Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep, I personally cannot stand people who leave dogs outside all the time. My husband's grandfather has a chow who lives outside (not tied to anything - he learned his lesson about 20 years ago when he had a dog on a rope or something and the dog jumped the fence and hung himself - so sad!!! And stupid on my grandfather-in-laws part) and they let it in the garage when there is a hurricane warning or below freezing temps. I think that is just ridiculous. Why own a dog if you don't want it as part of your family? I don't leave my kids outside in the rain, why would I leave my dog out there?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have no choice but to walk Buddy alone most nights since my husband works way too much. lol. There is one vicious dog in our neighborhood who is kept chained in his backyard. Our neighborhood is small so it's not like I can go a different route. Buddy is oblivious to him. He walks merrily past him (we walk on the other side of the road). But I am terrified of this insane dog getting loose from chain. There is no fence. He is always barking at us and trying to get to us but getting caught up by his chain and being unable to. I always carry my cell phone when we walk (young woman walking alone with a golden retriever in the evening.... ) And I carry my keys (which have mace on them) but I also carry my gun. We have permits so my husband doesn't like me going ANYWHERE alone without it because I typically have a bunch of small kids and our city's crime rate has become ridiculous. You aren't safe anywhere - even the nicest areas of our city. We live in a really nice neighborhood but still... So anyways, first I'd try the mace and if it didn't stop the attack, I wouldn't feel bad to shoot the attacking dog. Sure, it's super sad and all but I'm not letting my dog get mauled by a vicious dog.
Glad to see you are prepared to defend yourself. Just make sure you know your local and state gun laws. Make sure it is ok to use deadly force to protect your dog, unless you would have to shoot to protect yourself from the attacking dog. Would also depend on whose property (private or govt) it would be on, ... If you have a CCW you know the drill. Sad to say but you probably wouldn't want to go to jail, and/or get sued and lose your home, because you broke the law protecting your dog. Two dogs wrestling around would be a challenge - I would be concerned about shooting my own dog.

When I get chased while cycling - usually a squirt from a water bottle into the dog's face dazes it long enough that I can get away. If that doesn't work I have had to resort to a whack with a bike pump.

Pepper spray would probably work - the problem is getting it in the face of a dog in motion running towards you. Before it gets to you. Certainly better than nothing.

Maybe the best defense is a stronger offense - get someone to walk with you. You then have an extra pair of hands to deal with any situation. And have them carry a baton. You don't have to beat the offending dog senseless - just poke it in a soft spot - groin, eyes, ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dog attack

My beautiful two year old golden, Denali, was recently attacked by a dog that chased us two blocks to get to us. I was knocked to the ground with Denali on top, and the vicious boxer on top of Denali with his jaws clamped on Denali's neck. Luckily, a good Samaritan was driving down the street and came to my rescue. Since then I have purchased pepper spray and will not leave home without it. I am discouraged to hear other members post that pepper spray does not work. I to, am looking for suggestions.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to your poor little doggie. How awful!

I have a tough time with Ranger if there's loose dogs. Sometimes just the way he walks - head up, chest out - sends dogs over the edge and they want to attack him. There's a house we walk by routinely that has two huskies in it and they bark, growl, and launch themselves at the window when Ranger walks by. When I walk a different dog past, they don't make a noise. So it's definitely the way Ranger walks.

Keeping that in mind, I've taught Ranger not to make eye contact with other dogs especially if they're loose. We keep at a calm walk and I keep Ranger's head/muzzle glued to my leg. If the loose dog approaches, I yell and stamp my feet then keep walking (while keeping an eye on it). If it keeps coming, I unhook Ranger's leash and keep one hand on his collar...and as soon as the dog gets close enough, I swing the snap end as hard as I can at the loose dog's face. But I ONLY do it IF the dog is aggressive. If it's not aggressive, then usually the stamping and yelling is enough to make it go away. But if it comes near Ranger or I with ill intent, it's getting a heavy brass snap on it's muzzle as hard as I can swing it.

I've only had to do it once but it's super effective. The hard part was keeping Ranger under control while I did it. He knew that dog was looking for a fight and I didn't want Ranger loose and out of control with a loose aggressive dog.

Luckily there's not a lot of loose dogs but there is one house filled with morons who's white boxer seems to always be loose. This dog has accosted us more than once and he gets loose about 2-3 times a week. I talked to bylaw and they said the next time he gets loose, it's going to be about a 500 dollar fine for the owners. Why don't these morons get a clue and fix the fence that their dog keeps escaping from??

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
You could carry bear spray. It's more powerful than pepper spray and I think it would work on a mean dog.
That is all I can own in this area (human use pepper spray is illegal). I can truly say I have sprayed two dogs with the bear repellent... the sound startled one but did not deter the attack... and a little dachsund I sprayed was absolutely oblivious that he had been sprayed. Me on the other hand... I got some right in the kisser... and I must say it does burn substantially more than you'd imagine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How about skunk spray? Nothing in the natural or man-made world worse smelling than that. Just don't get any on you.

And it would be tough carrying the skunk with you on the walk, and aiming it properly. And it would probably require a "concealed carry skunk" permit if you wanted to carry it concealed.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
OMG, how horrific. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. After being charged by several aggresive dogs, I walk with a golf club. Also, Anne (Dallas Gold) bought a combo flashlight/stun gun ( I think) that she carries. She got it at a Bass Pro Shop type place. Hope she chimes in so she can correct me and fill you in.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I don't think dogs have the same type of pain receptors or something akin to that that affects bears or humans. Either that or they have a pain tolerance beyond anything imaginable. I have seen video's of bears being sprayed... and watching them I too assumed that dogs would be devestated by it... I've found from personal experience I was wrong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I guess all the sprays are out of the question. I don't really want to carry a gun because what happens when the dogs are fighting and you shoot the wrong one by mistake? Don't even want to think about that. I know it sounds stupid but when something like that happens to you, you kinda not think straight for a second. Maybe the stun gun idea is not so bad

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
ZapLight - Flashlight Stun Gun - Rechargeable Stun ZapLight - Flashlight Stun Gun - Rechargeable Stun Gun

This is what I carry, but I ordered it from Cabellas at a cheaper price--they don't have it on their website now. I walk early mornings and want something I can use against people or animals. So far I've only used it once, and only to make noise to scare a charging dog away. It happened so fast and I just let it discharge into the air--stopped the dog cold. I don't think it would have much effect on some of the more aggressive breeds though. I also scream and yell at the top of my lungs when I encounter loose animals--it usually wakes people up and they come looking! It's one of my biggest fears--being attacked by a vicious dog on a walk.

Many years ago I carried a hand held stunner on walks. it wasn't very powerful at all and I tested it on myself before I ever started carrying it. A friend and I were walking our goldens and a loose unaltered male golden charged and started attacking my neighbor's unaltered male. I did stun the attacking golden but it took a while to find the correct doggie bottom to put the stun gun on because the dogs were the same color. When seconds count I wouldn't want to rely on it as my sold defense. You need to physically come in contact with the dog and sometimes that is difficult because they move so fast. The attacking Golden actually liked my dog and visited us at the house often (he was a roamer) and he stopped attacking my friend's golden with the zap. It didn't hurt him--just startled him and that was all it took for the dog to get out of the attack zone. I was able to walk him by the collar back to his house and put him behind his gate. The noise frightened my Golden, who was a very mellow, meek and obedient dog--I always felt bad about that but we needed to stop the dog fight because I didn't want any of the dogs to be injured. My friend was very grateful the stunner stopped the fight and got one herself.

I'm so sorry you lost your dog--that is so heartbreaking and I can certainly understand your fears and concerns about walking.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I do not trust APBT's nor do I trust any individual who owns one. The legitimate responsible owners for that breed of dog are vastly out numbered by the ********* who want the toughest dog on the planet. I would suggest anyone worried about dog attacks get a collapsable baton.
I'm not blaming you, because I know that it is not your fault that this stereotype exists, but it really upsets me. So many of these dogs and their owners are truly amazing. I have a good friend with two rescue APBTs who are the best, sweetest dogs in the world and he has done such a good job with them. It is just sad that he gets a bad rap thanks to all the people who handle these dogs with such callous unfeeling.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
ZapLight - Flashlight Stun Gun - Rechargeable Stun ZapLight - Flashlight Stun Gun - Rechargeable Stun GunQUOTE]

Thanks for the link. it sure looks like a nice size to carry around. I will show it to my hubby tonight since he already said I should have something like that.
I'm glad we got this, but I'm not sure it will work in a worst case situation. I personally don't think a gun would be the best thing for a dog fight situation due to the fast action of fighting dogs. Plus I'd be tempted to shoot the tires out of cars that try to run me over when I'm in the marked crosswalk on our route :uhoh:--almost got my foot run over one morning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm glad you are ok, I would have probably smashed his window. So basically if there is a full on dog fight/attack, there is not much you can do. I know that when the owner finally noticed that his dog was missing and saw me in the park screaming my head off for help he tried to choke and punch his dog and even then he wouldn't let go of my dog. I'm sure I will get that Flashlight Stun gun, it will definitely make me feel a little saver walking Tilly.

Thank you everybody for your kind words. I really appreciate it

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
I'm glad we got this, but I'm not sure it will work in a worst case situation. I personally don't think a gun would be the best thing for a dog fight situation due to the fast action of fighting dogs. Plus I'd be tempted to shoot the tires out of cars that try to run me over when I'm in the marked crosswalk on our route :uhoh:--almost got my foot run over one morning.
SOOO glad I'm not the only one!!

Although I was shouting "SLOW DOWN" to some cars....that was until one jerked to a stop, then rolled down his window and started yelling at me. He claimed to be going 5 mph and said that he wasn't anywhere near me. I pointed out that I could touch his car without stretching and that I found it hard to believe he was only going 5 mph. *mistake on my part* He kept yelling, so I slowly unlocked the guard on my pepperspray in case I needed it. Luckily I didn't. :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
SOOO glad I'm not the only one!!

Although I was shouting "SLOW DOWN" to some cars....that was until one jerked to a stop, then rolled down his window and started yelling at me. He claimed to be going 5 mph and said that he wasn't anywhere near me. I pointed out that I could touch his car without stretching and that I found it hard to believe he was only going 5 mph. *mistake on my part* He kept yelling, so I slowly unlocked the guard on my pepperspray in case I needed it. Luckily I didn't. :)
I had one of those jerks one morning and offered to call the police for him to educate him on crosswalk law. I was legally in the cross hatched and clearly marked crosswalk and he was legally required to stop until I got to the median of the roadway according to our state law. When I dialed 911 he drove away. I figured he had something to hide!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm glad you are ok, I would have probably smashed his window. So basically if there is a full on dog fight/attack, there is not much you can do. I know that when the owner finally noticed that his dog was missing and saw me in the park screaming my head off for help he tried to choke and punch his dog and even then he wouldn't let go of my dog. I'm sure I will get that Flashlight Stun gun, it will definitely make me feel a little saver walking Tilly.

Thank you everybody for your kind words. I really appreciate it
Believe me I'd love to do that, but he might be armed with something much more deadly!

The flashlight stun gun may at least give you some confidence to walk, just keep in mind it's not a total preventive for a dog fight. I often arm it when I walk and see a car driving slowly by me when I'm out walking before sunrise. It's always turned out to be harmless, except for one time when the guy was actually following me. I was about 2 blocks from the police substation so I dialed 911 and an officer was dispatched to the scene while the 911 dispatcher stayed on the line with me until I was inside the house. That way the jerk couldn't follow me to my actual house. I had to actually take the battery out of my phone to get my phone out of Emergency mode. I never knew that 911 calls basically lock your phone into the system!

One more thing--the stun gun is pretty heavy. It's not a problem in the winter because it fits in my coat pocket, but during the hot summer I put it in my shorts and it pulls them down. One of these days I may not be able to keep them up!:uhoh:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts