Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel quite silly to be asking this question here. I've tried to enter a dog's registration number in the OFA database, however, no results ever show up. Whether if it's the number of a sire or a dam or a different breed besides a Golden, nothing. It could be that the numbers I'm searching up are not screened, but I've searched up at least 5 different dogs, yet there is nothing.

FYI, all of the dogs I'm searching up are registered with the AKC.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Here is a 12ish minute tutorial video that will give you the background and walk you through how to do it.

If you need a double check, just share the potential puppy parents registration names or numbers here and the forum will help.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the video, LJack! I will watch it later.

Wanted to note that the dogs' numbers I've searched all come from breeders that publicly share them at the AKC Marketplace, none of them will be potential puppy breeders. I wanted to use their numbers to see what the reports on OFA look like. I think that might explain why all of the numbers don't work, people on this forum have told me that the AKC Marketplace is not a good website to find reputable breeders.

·
Read Only
246 Posts
That's quite intetesting.
It's one think for breeders to not provide OFA numbers at all, but it's something else to provide fake numbers. Surely if they provide a number, they'd expect potential buyers to check them?
Can you give us an example number Alexan? I'm curious.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's quite intetesting.
It's one think for breeders to not provide OFA numbers at all, but it's something else to provide fake numbers. Surely if they provide a number, they'd expect potential buyers to check them?
Can you give us an example number Alexan? I'm curious.
Sure, HollyB! Here is an example number of a Golden Retriever sire, named Bakeman's Duke(kennel name: Bakeman Acres, located in Michigan). The number did not work for me when I entered it into the OFA database: SS13228904

·
Read Only
246 Posts
Ah ok.
The number SS13228904 is Bakeman Duke's AKC registration number.
So I think what you're seeing is a dog that is registered with the American Kennel Club as a pure bred Golden Retriever, but has not had any health tests done that have then also been registered with the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals.
They're different organisations.
So it's quite possible that the dogs you're seeing are registered Golden Retrievers, but haven't got OFA entries because they haven't had any health tests done (or the results weren't good, so the owners chose not to post them to OFA?).
I think most people here would say avoid puppies (even from AKC resisterd GR parents) if the parents haven't had the core OFA tests and cleared them so that they also appear on the OFA register.
I'm UK based though, so some US experts may have more info/opinions for you.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Let’s try this... Here are the numbers for two of my dogs. Look them up on OFA and tell me what you see.

Castor: SR90451203
Guinness: SR26904002

Reactions: 153330

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Castor- I see out of date eyes, and he is from frozen semen litter since he was born years after sire died. His sire is of the era that elbows missing does not mean failed, since elbows were not part of the CoE when he was collected. His sire produced several hip issues. The maternal grandsire absent from Castor's OFA page has a difference of reg # so that's why that dog appears to be lacking clearances when in fact he has a full complement.
Bakeman's Duke- there is only one dog on OFA w Bakeman's as a prefix- Bakeman's Golden Amber from 1985.
AKC reg doesn't mean a dog has any health testing at all. Trying to find clearances on a dog with no clearances is not the same thing as the very good example of Castor's MGS- who does have them but due to being imported from Australia apparently reg # mixup occured.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Castor- I see out of date eyes, and he is from frozen semen litter since he was born years after sire died. His sire is of the era that elbows missing does not mean failed, since elbows were not part of the CoE when he was collected. His sire produced several hip issues. The maternal grandsire absent from Castor's OFA page has a difference of reg # so that's why that dog appears to be lacking clearances when in fact he has a full complement.
Bakeman's Duke- there is only one dog on OFA w Bakeman's as a prefix- Bakeman's Golden Amber from 1985.
AKC reg doesn't mean a dog has any health testing at all. Trying to find clearances on a dog with no clearances is not the same thing as the very good example of Castor's MGS- who does have them but due to being imported from Australia apparently reg # mixup occured.
[/]

@AlexanDOG can you replicate what PRISM found? Do you understand where she’s seeing everything she reported? As a hint, for the second dog I gave you (Guinness) you should be able to find a good listing for him in K9Data, but he should turn up nothing in OFA.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pawsnpaca, I did find a good listing for Guinness in K9data, there was one entry in OFA when I entered Guinness' number. Is your dog ERRIGAL GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU, born in 2005?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I try a couple things I’ll put the dogs name. Or sometimes I just put a portion of the name. I also may just put the kennel name. And if I can’t find the dog I may put the dam or sires name or kennel name of that dog ,and look through their OFA as offspring usually will be listed

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
pawsnpaca, I did find a good listing for Guinness in K9data, there was one entry in OFA when I entered Guinness' number. Is your dog ERRIGAL GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU, born in 2005?
That IS Guinness! Good for you... I didn’t even know he had an entry in OFA! That was a DNA panel that must have resulted from a blood sample I “donated” at a Golden Retriever Specialty. I thought it was only going to be used to track cancer incidence, etc., for an ongoing study, but they must have submitted it to OFA. HA! Learn something new every day! 😉

Reactions: AlexanDOG
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.