·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Training of course!

Our buddy Crash watches a mark go down

Takes off to get it

And returns with his bird

And we let some black dogs play with us too! This is Hannah, an FTCH, scooping up her bird and taking a look for her retired memory mark

Here is the view from my gun station--it was darned cold up on this hill!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It looks like it was a fun day for you. Nice to see goldens doing what they were bred to do.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Gorgeous photos. Your landscape looks like Nebraska then I saw you are in Ontario!

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,691 Posts
Beautiful photos of some gorgeous dogs :)

I'll be out field training tomorrow - hopefully it won't be too cold!! Short drills so the dogs don't get injured or too cold; there should be about 8 of us plus our mentor, then on to some indoor obedience (heated yay!)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Soooo, where are your dogs photos? Looks like you had some great fun on New Years!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I mostly sat here and watched Amber, she had a few contractions, but nothing serious.

Then I took my daughter Elia out and we collected some birds from a game bird farm for training. Fresh Pup-cicles for Teddy.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soooo, where are your dogs photos? Looks like you had some great fun on New Years!
One of my friends was taking some pictures when I was running my dogs, and was going to put them on a CD for me--so hopefully after training tomorrow I will have some of my own crew to put up!

We were out again today but it was even colder--camera batteries just kept shutting down. It was cold enough there were sun dogs when I was coming home.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
cool, I don't think I've ever seen dogs doing field work in the snow before. Does snow create any challenges for the dogs that they don't face otherwise?

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is harder on the humans than on the dogs! We train all winter unless the snow gets too deep or we get a melt and a flash freeze that turns everything to ice. Those conditions are just an accident waiting to happen. So far it has been a good winter for training--the ground has frozen so we can get in the fields, but not so much snow that they are impassable.

Actually a really cold day like today is almost better than right at freezing. The snow was powdery and light today but when it is warmer it gets crystaline and can scape up their pads.

We do lots of concept drills all winter--the cover is down so it is easier to see the dog to teach them some of those tough marks. Still wish we could do water though! Looking forward to my week south in March!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts