Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - So we have an 11 year old male Hunter - that we've had since he was a puppy. We decided to take another dog - his sister - who is 9 years.
They seem to get along well with each other ... they don't really have anything to do with each other so I guess that's why. :p:

Anyway, we just got her home yesterday and we had 2 issues with her going after Hunter when he gets near me or the kids (they r 6 and 3). This morning we had 2 more and the last one kinda scared me.
Hunter walked by and she lunged at him, i put her down and said no, she seem to be fine so I let her back up, then she did it again. And my 6 yr old was in the way. I told him to move and put her down again saying NO and she continued to fight me and growl a bit. When I let her up a little she stopped, but I still held onto her neck until she relaxed a bit.

My question ... how much time do I give her to mesh into the family? I know now that I cannot leave her unattended like I can Hunter cuz I cannot trust her. I plan on taking her and Hunter out this afternoon once its warmer to play and maybe more of that will help them to bond better?? I knew she was protective, but I didn't think it would be to this extreme, or at this point already.

Just some ideas would be nice. She is such a great girl, very cuddly, and been great with the kids (she has been laying with them while they play cars) but the second she feels that Hunter is getting too close - she growls. Just a little afraid the kids might get in the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My female will tend to guard us, especially my husband, when we have a new foster dog in the house. We tell her she has to go lie down and she does. We just have to be totally aware of what she is doing, because it's very subtle.

I would suggest that you stop putting her down and holding her down, because that can cause the opposite effect from what you are trying to get. Alpha rolling can cause more problems, instead of helping. It can also erode her trust in you, which is never a good thing.

Instead, I would keep a leash on her at all times and watch her body language. She is giving warnings before she "attacks" your other dog. Her body is getting stiff, she is raising her head and her tail, she is looking at your other dog. When you see this happening, you need to break her concentration. Pick up her leash and say "enough" and walk her out of the room. Also, if you see her getting between you and your other dog, pick up the leash and move her. Usually, they are very subtle about getting between you and the other dog. Lots of times they are being wiggly and endearing to the humans, while guarding you. We actually tell Jasmine "no guarding" and she will move away from us.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Find an appropriate professional to help you. Punishment can increase frustration and aggression, and you especially don't want to risk that with the young kids in the house.

This paper from the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior is about how to find professional help for a pet with a behavior problem:
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/finding help for a pet.pdf

Some things to do now: Do not put her in a situation where she might get worried. Every bad experience she has can increase her concern with Hunter being around.
Manage the situation, so the dogs are not loose together indoors. Rotate dogs using crates, gates, and closed doors.
It may be appropriate to have them together outside, but a professional would best help you determine that...
Learn to read canine body language.. resources like dogwise.com have products specifically about canine body language.
If you have someone who can help you...and someone to watch the kids... taking the dogs on leash walks together (off property) could also be a good plan.
Separately, teach each dog to remain in place, respond to name, come when called, and go to mat. When they are very proficient and after you've had professional assistance, you will find these useful as you re-incorporate everyone into the house hold.

It can be done and you can do it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts