Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I right now have Sharlette on purina puppy chaow. I had her on taste of the wild but she refused to eat it and the vet said put her back on the purina puppy chow for now since she WILL eat it and lets just get her weight back up and then we will think about switching her food. OK so she just finished her first bag of puppy chow a 17.6 pound bag... I bought another bag of it... 17.6 pounds. She had like a hand full of the first bag left and so I opened up the new bag just now to refill her container I store the food in. THE NEW BAG'S FOOD DOESN'T LOOK THE SAME! OMG!!!! here is a picture of what the first bag's kibbles looked like

here is what the new bag's kibble look like

Here is a picture of them both together in my hand so you can see like JUST how dif they are.

they are from the exact same brand.... purina puppy chow.... the bag looks the same and everything.... WHAT THE DUCE?!?!:no::mad:

the first bag's kibble are smaller and hard... this new bags kibble are larger and soft...like soft as in I can smash them between my fingers NO PROBLEM.. they are so greasy feeling too. like just touching 1 left a film on my hands.... I don't have enough of the old to slowly get her use to the new because I wasn't expecting the company to change anything.... do y'all think it will be ok? :crossfing how bad of the runs should I expect from this new change? :yuck:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
All that dye is not good for your pup. Yes I think she will get runny poop from the food you could give her pumpkin ( not pumpkin pie filling) to help with that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Even though they may both be Purina I think they are different foods. The new bag looks like it has semi-moist nuggets in it and it appears to be full of colourants and probably also additives. Are you sure it is puppy food and not adult? To be honest, I would be reluctant to feed this to my own pup, although now it is open you will not be able to exchange it. I think I would go and buy a bag of the best quality puppy food I could afford. Once your puppy is happily eating the main food you could add small quantities of the coloured food into the main food so you will eventually use it up.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are the exact same food (brand and type). purina puppy chow. big blue bag with a girl on it that has what looks like a deagle pup. they both said on the front in HUGE letters PUPPY CHOW. I have pumpkin (pure packed pumpkin) I will give her for sure. UHG. I still have my bag of TOTW that she refused to eat so maybe I will try to start her back on it and see how she does. See if she will maybe eat it now.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Reactions: Pemphredo

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LongLiveYourDog.com - Products - Purina® Puppy Chow® brand Puppy Food Healthy Morsels

If you look, there are 3 different puppy chows, all in blue bags. The 3rd one is marked soft and crunchy or something to that effect. It also shows pictures of the different kibble.
AHHHHH so I must have got Purina® Puppy Chow® brand Puppy Food Complete & Balanced before and now have Purina® Puppy Chow® brand Puppy Food Healthy Morsels™ Soft & Crunchy Bites

..... there isn't a huge dif in the bag..... and it was all stacked in the same spot... like there wasn't any other spot in the store that had the other types.... so strange.... like this bag looks NO different then the other bag I got.... I see on it though that in blue writing not much darker then the color of the bag and fairly small writing Healthy Morsels.... UHG

·
Registered
271 Posts
Where did you buy the food? Some grocery stores/Walmarts will take exchanges for the food (even opened), so you could get her the kind you had before. There is no harm in asking the store, at least.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Check the ingredients since much of the "soft" additions to food are SOY... a huge allergen. Ick!

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it at walmart. So Maybe I will take it back and see if they will take it back... I guess I needed to do like an intense inspection of the bag to make sure EVERYTHING matches exactly since out of all 3 puppy chow types there isn't much of a difference in the bags. SO STRANGE you would think they would make the bags look different...

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ingredients of the "new" food
Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, brewers rice, meat and bone meal, beef, water, animal digest, propylene glycol, sugar, fish oil, salt, dried yeast, phosphoric acid, tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), dried peas, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
M-4037

Ingredients of the "old" food
Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, egg and chicken flavor, barley, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil, calcium carbonate, dried yeast, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
W-4001

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Have to agree - I wouldn't feed it to my dog. The dyes ( are unnecessary and can be harmful) and propylene glycol (is antifreeze) used to keep soft kibble soft is not safe for ingestion at any level. I would work very hard at convincing puppy that a better food is truly good for her.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Take this bag back and exchange it for the the kind she was eating. If it were me I would put what is left of the old into a container, and then take the empty bag with me to make sure I get the same thing.

I have a similar problem with the Pro Plan puppy food I buy, the puppy food and the adult food both have weimeraners on them, and it is much too easy to pick up the wrong one.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for your help and advise. Thank god the walmart is not even 2 blocks from me so it wasn't a hassle to go back to the store. I called them first and they told me to bring the bag back. They did take the bag back and I got a smaller bag of the puppy chow she first had and I am going to slowly mix in the bag of TOTW that I have in with it and see if I can get her switch 100% to it. Again thank you all so much for your help.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I agree with trying to transition to a more meat dense food. The ingredients of the puppy chow show it to be sorely lacking in meat based protein..... there is no meat mentioned until the 3rd ingredient meaning the corn and corn gluten meal are the main ingredients. Also both have soybean meal ( to up the protein).... a very inferior ingredient.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am sure you are sick of hearing this food is not good for your pup but just a suggestion...try another brand like Wellness and see if you can get the pup to switch. If you have Pet Express in your area they will take back opened bags because an animal doesn't like it. You can also get sample bags. It will just be so much better for your pup in the long run; health and allergy wise. My girls did not like Taste of the Wild either but love Wellness. When Cannella came to me she was full of hot spots and itchy from 'beneficial' and the change has been astounding. I put Angelina on it too (although she had been on good food before, just not grain free) and her ear infections are no more. It really, really makes a difference. Good luck to you.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
she was on puppy chow when she came to me and I tried when I first got her to switch her right away ( with a slow transition) but she was real sick, under weight, and refusing to eat anything BUT the puppy chow she was already on. So that is when the vet said for right now lets not try to switch her just yet. lets get her healthy weight wise and not sick any more then we would try again to switch her. She is now healthy. She weighs 12lb 11 oz (as of her last weigh in yesterday) and so I think it would be a good time to switch her. I hated that she was on puppy chow. I researched the heck out of foods and ended up picking taste of the wild pacific stream. Since she had the runs real bad when I got her I wanted to remove all grain. Then finding out it wasn't food but it was coccidia that was her problem and her being so sick the vet threw a wrench in the mix when he told me to just stick with what she was on even though it wasn't the best food. to just get her gaining weight was the most important.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yes I remember, you've been thru quite a bit with that girl! But heck, I bet it is worth it with her sitting on your lap sucking your thumb! Just take it reallllll slow and I know you will eventually get her on a healthier food.

My friend's dog that I'm sitting for gets 3 cups a day of the Walmart stuff (she can't even tell me what it is, he was eating it when she adopted him) and he is skinny. My girls ge 1-1/2 cup a day of wellness (plus some healthy treats and lots of exercise) and they are always on the verge of being over weight. It is the quality of the food I am sure. So Wellness is expensive, but you actually feed less.

Ok, so now I'm waiting for that picture of the thumb sucking (on the other thread!). PLEASSSSEEEE. :smooch: :thanks:

·
Registered
120 Posts
this thing looks likes slow poision to me ...
from my knowledge the first 1 ingredient should always be a meat product + soy n corm are cheap fillers this food looks even worser den pedigree ....

i was complaining about royal canin & eukanuba but after looking at this food they look far better ....

i seriously advice you to not feed this food to your puppy ...
taste of the wild is way better ...
just camouflage the food with some yoghurt or some boiled vegetables
Sweet pataoes , beet root / cauliflower / Carnot / a some spinach /
or you can even try adding a little amount muesli , my baby loves muesli :D :p :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
well sorry i din read the entire post ....
than am the 1 whose so unlucky ya ...

the best available here in india is royal canin / eukanuba :( :(
from what ever I've read on the net these foods are crap

but den i have no option either i feed her rc or euka or den pedigree or home food
guys if you have any advice for the same it would be a big help

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I remember, you've been thru quite a bit with that girl! But heck, I bet it is worth it with her sitting on your lap sucking your thumb! Just take it reallllll slow and I know you will eventually get her on a healthier food.

My friend's dog that I'm sitting for gets 3 cups a day of the Walmart stuff (she can't even tell me what it is, he was eating it when she adopted him) and he is skinny. My girls ge 1-1/2 cup a day of wellness (plus some healthy treats and lots of exercise) and they are always on the verge of being over weight. It is the quality of the food I am sure. So Wellness is expensive, but you actually feed less.

Ok, so now I'm waiting for that picture of the thumb sucking (on the other thread!). PLEASSSSEEEE. :smooch: :thanks:
here is a video I took a while back of her thumb sucking LOL
from when she was 6 weeks old LOL

1 - 20 of 44 Posts