Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if it's the cold winter here in northern California, the dog food (Fromm), her growing up, or the shampoo (Earth Bath) but lately my baby's coat seems dryer. It's not as soft. Also, she sometimes gets static electricty/cling.

Wondering if this is normal and anyway to help it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 13wk old Chloe, is on Fromm with no problem we live in Michigan, burr. How often do you bath her and do you dilute the shampoo with water? The vet told us to give her a bath only once every 3-4wks because it will dry out skin and coat but we also just water her down in between with on shampoo.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I try to deeply bathe only monthly in the colder dryer months and just rinse off the dirty area if my dogs get messy inbetween. Use a finishing spray after towel drying then blow dry & a good brush down. The spray/mist will keep the static away and can be used sparingly. You can also get a scented one so the dog will smell all fresh. I have used a Bounce dryer sheet, but just didn't get good results on my long coated breed.

I bathe my dogs when they need it. Some can go a month, some barely make it a week between baths. If they smell dirty & look dirty they ARE dirty. Minor dirty can be gently washed off without a full bath. I also use a gentle shampoo with oatmeal diluted to the max the bottle recomends. Conditioner I dilute and put in a squirt bottle. Some baths I squirt all over, let stand for a few minutes, then rinse off. Sometimes I do not condition during the bath, but mist a small (very diluted) amount on my brush as I brush them in the drying process and leave on. The more stuff you put on a clean coat the more dust/dirt they will pick up.

Oh, and it might also be the different coat coming in. Coop is 4 mo and getting his adult hair down his back. It is not the soft fuzzy coat of his birth, more dull and though soft, nothing like his puppy coat. This is normal, but so sad. Wish we would keep that soft puppy fuzz longer!

Just watch her skin and coat during the drying winter months and don't over bathe especially if you use a normal dog shampoo. Just like our skin, we all dry more in the winter in the heated homes we live and work in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
my max has static too sometimes, and in the winter like now, he has a little bit dry skin cos there is some white dry skin.

What should i do with that white thing on his skin? thanks

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I brush BaWaaJige 3x a week. I have not bathed him since the begining of Oct. If he has dirty on him that doesnt come off with a brushing I use a damp wash cloth with only water to clean him up. His coat is soft and he has no dry skin either.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
The dryness may be because of the heat being on in the house. When I lived in NYC, I experienced this in a big way. It's not as noticeable in No Cal, but the heated air does dry out my skin, and I think the dog's coats.

I picked up some conditioning spray recently, and groomed both dogs with it on Thursday. I'm hoping to wash them less over the winter, and fight off the doggy smell that comes home from the dog park :yuck: with the conditioner.

I also give them oral coat conditioner tablets and salmon oil which helps.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Drier winter air + heat on in the house = static, flyaway fur!

It's always tough during these months. I use a humidifier in my room and I do find this helps. I haven't brought it out yet, but as I was brushing my dog and dealing with all the static, I was thinking it's time! (I was also wondering about spray on conditioners...)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
lola's coat is thicker- not quite as shinny as her lighter summer coat. When I brush her now I can hardly get any hair off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts