Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New here and to golden retrievers.

I'm trying to find a dog mostly to retrieve partridge when upland hunting here in Portugal.
At the moment I'm hunting with a brittany but he is not that good retrieving.
I'm looking for a dog that can hunt for 5/6 hours and walk about 10/15 miles, sometimes under hot weather, but I'm not sure a golden retriever or a labrador will be able to do that.
Since everyone as a lot more experience with these dogs than me, I would really appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It really all depends on the dog. Some will be great upland dogs, some wouldnt. That's quite a lot of exercise for the average golden. But what about the other 18+ hours of the day? Goldens are not independent, like Brittany's. They want to be with people and really require living like family to be happy. Too much separation can result in behavior problems. Is that what you're looking for?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I would look for a golden retriever that comes from lines that hunt. I think in Europe that might be a bit harder to find than in North America where lots of people hunt their golden retrievers. I'd look for a line that has shorter fur like a Brittany does. Goldens are excellent upland hunters. They also are great retrievers. The one issue you might have is the heat, as you would with any dog. My dogs have no problem with the distances you suggest. But I'm also in a much cooler climate. Are there streams or ponds along your hunts that your dog could get wet and cool off? Goldens are great swimmers and excell at duck hunting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really all depends on the dog. Some will be great upland dogs, some wouldnt. That's quite a lot of exercise for the average golden. But what about the other 18+ hours of the day? Goldens are not independent, like Brittany's. They want to be with people and really require living like family to be happy. Too much separation can result in behavior problems. Is that what you're looking for?
Hi, no problem there. The dog would be living with my family. I also have a boxer and a border collie.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Perfect. Well then follow Stacey's suggestion above and try to find a golden from hunting lines, preferably one with a shorter coat. All the extra fur gives them great protection, but the feathers aren't the best when upland hunting, everything sticks. You're biggest concern then would be the dog overheating on your walks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would look for a golden retriever that comes from lines that hunt. I think in Europe that might be a bit harder to find than in North America where lots of people hunt their golden retrievers. I'd look for a line that has shorter fur like a Brittany does. Goldens are excellent upland hunters. They also are great retrievers. The one issue you might have is the heat, as you would with any dog. My dogs have no problem with the distances you suggest. But I'm also in a much cooler climate. Are there streams or ponds along your hunts that your dog could get wet and cool off? Goldens are great swimmers and excell at duck hunting.
Yes, plenty of water on the way. No problem there.

One more question, brittanies, setters and other pointing breeds are frantic workers and run the whole time I'm hunting, so the 10/15 miles I walk turns into 30 for the dog.... Does the Golden also hunt in this like this, or does he walk beside you most of the time?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I upland hunt with my golden, and our Brittany mix. The golden definitely keeps closer to me than the Brittany. But he still works his nose to hunt for pheasants. In fact just 2 weeks ago, he found one that our Brittany almost missed because it was camped out in a marshy spot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
what i have seen in the southern united states is they will have a pointing dog hunting the quail and the flushing/ retrieving dog walking at heel or riding on a buggy. the pointing dog points the bird the flushing dog flushes the bird sits soon as the birds flush then are released after the birds are shot. i havent seen alot of this but i have seen it a time or two. requires a very steady dog that knows to sit even with all the excitment of birds flying right in their face.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I agree, goldens hunt close and don't go far away. They have a delayed flush. Meaning they will point with their tails high and flutter them. Then they flush the bird. Watch for a leap at the bird. Some dogs are good at catching birds before you can shoot the bird. They also are very determined to get their bird once it falls. Their mouths are bigger than a Brittany, so they can handle larger birds than a Brittany.

When I work my dog, I do use a whistle. I whistle her back when she gets too far away, and quarter her across in front of me to my other side. Goldens leave no bush unchecked for birds. They miss nothing. So I send my dogs back and forth in front of me. Both my goldens have been excellent at staying close and watching what I am doing. So it feels like a conversation with the dog. I've watched people hunting with spaniels, and the spaniel is oblivious that there is even a hunter in the field. Not so with a golden. Goldens are very proud to bring you their bird.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
He already has a pointer that won't retrieve, what the heck is a GSP going to do for him that the Brittany isn't doing? GSPs don't retrieve either.

Being a golden retriever person I like that goldens both point and flush. I do not know why anyone would want to use a pointer with a flusher. I've heard it done. I've hunted over pointers and they are pain in the neck. They are way to far away all the time. You need a GPS to track the darn things. Then they don't retrieve. I'm still trying to figure out the whole point of a pointer, other than they have a fun personality. Usually when they point a bird, you are so far back, that by the time you get to the dog, the bird has long flown away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My Brittany isn't too bad since he is always pretty close. The thing is that he sometimes retrieves, others he doesn't.
What I would love to have is a good retrieving dog.
Not sure what the best dog for the job is. I prefer goldens to labradors, but I'm still making my mind...
One more thing, where I usually hunt, the dog don't have much of a chance to point, so retrieving is far more important.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
What kind of birds are you hunting, ground feeders or tree sitting type birds? We have grouse that are morning ground feeders. Then ptarmigan like to sit in small trees, not on the ground so much.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Chukkars! My pups love them! Rabbits not so much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your dog retrieves sometimes because of you.
I don't think you need another dog.
You need to teach the one you got. Plenty of people here to guide you thru it.

Buying a Retriever does require you to teach, delivery to hand, just as it would any other dog.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Have seen many pointers taught to retrieve and they do an awesome job. When I took our golden hunting I have seen a GSP and a Munsterlander. Beautiful dogs and both were taught to retriever for their owner.

Poppy is right! Have you worked with your Brittany on retrieving?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I have, I even take for a month every year to world champion dog trainer.
It's really the dog... he gets distracted and drops the birds.
we have insisted on that but no big differences noticed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes I have, I even take for a month every yI sawar to world champion dog trainer.
It's really the dog... he gets distracted and drops the birds.
we have insisted on that but no big differences noticed.
I just googled portuguese chukar hunting to look at your terrain.

What came up was a Portuguese Pointer! Pretty cool looking dog!

In Portugal do you know what a e collar is?
How about Force Fetch?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts