Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Emma is our new GR. She is almost 10 wks old. Our first girl, (RIP Hannah) loved water and swimming. This weekend we took Emma to a small pond and she did NOT like it. Also, today I tried to get her to walk/play in a puddle. No way. Any advice? Do you think eventually she will learn to like water? Thanks for any suggestions.:)

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I would start smaller. Do you have a kiddie pool? This is what we started Chester off with and he loved it.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I second a kiddie pool. Flora loves her pool back home, and that was her first "body" of water that she swam in. Nowadays I can't let her off leash near bodies of water because she will take a swim in it... no matter how nasty it is.

·
New Dad
254 Posts
try the kiddie pool, at first with no water. get the pup to go in and praise and lots of good treats.. once the pup is comfortable with no water try adding water. Honey wasnt crazy about water at first and now you cant get her out of it

·
Mum to Alfie and Harry!
1,654 Posts
try the kiddie pool, at first with no water. get the pup to go in and praise and lots of good treats.. once the pup is comfortable with no water try adding water. Honey wasnt crazy about water at first and now you cant get her out of it
I second this advice - my boy HATED water to the point where he was physically shaking, to begin with. Now he can go in water a couple of inches with no problem. We're slowly raising the level of the water. Im sure Emma will get there no probs! :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was a tad worried when she wouldn't go through a puddle of rain...it wouldn't be horrible if she didn't like water. But I know how much she would be missing!!! We will get a kiddie pool. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I think it really helped our dogs to see other dogs loving the water and swimming, and to see us go in and swim ourselves. We didn't put any pressure on them really, as with past dogs I found that putting pressure on them to come in actually made them fear the water more. Just try to make it all sooo much fun, and borrow a water-loving dog as a role model for her!

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
I think it really helped our dogs to see other dogs loving the water and swimming, and to see us go in and swim ourselves. We didn't put any pressure on them really, as with past dogs I found that putting pressure on them to come in actually made them fear the water more. Just try to make it all sooo much fun, and borrow a water-loving dog as a role model for her!
I agree with this, fwiw.... :)

We also had fun at bathtime, or I frequently would put our guy (when he was a puppy) in the bathtub and fill the water up just enough so he had fun splashing around and diving at toys. I'd sit on the side and stomp the water to splash him and get him into play mode. <- He was a winter puppy, so this was somewhat necessary.

Getting him used to the lake the first time - I just waded in along the edge and splashed the water like I did with the bathtub. Don't ask your puppy to swim at this point.

And also I took him to the lake on hot days. And we took him to the lake with our older golden and our collie.

The collie was the only dog who ABSOLUTELY refused to have anything to do with the beach, much less the water. :p:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll just take it easy. Still trying not to compare her to my Hannah (RIP). Just because Hannah was a water-baby doesn't mean Emma has to be...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts