Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We just brought home our 8 weeks old pup who has now been with us for 5 days or so. I am having the following issues:

-he is really scared of the leash, everytime i tried to get him comfortable with the leash he freezes and tries to move away from it (even with a really high currency treat - which he will eat a little bit)

-even after playing for hours, he has a burst of energy, he runs around fast and then tries to grab my clothing and sometimes barks at me in play position - I am quite certain this part is not aggression, but just SO MUCH energy - how to deal with this, given I am having a hard time with his leash training (so no walks either)

-lastly, he sometimes doesnt leave his toy, even after training, and tries to pull it towards him

·
Kristy
9,477 Posts
welcome - work on the leash in the house, just let him drag it around when he's out playing. Use treats when he's hungry. You can also use a squeak toy as a reward for moving with the leash. Don't lose sight that he's a very little guy who knows nothing and you won't teach life skills in just a few sessions. It's going to be daily work on obedience and playing with you for quite some time to teach him all he needs to know. They require many, many repetitions even when you think they've learned something. It is just a lot.
Here is a great group to learn from on Facebook, she has a lot of Golden Retriever experience and dog trainign experience and is taking her puppy through lessons to learn to be a great dog. Just click on the "Units" section on the bar and it will take you through everything in sections by age. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2499303943653925

I also suggest kikopup on youtube. Look at attention, puppy Leave it, any of her puppy videos really. If you're not signed up for group classes, I strongly suggest it and stick with classes for the first year or two to get through the puppy stage. Goldens are energetic, bright, working dogs and your puppy is not the least bit aggressive, he's playing. Goldens put everything in their mouths and it will take several months of teaching to have him learn not to chew clothes, put his teeth on people etc. Start now. Read through all the threads on the puppy board and go back through the old ones. YOu can learn a lot with other people's questions. Most of the big issues here can be avoided with daily work on obedience and exercise for these dogs. The search feature at the top is quite helpful to bring up previous threads on any subject you can come up with. Enjoy your puppy. He will grow so quickly.

·
Kristy
9,477 Posts
Here is a thread with the links to some of those videos if you scroll down

Get that puppy outdoors playing, chasing a soccer ball, playing in water, get him a baby wading pool, he needs lots of playtime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts