Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
a new day everyday
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what the best ways/methods of introducing a puppy to the water (lake/ponds) and getting him to start swimming eventually.

I have tried to get into the water with him, treating him when he comes forward but he eventually returns back to land.

I don't know how long it usually takes to get used to it, but I thought once they're introduced to it, they quickly learn to love it.

Any interesting tips you have found really helpful or to be working for your puppies when you first started?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
We tried to get Jack into our pool when he was younger, but he wasn't having any of it. I think it was just scary for him initially. Finally on the 4th of July we were at the beach and he waded out in the water on leash with my husband. Evidently my husband had to give him a little tug on the leash to get him to follow out into the water, but he started swimming immediately. He swam for hours that day. Now he jumps into the pool with no problem.

Maybe keep him on leash and go in with him? That seemed to be the ticket for us.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I bought Joey a kiddie pool when he was... 10weeks old? and i started sitting in it with him and he sorta got the hang of it, then just 2 weeks ago we went to the boat launch in town and these little boys were there and Joey swam right out to them. I was very surprised but he loves swimming!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Before Hector arrived with us I bought him an 'apple' kids pool and sandpit from Argos which was on sale for £14.99 for the 2. He's still a little uncertain but does sit with both front paws dangling in the water. He'll only be 9 weeks old on Tuesday. Considering we live in middle England and are as almost as far away from the coast as you can get, we wanted him to be used to water as we shall be visiting friends and relatives near the Norfolk/Suffolk coast often!

With the warm weather past couple of days we've had fun!! We can also recommend the Crazy Daisy Sprinkler on Amazon if you've got a hose pipe and no ban! LOL:)

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I started Scout when she was little in kiddy pools and wading in shallow streams and mud puddles. For the deeper stuff I would wade out with her. Throwing stuff for her to retrieve helped as well. You can also carry him out to deep water (not far) and let him swim to shore and support his belly so he learns to use his back legs and not doggy paddle.

Just take things slowly and he will get the hang of it. At 3 months old he isn't going to have the confidence yet to be a very good swimmer.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
My dog was quite apprehensive at first, too. I took her to the ocean at 10 months and she was terrified. So I found a veeerry calm and quiet lagoon. She would wade in, but refused to take her paws off the ground. Even if I went in, too. But it got difficult to resist me tossing her ball in.

I started very slowly - tossed it to where she could reach it with feet on the ground. Tossed it a bit further... and a bit further. The first time her paws left the bottom, I could see a brief instant of panic on her face. But instinct took over and she paddled, and as soon as she realized she could swim, she was sold! I stuck to lagoons and calm waters for the first little while. Only when I knew SHE felt very confident did we move to bigger lakes and the ocean. Now she loves it!

Good luck! I know your pup will live it once he's ready :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I started Scout when she was little in kiddy pools and wading in shallow streams and mud puddles. For the deeper stuff I would wade out with her. Throwing stuff for her to retrieve helped as well. You can also carry him out to deep water (not far) and let him swim to shore and support his belly so he learns to use his back legs and not doggy paddle.

Just take things slowly and he will get the hang of it. At 3 months old he isn't going to have the confidence yet to be a very good swimmer.
Ditto. Be patient and let him learn at his pace. Don't force it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that forcing a pup into
The water is a good way to leave a everlasting "bad experience" with water. I have also have a 3 month old and he would walk with me to the creek and fields and one day just decided to jump right into the deeper area of the creek for a swim around, and now he doesn't pass up a body of water for a quick swim. He is still young and doesn't go out far at a time but swim a circle and heads proudly back to me to show me what he did :)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My son just happened to teach Tucker how to swim unintentionally. I am so glad I was there to watch, it was a beautiful moment. My son was 10 at the time and Tucker was a couple of months old. We went to a local lake with a beach for the afternoon. My son had Tucker on a leash and was walking with him in and out of the water. My son started to wade out a little further, Tucker walking circles around him. As they got a little deeper, when Tucker started to circle, he started to float. I saw a momentary look of panic in Tucker's eye. Then all of a sudden, there was a "light bulb" moment, you know the kind in cartoons where the character gets a light bulb over there head. Tucker all of a sudden got a big smile and a "I know what do!" His instinct kicked in and he started swimming circles around my son on lead. I could not have scripted a better way for Tucker to learn to swim. Can't wait to see if this works with another pup, if and when she ever comes...

So bottom line, don't push it, let them discover it for themselves. I am convinced that their natural instincts will kick in, and they will just know what to do...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I started Sammy out with just a kiddie pool in the backyard. it took about half an hour but she eventually went in on her own and now I have a hard time keeping her out of any pools or lakes or rivers lol

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
We put both our puppies in our swimming pool at 8 weeks. Forced? Called it what you will. We started training from day one how to swim and get in and out of the water. Before you know it they were swimming like pros and love every moment of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first Golden, Winston, never really swam. He would go into the lake but only deep enough so that his feet stayed on the bottom of the lake. However, Tucker has been a water dog since the first day he came home at 8 weeks. He used to sleep wrapped around his water bowl with his ear dangling in the water. We bought him a kiddie pool and he climbed in immediately. If there was a cup of water in the middle of a football field Tucker would find it and try to get as wet as possible. He has already been swimming several times this year, including today and it's only March in Northern NY (although it has felt like summer all week).

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
We took Jack to a campground near where Kahuna lives & there were alot of small fish in the shallows of the pond.He couldn't resist trying to catch them!He's loved the water ever since.I've got a pic somewhere of him catching the fish in front of the no dogs allowed sign LOL.The owner of the campground Mr Sawyer thought it was funny!! We go there often now because he was such a good sport.(By the way I didn't see the sign untill I took the pic)He was about 5months old.Thanks for the memory

·
Registered
199 Posts
We took Jackson to the park last weekend and there are a couple of ponds. Where we walked down to the water there was a large round rock sticking up out of the water about 2 feet from shore. I think jackson thought it was a ball and wanted to grab it, he jumped in to get it. The rock was a lot larger than he thought... But he had a ball !

He then kept running out into the water, I was throwing a couple of large pine cones in and he had to run in and grab them. Seems I forgot to bring a ball with us, and he found the pinecones along the shore. That included sticking his head under to get them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts