Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this, apologies if this is the wrong section.
I've got the Tito monster entered in 3 shows, consecutive days, in mid-December.
He's entered in 3 events at each of the 3 shows, breed, Open B in obedience, and Utility B in obedience.
Tito's not a real high energy dog in the first place.
I know that between the intensive show grooming, plus the 3 events each day, he's gonna be one exhausted pup.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a mid-morning snack or small meal that might perk him up a bit? I was thinking maybe a bit of beef and rice? Should digest fast and keep his blood sugar up?
He is pretty sensitive to changes in food and treats, so I don't want to do anything too major, just a little pick me up.
Any ideas from anyone???
(I know, caffeine is out...)

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,698 Posts
I have used K9 Go Dog for long agility days - it is more for stamina than quick energy but it might help .. btw; some dogs like my Rowdy love it so much they can drink too much and then need frequent airing :)

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Be careful with any supplements. And consider carefully whether you are asking too much of him.
Agreed.
And the forum tells me I need to type more.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I have used K9 Go Dog for long agility days - it is more for stamina than quick energy but it might help .. btw; some dogs like my Rowdy love it so much they can drink too much and then need frequent airing :)
I use Go Dog for Belle and Teddi too. I don't give them "too" much, they too LOVE it and will drink a whole bucket if I allow them. I give it as part of their "jackpot" after they work as part of their reward. I might give a 1/2 to 1 cup at a time. My agility trainer just tried this with her sheltie who would not drink at trials, and would get dehydrated as the day wore on from working. She loved it too. Hydration is key to keeping energy up.

Is there a way to find out if they are lacking in a nutrient etc when they get so "tired"? I have asked this question with Teddi too. She is a VERY active dog, but has no extra weight so she gets to a level and crashes. She has no reserve to draw energy from and does not know how to conserve... yet.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I thought real hard about whether that's too much to ask of him, but I don't think it is. I've shown him in 6 UKC events per day, 2 days in a row, before and he's done fine.

Breed ring = 2 min. (4 if we go back in for WD :))
Open B = 6 minutes plus sits and downs
Utility B = 10 minutes max.
I'm asking him for about 20 minutes of work total in a day.

I'm not even sure he'll tire out, he might just get bored, or possibly MENTALLY tired?
But he seems to drag between his events, even just showing in open and utility, so I wondered if a little snack might pick him up a bit.
After the first day if he seems like it's too much for him, I WILL pull him from the obedience events the next 2 days. He's my baby after all!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Aw man- the link works for me. It was a link to an old SNL sketch for "Puppy Uppers and Doggie Downers". No help, I know, but you post reminded me of it....sorry you could not get to it!

·
16,000 Posts
Bored can = Ring Sour. Sometimes it's better to do less, and leave them wanting more. And there's a fine line where giving him treats for "Here - perk up!" might be confused with "Here, what a good snail you are." :curtain:

Yes, I thought real hard about whether that's too much to ask of him, but I don't think it is. I've shown him in 6 UKC events per day, 2 days in a row, before and he's done fine.

I'm not even sure he'll tire out, he might just get bored, or possibly MENTALLY tired?
But he seems to drag between his events, even just showing in open and utility, so I wondered if a little snack might pick him up a bit.
After the first day if he seems like it's too much for him, I WILL pull him from the obedience events the next 2 days. He's my baby after all!

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts

Uhhhh....it's not the time IN the ring that gets them.
It's sitting in a crate in a crowded, noisy, bustling grooming area or crating area, or locked in the car, all day.
It's up on the grooming table for an hour.
It's exing in a new area with strange smells.
It's encountering hundreds of new dogs and being asked to ignore them.
It's being in a new, strange place and being asked to perform at a high level despite it.
It's having a stranger take him for that "2 minutes" in the breed ring and expected to like it.
It's having an upset stomach from the stress and not being able to take a time out.
It's spending the night in a strange hotel room.
It's traveling in the car there and back.
It's 72+ hours of work, and then some.

You have to know your dog but if you are asking how to perk him up -- I think you know your answer on whether it's too much or not.
Personally I would not ask Fisher to do 3 days in a row of breed AND two obedience classes. 3 days of breed is a lot, and I NEVER do 3 days of obedience -- not even in novice, much less open + utility.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I can see that with the treats, I don't want to reward sulking or lazy behavior.
I really am not looking for a supplement, either, I just wondered if giving him a small meal of something easily digested might be a good idea?

Bored can = Ring Sour. Sometimes it's better to do less, and leave them wanting more. And there's a fine line where giving him treats for "Here - perk up!" might be confused with "Here, what a good snail you are." :curtain:

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a lot of validity to this.
We are also entered in 3 events in one day the week before that, I guess I will see how he deals with that day and then decide.
The 3 day shows haven't closed yet, so I could still get my money back...but it's also the LAST shows until the end of January in this area (in obed).
I really am undecided about it, and I (going back to this) thought a mid-day snack might make him happy.
The way Tito is (is this common?)...as long as he's walking around the show, inside OR out, he's fine. We can go outside and walk for an hour, come back in, and he'll go in the ring and do whatever I want him to do. We can wander around the show inside and watch the other dogs for even 2 hours, and he'll still be fine going in the ring. But if I put him in his crate for any amount of time, then I might as well forget taking him back in the ring. It's as if he decided he's done for the day???

Uhhhh....it's not the time IN the ring that gets them.
It's sitting in a crate in a crowded, noisy, bustling grooming area or crating area, or locked in the car, all day.
It's up on the grooming table for an hour.
It's exing in a new area with strange smells.
It's encountering hundreds of new dogs and being asked to ignore them.
It's being in a new, strange place and being asked to perform at a high level despite it.
It's having a stranger take him for that "2 minutes" in the breed ring and expected to like it.
It's having an upset stomach from the stress and not being able to take a time out.
It's spending the night in a strange hotel room.
It's traveling in the car there and back.
It's 72+ hours of work, and then some.

You have to know your dog but if you are asking how to perk him up -- I think you know your answer on whether it's too much or not.
Personally I would not ask Fisher to do 3 days in a row of breed AND two obedience classes. 3 days of breed is a lot, and I NEVER do 3 days of obedience -- not even in novice, much less open + utility.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Does he not like going in his crate/being left and then stop working for you? Or does he go to sleep and you cannot get him back up?

I keep the dogs in crates/ex-pens when they are not warming up, training, pottying or running. They like their crates, for the most part they sleep or lay there and watch people. When the door opens they are going full blast...

As far as trialing, I do give some extra goodies that I don't normally do, but more because they like them, than for any special purpose. Some things are fresh blueberries, pieces of banana, peanut butter sandwich pieces...

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I agree with the 72+ hours of work. Just *being* at a show can take a lot out of them and personally, I think the grooming is really tiring for the dogs -- and I have to wonder if the "brain switching" from breed to obedience takes more out of them than we realize?

I don't know if I'd ever really consider doing breed + obedience on the same day for that very reason... (Nevermind the fact that my dog has no "boys" and would be laughed out of the conformation ring even if he did!) ;-)

BUT - if you want to try it... what about a hit of Nutrical? I know lure coursing people sometimes use it between runs.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He loves his crate, especially if "humpy bear" is in there ;).
It's like he goes to sleep and then doesn't want to get moving again.

Does he not like going in his crate/being left and then stop working for you? Or does he go to sleep and you cannot get him back up?

I keep the dogs in crates/ex-pens when they are not warming up, training, pottying or running. They like their crates, for the most part they sleep or lay there and watch people. When the door opens they are going full blast...

As far as trialing, I do give some extra goodies that I don't normally do, but more because they like them, than for any special purpose. Some things are fresh blueberries, pieces of banana, peanut butter sandwich pieces...

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
BUT - if you want to try it... what about a hit of Nutrical? I know lure coursing people sometimes use it between runs.
I know flyball people who use this as well... Also plain honey... Never done it myself... And honestly, the people I know who did, had pretty high energy dogs already and I never noticed a difference...

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He has no problem at all (in AKC) doing 1 breed event and 1 obedience event in the same day. In UKC (much much smaller shows so different atmosphere) we've done 2 breed events and 4 obedience events in the same day, and he did fine (Q'd all times).
As I read everyone's answers, and analyze this, the real problem seems to be the hanging out between events, especially if I put him in his crate. If all 3 events were within a 2 hour time frame, it would be no issue at all.
But in Open B and Util. B, there's likely to be 4 hours or more in between the 2 events.
What to do, what to do....
I hate to throw away money by entering him and then marking him absent day of show (in obed) because he's acting like a slug.
I hate to not enter him since there are no more shows for so long.
What to do, what to do.....

I agree with the 72+ hours of work. Just *being* at a show can take a lot out of them and personally, I think the grooming is really tiring for the dogs -- and I have to wonder if the "brain switching" from breed to obedience takes more out of them than we realize?

I don't know if I'd ever really consider doing breed + obedience on the same day for that very reason... (Nevermind the fact that my dog has no "boys" and would be laughed out of the conformation ring even if he did!) ;-)

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
It's like he goes to sleep and then doesn't want to get moving again.
Maybe getting that good rest in his crate is what he needs... Maybe you can find a way to get him up and going again. Maybe some short retrieves (flexi) for wings, bumpers, playing tug... Something to get him up again...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts