Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beside myself with grief from the sudden passing of our beloved 8 year old Golden retriever. Poncho has been the center of our family, registered with Pet Partners as a animal assisted therapy dog at our local nursing home. He entered our lives at 8 weeks, the perfect companion and saw both of our children through adolescence, high school graduation and college. On August 29th he tore his ACL. Our vet, who is very conservative said that he needed surgery. Knowing that his other ACL could go, we opted for the surgery, as was recommended by out vet. Poncho was discharged on Friday, August 31st:crying: and was doing very well. Tuesday of last week, he began throwing up. I took him back to the vet on Wednesday, suspecting he had an ulcer from Meloxocam, one of the medications that he was on post surgery. They gave him fluids and sent me home with two more prescriptions, one being Sucralfate and Omeprazole, both to coat his stomach. Thursday he wasn't eating but was drinking. We checked on him Friday morning at 3:00 am and he was asleep and breathing but when we got up at 6:00 am, he had slipped away.
I cannot believe that this has happened and I cannot stop crying. We loaded up his body and met our vet at 8:00 who performed a necropsy on him. The result was a perforated ulcer due to the meloxocam. I feel responsible for his demise and wish I could have done something in hind site to save him. I am kicking myself for following the directions of the vet and going through with the surgery. My heart is so heavy and I do not know how to get through this grieving process.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Oh I am so sorry for your loss of Poncho. Please give yourself grace by recognizing you were doing your best to act for his benefit and following advice from your vet. I can tell Poncho was a well loved family member. Many of us here know how painful it is to say goodbye.

Reactions: 1oldparson

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm so sorry you've lost your beloved boy. Please don't blame yourself for this tragedy - you did the very best you could for him. He was well-loved and cared for, and had a wonderful life with a loving family. I hope that someday the happy memories will ease the pain you feel at his loss.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Your gave your Poncho every chance you could to have a healthy and wonderful life. It is common to feel guilty while you grieve for your special Golden you just lost. Be gentle on yourself.
Many here may not know your Poncho but we all share your loss having been down this dark road.
I hope time helps you feel better soon.

Godspeed to your Poncho

dlm ny country

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
So very sorry for this very tragic loss.

Reactions: PNWgoldenlover

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I'm sorry about the loss of Poncho.. please don't beat yourself up over this.. it's not your fault, as others say..I will keep you in my prayers..he was way too young....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved Poncho. He sounds special beyond words. I would have done the same as you - opted for surgery on the advice of a trusted professional. There are risks whatever option you would have chosen. We cannot know the future and you would have felt negligent if Poncho was lame and/or in chronic pain from not having the surgery. It's natural to think about the "what ifs" but try not to. He was loved and knew that.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Poncho. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. Do not beat yourself up over this - would've, could've, should've won't bring your fellow back. You made the best decision you could. There are things that are just out of everyone's control. Keep those good memories close to help you through.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious Poncho, I have added him to the 2018 Rainbow Bridge List.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Poncho - hindsight is a wonderful thing if only we could have it before we made decisions. You were doing the best you could for your boy and had you decided not to have the operation he would have been disabled and in constant pain. For what it.s' worth my opinion is that you did the right thing for him, sometimes fate steps in.

Be kind to yourself and try and remember the happier times you had together, and Poncho slipping away to the bridge as he did he spared you from having to make that awful decision that we all dread having to make

Sleep softly Poncho

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your loss of Poncho.

Terrible stories like this reinforce my resolve to keep my dogs just as far away as possible from vets and bigpharmafia.

Reactions: sophieanne
1 - 16 of 16 Posts