month old puppy quiet for so long sounds like quite a problem. I've never come across HOD before, so cannot offer any advice, but welcome to the forum. I hope somebody with more knowledge will be able to help.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Do you have xrays? Are they sure it is not Pano? I would lower the protein in the food, give vitamin c, and get on a glucosamine/chondroitin of some sort.

Yea, I would do anti-inflammatories unless it is truly warranted! (Especially for months).

Reactions: cubbysan

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Do you have xrays? Are they sure it is not Pano? I would lower the protein in the food, give vitamin c, and get on a glucosamine/chondroitin of some sort.

Yea, I would do anti-inflammatories unless it is truly warranted! (Especially for months).
Sounds like pano to me too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 5 mo old golden was just dx as well with HOD. Lameness and limp. She is doing well on meloxicam and tramadol for inlammation and pain. This is a rare condition and even rarer in goldens from what my vet tells me. Rest is important during flareups. We have been going on a week now with 3 good days then now back on pain meds. It is heartbreaking to see a pup struggle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Follow your vet's advice - do not oversupplement because the cause of this disease is unknown and oversupplementation may be a culprit. This is one step up from panosteitis and can cause permanent damage, so be careful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! It's so good to read this forum and know that I'm not alone.

Here's what happened with us. I have no solutions and no idea what future lies ahead, but I'm so relieved we have a diagnosis finally.

Thursday Olive (golden retriever, 3 months old) had her 3rd round of shots. She played and was normal the rest of the day.

Friday Olive slept lots. I was concerned, but thought it was a reaction to the shots.

Saturday Olive was still very lethargic, and started limping on one leg. I called the Vet, concerned, but they said she'd be better Monday. She slept and felt like she had a fever. All this time she was urinating and defecating as normal. She ate and drank plenty if I took her food and water. She wasn't walking.

Sunday, early morning, I stood her up and she immediately fell down. We took her to the ER and they gave her fluids, antibiotics and saw a fever of 104-105.

Monday morning, took her to our regular vet. She was pitiful and not moving anything but her eyes.

Monday afternoon, we learned she has Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy. I'm so relieved to know she won't die, and am so glad to have her home. We're taking carrying her outside for the bathroom and can't imagine how she'll go #2. She can't stand and I hold her up to urinate, thank goodness she cooperates, but I can't imagine that she would be so willing with #2.

While I'm relieved and know she's going to make it, I can't imagine carrying her everywhere. I don't know how long it'll be before she walks...months? Can I make a sling for her front and back end?

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,107 Posts
Can I make a sling for her front and back end?
Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry to hear about your pup.

You can use a bath towel and put it underneath her to hold her up. I've also seen online where people have taken one of the grocery store shopping bags that has the handles, cut through it to use as a harness. Here's a video I found that explains how t make it-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there:

So my pup is now 10 mos. Her case being mild, we have only had a few incidents of pain - which is well controlled with meloxicam and tramadol. I wouldn't worry about medicating a pup - it's better for pup to be pain free. Biella's only incident of lameness was the first which led to diagnosis. However, she has had many other problems since which may or may not be attributed to HOD. She is a low energy and submissive dog so she controls her own activity. Doesn't love walks or being with other dogs much.Her growth plates are still open at 10 mos. She's growing slowly. She has had endless bouts of nausea and vomiting which I try to control with pepcid, zofran, and cerenia. A week after her diagnosis she had a crazy symptom profile that no vet can explain. My good friend and Biella's vet did a consult with Texas A&M and they could not explain. Biella had fluid around her pleura (outside the lungs) and couldn't breathe. She was dangerously anemic and required four days of an ICU stay in O2 chamber and blood tranfusions. We tested her for every clotting disorder and immune disorder. All negative. She had her entire body xrayed and ultrasounded. All negative once the fluid was drained. She was treated with antibiotics and chinese herb known to stop the bleeding. This has not re-occurred but I am always vigilant. She has had her labs drawn countless times along with chest xrays and xrays of growth plates. She seems to have bowel issues which cause the nausea (hiccuping and burping always precede the nausea bouts). She has been placed on a special diet (Purina EN) and Grandma Lucy's vegetarian freeze dried food. That way I can control the protein levels (She can only safely digest chicken and fish). Poor thing likes to chew a rawhide or bully stick every now and then so I give them to her knowing she MAY get nauseated.There is nothing diagnosable and I chalk it up to a sick puppy with a little known HOD diagnosis and my vet assures me she will grow out of it. I'm sorry to hear this disease is becoming more common in our breed. And I know the fear you must be feeling. I am not an anxious person, but this has sent me over the edge. The good news is she has been trained as an emotional support animal (I am a psychologist) and she had a great time flying and traveling to see my family in VA. The cold weather was a joy for her since we live in Florida. And they make slings for dogs. I used one with my old golden.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to say... keep a thermometer on hand... the fevers spike out of nowhere! Two weeks ago we had 104.2 for about 18 hrs. Gave meloxicam and ice packs. Fluid and food. The poof! Gone. SCARY.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
This is my first time posting on the forum so I apologize if things look a little funny. We just got word that our 5mo golden puppy "Tyne" has HYPERTROPHIC OSTEODYSTROPHY in his radius and ulna (forearm bones R > L). The vet said he also has a little osteocondrosis (OC) in his R humerus but thinks his limp (the reason we had him checked out) is due to the HOD and not the OC.

Luckily it seems as though Tyne only has a mild case and doesn't seem to be in much pain (besides the limp) and doesn't have the fever, vomiting, or diarrhea associated with more aggressive cases. However, it says the only real treatment is constant anti-inflammatories, rest, and time. And that it should resolve around 8-10mo when his growth plates seal.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? Or tried any other treatments for it (physical therapy, changing of food, etc..). We are having to give him sedatives to keep him calm seeing as a 5mo old puppy only wants to be wild- especially ours. And I can't imagine having to keep this up and discourage him from running and playing for 5 more months until he finishes growing (but of course we will to keep him healthy it just breaks my heart). It also makes me nervous to constantly be giving him sedatives and anti-inflammatories at such a young age-- as a physical therapist myself I know what this can do to our human bodies but there doesn't seem to be another option for him. Most articles I have read said the bouts should resolve in a week or so but then may come back 1 or 2 more times until he is 8-10mo but it seems to have been going on for 3 weeks now. Just wanted some insight from anyone who has encountered this!

Thank you so much!

<3 Tyne's Worried Momma
I would love to hear how HOD played out with your pup! Our almost 6 month old was just diganosed with HOD today- she woke up and wouldn't get up, so we took her out of her crate. Luckily she has been able to walk a bit, and pee on her own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts