Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day at a local hunt test to watch some friends run and to watch 'Seasoned', our next step. Anyway, had a good laugh and wanted to share it with you.

A young man we had met at other tests was running his Boykin in Started. The little dog is a brown bullet on land but hates the water. Anyway, the entry for the water retrieve was on about a 3 foot high bank, with thick weeds etc. He sent the dog and it kinda slithered in the water,
retrieved his duck and got back to the bottom of the bank. The Boykin got the duck to the edge of the land, hopped out and then pulled the duck up the bank, inch by inch to the top and then picked it up to deliver to hand.

I have never seen a dog drag a duck up a bank before!! It was so funny and cute. Guess wet ducks are really heavy for little dogs and mouths!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Ahhh. They Boykins are so cute! Did you see any Tollers? If I didn't have Goldens, I think I would like one of them.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh. They Boykins are so cute! Did you see any Tollers? If I didn't have Goldens, I think I would like one of them.
You are right the Boykins are adorable. Didn't see any Tollers there. There weren't many Goldens either but lots of labs! The first time I saw a Toller I fell for them because they reminded me of a Border Collie in looks. I was talking with a trainer who had a Toller in for training. She said, they are more into pleasing themselves and not their owner, unlike a Golden. That said, I'll stick with Goldens!

·
Registered
986 Posts
And how did you do?

EvanG

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evan, Proud to say we got out SHR title earlier this month, going 4 for 4. We have our first AKC test next month. Praying he doesn't decide to be a goof ball and marks like he has been when training. AKC Junior isn't as forgiving as the HRC Started.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Rules to run by:

DO: Take a dog that is too well trained & ready to run.

DON'T: Take an under trained dog, and simply hope to survive.

Seems simple, but both 'rules' are often violated. Words to the wise regards.

EvanG

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evan, I agree with your Do and Don't. He did really good in the first 3 HRC tests. He loves to retrieve and really likes the water. In the 4th test we had water last. For some unknown reason on the first mark he picked up a stick on the way to the duck.
When he couldn't pick the duck up with the stick in his mouth he decided to try and push the duck with the end of the stick! Heart failure!! He left the duck, got about 4 feet from the bank, spit the stick out, looked at it as if to say, "Where's the duck?", turned around and went back to retrieve the duck. One of the judges said, "He fixed it on his own, good." The second mark was perfect.
He's never done that before or again in training.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts