Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 6 weeks pregnant and have a long way to go before the new addition to the family is here. However, Jakey is still very hyperactive and would like to know what we can do to start getting him ready for a baby.

Jakey is just over 2 years old and I think will be a long way till he starts to calm down. He is always running like crazy and jumping. He is unstoppable. He is not aggressive at all. Either us or the cats can take his toys / food and he just steps back and lets us take it.

But he runs really fast and just jumps on you. He already did puppy classes when he was younger. And I don't want to do classes right now as he does not concentrate specially with other dogs. If he sees another dog, he will pull so hard on the leash playing with him.

We live in a high rise condo so I take him down in the mornings before I go to work, my husband takes him the rest of the times. But he pulls so hard when there is another dog. I got him one of those gentle leads that go on the muzzle and head. That has helped a lot with the pulling when I take him down.

I just want to slowly get him ready for a new born as he is a important part of our family but I'm afraid he is so rough he can hurt the baby or me while pregnant.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Other than stepping-up his training, I don't think there is a way to prepare him. We had a dog when our daughter was a newborn, and our granddaughter as a newborn lived here with Maggie. Never a problem. My niece visited with her newborn this summer and Hank was very gentle. Jakey will be almost another year older and Goldens mature a lot during that second year.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
First of all, anything you don't want him doing, you need to "fix" before the baby gets there. For example, if your dog is allowed on the couch, and you know once the baby gets here you won't want him to do it, fix it now. It is actually more important than ever to take him to a class with other dogs... it is telling to me that he didn't behave as well with other dogs around. You need to get a handle on control in all situations. You will never be able to control jumping if you can't get him back in control with distractions. My first child was born when my first golden(Sally) was 2 1/2 years. Sally was a perfect dog.. didn't have to be on a leash, didn't jump on people, etc. She still drove me nuts when I brought my son home, because it was something else that needed my already worn out attention!! Probably the best advice concerned bringing the baby home: since your dog will be happy to see you because you've been gone, come in first, with your husband carrying the baby. With your husband carrying the baby, then you won't be doubly stressed worrying about protecting the baby. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
And my boys are now 19 and 17 years, so my current crew (9 1/2 years to 2 years) has never lived with babies and toddlers.... they love them and are drawn to them when we are out in public!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny wasn't raised with babies or kids but she seemed to know they were 'different' and has always been much more reserved with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jakey senses that you are 'different' too and is more careful.

I second what Sally's mom says tho about the furniture and the classes with other dogs.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Get the stroller that you plan to use, set it up and start using it with a doll in it. Then practice how he should walk (not cutting in front of the stroller, etc.), getting into an elevator with stroller, dog and baby and all of the actions that will be reality soon! Congratulations, BTW. Some prospective parents like to play sounds of a baby crying to desensitize the dog; I'm not sure it actually helps but probably can't hurt. Sit on the couch holding the doll wrapped up in a blanket. If Jake acts inappropriately like pawing at the "baby", correct the behavior before the real baby arrives. And as Sally's Mom says, change up behaviors now that wouldn't be appropriate when baby arrives.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I am 27 weeks, and Lucy and Dory definitely know that something's different. Both have been known to cuddle with my stomach. They both try to be more careful with me. Lucy takes care of me. It's fun and interesting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Work on any alterations to the dogs behavior before the baby arrives, so he won't blame it on the kid. Be sure to give him plenty of attention after the arrival.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks !

Cute picture of your baby robschonk :)

I'm still early in my pregnancy so I wonder if later on Jakey will know something is different with me. Hes an excellent dog and will be a huge part of our family and will be raised with our new baby. But he can be rough in result of his hyperness. Well continue working with him. He knows basic commands and is good with them, its just when there are distractions he doesn't listen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts