Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question that I don't know if I should post here or somewhere else.

My puppy, Goldwin, is about 12 weeks old. We have a baby gate up, but he has started to jump up on it and knock it down or he'll jump up and put his paws on it (it's one of those pressure gates).

What's the best way to get him to stop doing this?

Thanks!!

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
can't say i had this issue with moose.. we used baby gates as well but when he would jump up on them i would correct him..well kinda yell at him and say "no! baddd" that seemed to work

·
Registered
115 Posts
believe it or not one thing that worked great as a correction for Nash was a spray bottle of water. I found out quite by accident when I missed the cat one day and got the dog instead!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about doing a water bottle. I've been doing the "kinda yell" thing and telling him off, but he just keeps on doing it and knocking it over.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
moose wasn't phased by the water bottle.. we tired that and he would just look at us and be like.. what was that.. and continue to do what ever.. THEN he started loving be sprayed with the water.. lol

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
moose wasn't phased by the water bottle.. we tired that and he would just look at us and be like.. what was that.. and continue to do what ever.. THEN he started loving be sprayed with the water.. lol
of course...these goldens are just too much sometimes! :)

but yes, I second the water bottle, it worked for us as well!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could see Goldwin ending up liking being sprayed. LOL He already broke a gate by jumping, and I don't want to have to buy another one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would actually consider getting a gate that screws in as we have those in two other doorways (not just for Goldwin, but for my little twins) but I'd really hate to use one in the spot this gate is......because it would be screwed into my kitchen cabinets.

I should say that he doesn't jump on it every time he goes by it. It's more like if I'm in the kitchen and he's in the living room, he wants to come in with me type thing. I am just trying to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
When are you using the baby gate? When are you using the crate?
---

He is being reinforced.

Each time he jumps, the gate falls down and he gets to you. He got exactly what he wanted-- to be with you. Prevent the gate from coming down. Ignore his wild child behavior and only come over when all 4 are on the floor, etc. Is there a reason he's behind the gate and you're not with him? He wants to be with you. It is an excellent opportunity to bond if you have him follow you around the house with a leash attached to your belt loop. It also presents a ton of opportunities for training and socializing.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Oh no don't ruin the cabinets. Sounds like he just wants to be with you. Is he not allowed in the kitchen with you? If not, the water spray is worth a try. However the spray never worked on our dogs either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL it's complicated.

Since I have my babies (they are almost 18 mos) I have a gate where the kitchen bar (the cabinets and countertop) is. I have the gate there because I don't want the babies going into the kitchen and getting into everything, or going near the stove, etc.

Goldwin is always in the living room with us pretty much all day. His crate is in the living room as well.

If I have to go into the kitchen to throw something away and happen to take too long, say to look in the fridge or get the babies a snack, that's when he usually tries to jump over. I will see him start to jump, and I'll tell him no, off. Sometimes he'll listen for a few minutes, sometimes not, sometimes he'll sit or lay down, but if I turn my back, he'll jump up again. I think that since he listens sometimes, he must be learning not to jump.

Then again, I don't know, I could be totally wrong. It's hard to think like a dog.

I guess it's flattering that he wants to be near me. He is a very loving little guy. :)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I know of some people that use double sided tape to try and curb counter surfing, but could work for gates (puttint paws on it). also putting something startling, noisy, could be a negative for a puppy.
good luck
beth, moose and angel

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Tucker only tried a few times and gave up when it didn't work. The problem you have now is that he got what he wanted to the first time the gate went over. I agree with the water bottle if you're a distance from him. But to start with, position yourself fairly close to the gate (on the side away from him). When he comes to the gate if he jumps up on him, correct him verbally and physically by removing his paws. As soon as all four are on the floor, say "yes!" or "Good boy!" so he know what you want. It will take a bit of time because he now knows the gate can in fact be pushed over. This was the mistake we made with Tucker with counter surfing. He got away with it a couple times and got yummy stuff. The immediate food reward was enough of an incentive to keep him trying for a loooooong time! :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try putting something behind the gate to reinforce it. Maybe a chair with its back against the gate. With jackson I used piece of plywood with a chair behind it to block off the dining room. We weren't sure how he and the parrot would interact.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm having problems with the baby gate too. Bella (14 weeks) also jumps on it but when I tell her "off" she slide her nails down the gate (making lots of noise) and then will sit. That is good, but the minute we step out of the kitchen she is up there again. Sometimes she'll listen when we tell her "off" but not always, so its a lot of back and forth. Last week I left the room and could her her ran to the other end of the kitchen, as I looked to the kitchen from another doorway, I watched her race back and leaped right over it. I literally could see her thinking about how to make it work. So now we have a bigger baby get up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts