Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He said "Yeah right!" Youre not getting me in there! Ill give him a few more days to get him used to his surroundings. I tried using treats, but he wanted nothing to do with it. The woman who gave him to me said he did fine with baths. Any ideas? Hes huge, I dont think I could pick him up if I had to?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Two of my goldens jump into the tub readily. Conner, however, is another story. I have to lift his front end first, then his rear end. Have to move fast or his front will be back out before the rear is in. Once he is in, I block him from jumping back out with my body (this does result in me being soaking wet).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Funny how dogs who love the water so much run in the other direction when you say "bath"
Both mine hate bath time and will not come in the bathroom at all. So I put on thier collar and leash, walk them into the bathroom, and if I stand in the tub and say "come on" in a real happy voice--they will jump in the tub LOL --once they are in they are fine and I can take off the collar and get on with things.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would suggest getting some treats and use them to get him in and out of the tub while there is no water in it. Also, practice sitting and lying down if he can do those commands. That way he won't be scare of the tub and think positive thoughts because of the treats. I would run the water with the drain open so the water will be draining out. Invite your dog into the tub make him sit, give tons of praise reach over and close the drain and let the tub fill up.

We use a big cup or pail to get the water out of the spout and pre soak gently and begin putting the soap on his back. Then we would use the water on the bottom of the tub to start rinsing. Drain the tub and use the water from the spout to give the final rinse. Have plenty of towel available. We start the drying process in the tub, place a towel on the floor of the bathroom, bring him out with a treat, more drying and then we finish the drying in the bedroom on the floor with tons of towels.

I would suggest wearing a bathing suit, LOL

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Honey loves to have her favorite tennis ball in the tub.They need bath too.LOL

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Do you have a shower stall by any chance? That's what works well for us. A glass enclosure and hand held shower head is a must!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I can't help with this one. I have to lift all three of mine into the tub. They come into the bathroom willingly enough, but will not get into the tub. LOL

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
As a puppy, with Natasha, the problem was keeping her out of the bathtub whenever I took a bath. But that's not your problem.

My first dog was a poodle. I swear he was psychic, because if I thought "Buster needs a bath" he would look at me and go hide somewhere. What worked for me was the leash. In Buster's mind the leash was 'all powerful' and he was in my control. The moment the thought "bath" occurred to me I would clip the leash to his collar. We would walk into the bathroom and I would close the door. Once the door was closed he would resign himself to his fate and either walk into the shower or jump into the tub.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
They know words :)

At my mom's house, we can't say the w a l k word (we have to spell it) unless we really mean to take her Yorkie out. It goes insane when you say that word.

I can get Gilmour's attention from anything by saying "You wanna cookie!"

As a puppy, with Natasha, the problem was keeping her out of the bathtub whenever I took a bath. But that's not your problem.

My first dog was a poodle. I swear he was psychic, because if I thought "Buster needs a bath" he would look at me and go hide somewhere. What worked for me was the leash. In Buster's mind the leash was 'all powerful' and he was in my control. The moment the thought "bath" occurred to me I would clip the leash to his collar. We would walk into the bathroom and I would close the door. Once the door was closed he would resign himself to his fate and either walk into the shower or jump into the tub.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
You could also try something like putting peanut butter on the walls of the shower/tub. Tucker voluntarily jumps in the tub when it's time for his bath, but we got him used to it at a very early age. He even jumps in the tub when it's not bath time! He just loves licking the shampoo off of his butt during his baths. :doh: We do have to help our GSD into the tub since she has arthritis and it's a bit hard for her to climb in, which is why we limit her baths to only about once every month or two.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
I have the opposite problem - can't remember the last time I got to shower without a head poking in around the curtain....which is a big improvement over the head and two front feet in the shower with me...
Erica

·
Registered
494 Posts
One of mine is this way also. I have an old lease and collar that I put on her. I have a couple of treats with me and get her in the bathroom. Then get her front paws in the tub and give her a treat. Then she will get in the tub and I give her a treat. I tie her lease to the grab bar on the shower wall. I hop with work someday she will jump in on her own like the other two.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bathtime is my daughter's domain. Sophie will avoid it at any cost, and will keep trying to get out while being bathed. Duke can't get in by himself, but once he's in he's a sweety about it. With Sophie, we have to corner her in the bathroom, and lift her in, all the while she's trying to escape. It's a good thing she's only about 50 lbs. With Duke, we just put the front in first, then the back in afterwards. He's just too afraid to do it himself.

We bathe the dogs in our jacuzzi tub which is deep, and has a telephone type shower head. My daughter has specialty clothing when she bathes them... a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

I've always wondered how to bathe the dogs in the shower without getting all wet myself.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Gunner loves the tub. I usually wash off his feet/legs when we come back from walks to get the salt, dirt, or whatever off. I'll walk in the house and say, "Let's wash those feet" and he will run to the bathroom. I pull back the curtain and in he jumps. Same way with a bath.

Do you have a small swimming pool? Gunner started out with going in there and when I first turned the water on in the tub he came running. He loves drinking out of the hose so he was very interested in the faucet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts