Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 week male picks up EVERYTHING with his mouth which I know seems common but will he grow out of this ?! He literally eats anything and everything. I brought him to a friends backyard today and he was eating the sand in a sand pit. They had mulch (around the bottom of trees for decoration) and he would pick up the little pieces of soft wood and I would be pulling it out of his mouth which would be a big piece for him to swallow! He eats the grass, dirt, puts rocks in his mouth !

OMG it drives me insane, is there any ways I can teach him to not do this like “drop it” or “leave it” ?? How can I teach him this ?

Please help!! He listens to commands such as sit, come, his name, down, stay, speak(mostly when I am training him and I have food) what do I do?!

·
Registered
37 Posts
What I did with Moose was if he was playing too rough with a toy I would put a treat in front of his nose, and right when he would drop his toy I would say “drop it”. I looked up tutorials on YouTube! It helped me TONS. It’s taken a bit for him to listen to me. But finally at 6.5 months, if I say “drop it” he will most of the time-but very reluctantly- drop the dish rag or socks or whatever else’s he’s snagged.
I’m very happy that he finally knows- it took a lot of patience and consistency, but now I’m not having to get up every 30 seconds because he’s picked up something new.
Crazy how puppies can find things that I couldn’t even see!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Honey's leave it it is so solid that she'll look at me for permission to pick up anything I drop, including meat.

This was taught with treats, put one in front of her with my hand over it, remove my hand as I said leave it. I was ready to cover the treat very quickly so she didn't get it until told to. Sometimes she beat me to it lol! It's a fun game that we still play!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with Ivyacres that Drop/Leave are examples of Impulse Control, and that the first step could be to stop him picking up things in the first place.

In the meantime:
  • In emergency you can force open the mouth by putting your fingers behind the last molar on both sides.
  • Pick him up and he will probably drop whatever he has in his mouth.
  • Rusting a bag of food will probably make him drop whatever he has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 12 week male picks up EVERYTHING with his mouth which I know seems common but will he grow out of this ?! He literally eats anything and everything. I brought him to a friends backyard today and he was eating the sand in a sand pit. They had mulch (around the bottom of trees for decoration) and he would pick up the little pieces of soft wood and I would be pulling it out of his mouth which would be a big piece for him to swallow! He eats the grass, dirt, puts rocks in his mouth !

OMG it drives me insane, is there any ways I can teach him to not do this like “drop it” or “leave it” ?? How can I teach him this ?

Please help!! He listens to commands such as sit, come, his name, down, stay, speak(mostly when I am training him and I have food) what do I do?!
Kingdom of Pets is a great online training resource to teach all of the basics and overcome those annoying habits. We used it for our golden Callie and it was SO helpful! Kingdom of Pets

1 - 6 of 6 Posts