Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here hello to everyone
i maybe getting a 1 1/2 year old goldie tommorow how do you think he will be with a new owner do you think he will pine for his old owners.
i want to make him feel safe and loved straight off.
what is your experience of this i am feeling a little anxious.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
All three of mine originally belonged to someone else. Two of them were already over a year old. They adjusted very quickly to being loved on constantly. There is always an adjustment period, however short it may be, but it passes with love and attention. Enjoy your new family member:)

Oh and welcome to the forum, we love pictures:wave:

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Caue came to live with me when he was 8 months and it was very smooth. I think the biggest adjustment was for my other dog Oakly. Lots of love and exercise and you will do fine.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
do you know any of the dog's vocabulary? Sounds like a great age - - do you know anything about the kid??

I'd think he might be shy, scared....or he might be excited about all the new stuff.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
All of my dogs have come from previous owners and all have adapted very easily. They just need to learn the household routine, what is allowed and not allowed. Unless you dog has fears of certain things, I'd bet the transition will be a smooth one.

·
16,000 Posts
There is usually some adjustment period. Depending on how well socialized the dog was, and how confident, it may be very short, or, could take a while. I usually recommend that a person with a "Second Hand Rose" dog take an obedience class with him or her, it's a great way to bond and to get to know and understand each other.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Congrats on your new adoption. With lots of love and attention he should adjust very well. It may take alittle time but will be alright in the end. I have a foster that has been moved around in a couple of homes and she is doing better and better every day.

·
Registered
765 Posts
We've had our Golden for a week, he is MUCH younger..So I think things have came a little easier in Adjustment then what an Older dog going to a new home would be, but we brought him home aroung 11am, & he Finally came out of his shell at the end of that night probably around 9-10pm or so. It did take around 2days for him to really start showing his real personality - & he's just now getting to the point where he has learned our routine.
It does depend on if your new golden has been well socialized, given proper attention & love...etc.. I know before Jake came I was asking a MILLION questions, so that way I'd know EVERYTHING about him, and try and make things more comfortable for him. Just give LOTS of love & attention, & Patience and things will be fine. I could tell When jake wanted to be to himself, and when he really needed to be loved on those first couple days. If you work I'd also try and take a couple days off at least.
Good luck! & let us know how things go!! :D

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I've had four Golden or GoldenX rescues. The first one was really old, the second was probably 9 or 10, the third was probably about 4 - 5 , the last one (in my avatar) was probably 5ish.
They all adjusted really well. The second rescue adored me immediately and was my "heart dog". The third was really scared and took a while to realize he finally had the good life.;) The first and fourth settled in without any problems (other than behavioral problems with Copper since he hadn't been socialized). The second was from somone and I would take him to visit her (she's an older lady), but he sure never wanted to stay with her any more!
I think dogs really live in the "now" and he will adjust and learn to love you very quickly. Just spend a lot of time with him and love on him. They know when they have it good.
Obedience class is a good idea. It has really helped me bond with my new guys much more quickly and you get feedback from someone wiht a lot of knowledge who can watch you two interact.
Good luck. I'm sure you two will be best buddies in no time.

·
Ellesimmo
496 Posts
After a year with Bella, i would say love, time, understanding and get to know each other. Any bad habits can broken by being firm but rewarding when things start to change.

The previous owner never gave us much insight to Bella, so be patient when thing's don't always run smoothly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I got Toby he was only 4 months old but had already been passed around a bit. When I took him for walks he stuck right by me but eventually he started to go off and sniff about. Once he realised he was staying he really settled down and became the sweetest dog you could ever hope for.
I recommend obedience classes, socialing and routine.
Good luck:crossfing

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
I had houseguests this weekend. At one point I had to run some errands and I left the dogs with our guests. When I returned the dogs didn't appear to be missing me at all. I looked out the back window and saw that the dogs were having a great time with their new friends.

My first thought was 'how quickly they would adjust' if anything were to happen to me.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Although my niece would get upset if she read this, they seem to adjust very well to new owners. We take care of her dog for weeks at a time. I've never seen him mourn. He's a happy boy and we love him. I'd keep him in a heartbeat, but my niece loves him as much as we do. The last time he was with us it was for four weeks. I'm sure when Bailey went back home, he didn't pine for us either.

I thought about this with my two. I would never consider rehoming them, but if I go before they do, I think they will be just fine without me...I'm pouting, but part of me is happy at the same time. I would not want them miserable.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I have always wondered if Dillon remembers or ever misses his old owners (I know, applying human emotions to dogs, but I can't help it).. but I can honestly say he completely bonded to us, and us to him, from day one. I think as long as you give lots of ear scratches and nose kisses, they quickly realize they have it good and know you are gonna be a great person for them to hang out with. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi everybody well i got my goldie today he has been on his feet all day i gave hime a long walk but he has been pacing the floor all day and he has been panting and drinking quite a lot of water is this normal
it has been quite a warm day but not overley warm

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sounds like stress. I'd say pretty normal. Let him check everything out and kind of do things at his pace for a little while and he should settle down. If he's not used to a good walk or riding in the car it could cause a little more stress than normal.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Our older Golden came to us after spending a year in his foster home where he grew very very close to his foster dad. When they came to bring him to us at adoption he got a little anxious when they left, but we had a leash in hand and took him for his first walk in his new neighborhood. By the time we got home he was clingy with us for a few days but didn't seem depressed. When he saw his foster dad about 5 months later it was very touching to see how excited he was to see him again. He gave him a happy dance, wagging tail and lots of kisses but immediately came back to our sides. A few months after that we attended a rescue picnic and he went off on his own to find his foster dad to say hi. Every year he makes a point of going off on his own at the picnic to find his foster dad to say hi. It's been 5 years and he still hasn't forgotten the love and kindness of his foster family, yet he's always happy to stick by our sides and go home with us.
I've heard before that dogs don't have long-term memories. I totally disagree!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts