Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a dog before that howled.
Bear- who just turned one 2 weeks ago heard the church bells a couple of days ago, stood up and just howled. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. He scared himself, jumped up and looked worried. He also scared Bonnie who came running.
He did it again this morning, for a longer period of time, again scaring himself and Bonnie!
He has been hearing these same church bells- 8:00 am, noon and 5:00 pm every weekday, all day long on the weekends- since he we brought him home at 9 weeks. Why is he all of a sudden doing this?
I cleaned his ears out today because I felt he might have a little water in there from his last swim. I am wondering if he did and the water made the bells sound different?
It's the cutest thing, but I don't know if I would be able to handle him howling all time!
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I agree, there is nothing more funny then a dog that howls. :) I just would not encourage it. Note that laughing with him (or at him), is encouragement to some doggies. :)

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I've never had a howling dog before, either, and now I have 3 dogs that howl whenever the fire siren goes off at the fire station. All the kids run to the window as soon as they hear the siren so that they can listen to Biscuit, Sasha and Vanilla howling. I think it's hilarious. They don't even take a deep breath first, they just put their snout in the air, make their lips into a circle and they start "OOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooing"

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Caue is my first howler. He did it for the first time when I took him to our hometown parade and the fire engines were going by with their sirens blaring. The crowd got a big kick out of it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, there is nothing more funny then a dog that howls. :) I just would not encourage it. Note that laughing with him (or at him), is encouragement to some doggies. :)
Bear is such a clown he would definitely be egged on if I thought he was funny! I guess I will have to go hide from now on if I can't keep a straight face! Living in town we have way too many noisy dogs around so I won't encourage him!
Thanks everyone at least I now I don't have a "weird" dog! :)

·
Breec3
691 Posts
Sadie is a howler, she is so funny:) My daughter was learning to play the recorder last year in fourth grade and everytime she would play Hot-Cross-Buns, Sadie would start to howl, and I like it so much I video taped it. Hard on the ears but oh so sweet.

Lastnight Sadie was in the garage with my Husband and he was whistling while petting her belly, and she was starting the howling thing.

Turn your volume down but here it is:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YliQh-lhhaA

·
Nicole
227 Posts
i haven't heard Barrett (Golden) howl yet but the Border terrier, Paige, has a few times & it is so weird, creepy & funny at the same time! We were watching Cops on our exciting Sat night last week:)p:) and the sirens were on and she started. I nearly choked on my popcorn! i'll have to try & get it on video.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts