Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new here :) Me and my husband got our golden at 8 weeks. He is now 4 months old and just recently started to get on the couch. He never did this before until just about 2 weeks ago. When we try to pick him up he bites like he is mad for taking him off the couch! So we have been trying to work on the "off" command and he seems to listen, gets off the couch, gets his treat BUT then goes back on the couch :( repeat the process! It is getting frustrating, now no one can sit on the couch as it is now full of boxes and a laundry hamper so he can't jump on it when we are not watching (this means we turned around, went to the kitchen quickly, etc, he is crated when we are not home).

We do not start obedience class until after the holidays so I am hoping to get some advise here in the meantime. What am I doing wrong that he thinks "off" mean "come and get your treat and then you can go back on the couch"??? When I try to sit there, he tries to jump at whatever little space there is left for him, so much I have just stopped sitting on the couch (we have a bother smaller chair that leaves no room for him), he goes an jumps on me anyway. Any tips on how to train him??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know....he seems very comfortable in it ;) I totally know what you are saying. But DH is adamant on not letting him have the couch. The only thing I don't like is he sometimes puts his nose in between the cushions and on the back and scratches them. I tried cleaning those spaces thinking we might have food and crumbs stuck there but he still does it and we have a relatively new and pricey leather couch ;) Had I known this, I would not have gotten this couch almost a year ago :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
We don't like Ozzy on the couch either. I just prefer not to have all the hair and he's getting so big. Plus he can be a bit pushy when we have people over. I just continually tell him off. Eventually he get's tired of trying. I also try to get him to sit and pet him next to the couch before he jumps up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know just what you mean. My Harvey isn't allowed on the couch, not that it stops him from trying! He's 4 months old, and as hard as it is to say no to him when he's just quietly lying there, I remind myself that I have to be stern and stick to my guns. No beds, no couches, no furniture.

I find that telling him down and physically bringing him off the couch if necessary works, then he gets a treat to teach him. I keep a blanket of his on the floor with some toys which is usually enough to distract him from jumping up. He is getting better with it, and now only jumps onto the couch when I'm lying on it myself, or when he's tired. I'll bring him down and sit with him on the floor, or bring him to his crate to sleep instead.

They will get there...one day!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Manage him so he can't get on the couch. Keeping it blocked, like you're doing, works, as does teaching him to lie on his dog bed near the couch when you want to sit on the couch and have him in the same room with you. Get a super yummy bone that he only gets during "family time" when he's to be on his bed so you and your husband can be on the couch.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
But DH is adamant on not letting him have the couch. The only thing I don't like is he sometimes puts his nose in between the cushions and on the back and scratches them.
Same here, DH does NOT want Bayne on the couch. I try to say I do want him on MINE only and mine is an old freebie couch that someone was going to give to freecycle and I snapped it up.

DH seems to think that if he is allowed there then he will get up on all the furniture. And yes, Bayne also puts his nose down the corners and under the cushions or will start to try to climb on the back. I will then get up and tell him off, he lays back and shows a little teeth with no growl when I reach for his collar, he will get down on his own, but is ready to jump right back up if I'm not quick.

I would also like to just have him on the couch only if he remains calm and is used for napping.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Vicky looks just like my house! Goldens and yorkies, no humans! Our den furniture is old so I donated it to the dogs. I throw a spread over it so it can be washed, but the humans just moved to the computer chair or breakfast table. At the farm the couch is smaller and my yorkie male won't let the goldens crawl up, so they have beds beside the couch. I gave up after swearing these goldens would not get on the furniture. That bold statement lasted about 1 month.

Figure they are our kids and if they want the furniture, it is theirs!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im with your husband on this. A puppy has not earned the privilege to sit on the couch. There is nothing worse then a big, wet, muddy, dog that bounds in from the outdoors, takes a giant leap on to the couch and decides to dry himself off on your furniture with no regard to anyone that might be sitting there.

It seems like most 4-5month olds go through a couch/furniture obsession. They are finally tall enough, strong enough, and coordinated enough to jump up... and... the view from the couch is fantastic!

Manage they way you are and work with your pup to learn how to 'hup-hup' and 'off' from something that is appropriate like a short box, dish pan, or plastic tote.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Stick to it and don't waiver!
Mine thinks he owns the couch. If anyone even goes near the couch he is on it first and then sits on you and is in your face. It is a terrible habit that I have yet to break him of and I fear the older he gets the harder it will become. Plus, when I ask him to get off he looks at me like I have 3 heads! I like my dog on the couch but I don't want him dominating like he does.

Just writing that hopefully will get me in gear and start working with him!! :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions! We will keep at it. He loves the couch more than his bed or his crate or any other place in the house :( I was joking with my husband that we should get a couch looking bed for him (like a smaller version of it and he can sit and scratch at it all day long if he wants!).

Yeah, if he is calm the whole time I'd let him sit next to me. But the scratching bugs me! So until then he does not get the couch ;) Maybe when he is older and mellow :) I cannot wait!!!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
The do make those kind of doggie beds and it might just do the trick. They like the couch because it elevated and they can snuggle against the back.

I was going to say to keep a leash on him and use that to make him get down..I like the 2-word command of GET DOWN rather than the word 'off' which sounds to soft to me. But anyway, by taking the leash instead of a collar you won't give him an opportunity to pretend he's going to bite. Then reward him with a toy. Step on the leash so when he goes back to get on the couch, he can't get to it. He'll look at you, reward with a treat. The idea is to reward him for NOT getting on the couch; no reward to being made to get off.

Thanks for the suggestions! We will keep at it. He loves the couch more than his bed or his crate or any other place in the house :( I was joking with my husband that we should get a couch looking bed for him (like a smaller version of it and he can sit and scratch at it all day long if he wants!).

Yeah, if he is calm the whole time I'd let him sit next to me. But the scratching bugs me! So until then he does not get the couch ;) Maybe when he is older and mellow :) I cannot wait!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know....he seems very comfortable in it ;) I totally know what you are saying. But DH is adamant on not letting him have the couch. The only thing I don't like is he sometimes puts his nose in between the cushions and on the back and scratches them. I tried cleaning those spaces thinking we might have food and crumbs stuck there but he still does it and we have a relatively new and pricey leather couch ;) Had I known this, I would not have gotten this couch almost a year ago :(
I do think that numerous repeats of 'OFF' would work in the long run. But it will takes time and you have to patient. I have never had to work on this with Buddy as he had always been allowed on the furniture. We have a leather sofa too, but there has been no harm done. Not even a tiny bit. Trust me, leather is a much preferred option with a furry fluffball around... much easier to clean the stray hairs :). And Buddy knows that when there are guests around he has to wait for them to sit before stalking his claim (Not really a problem, as he is busy getting his fair amount of petting from them ;)).

You have recieved lots of excellent advice which is sure to help. One thing I have noted is that if you keep a puppy from a particular place it makes them all the more curious to 'investigate' that particular place. If you catch him on the couch, don't pull him down instantly but let him sniff aound and satisfy his curiosity. Then gently lead him down (try to use a leash) and issue a firm 'NO' and make him sit on his own bed. Now go and sit on the couch. If he stays in his own bed for about 2-3 minutes, reward him with a treat. I do believe the repeats of this procedure will help.

My experience - If there is something that Buddy is after that I don't want him to have (a piece of clothing or such, nothing potentially dangerous), I just let him sniff it over and satisfy his curiosity and then I say, "No. This is not Buddy's!" very firmly. After that I simply redirect him to a favoured toy/ treat. This works about 95% of the time. Enjoy your days with your darling and good luck. :wavey:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We've never allowed dogs on the furniture or bed. Starting from day one, cuddle time was done on the floor. My suggestion would be; don't allow it even once and continue to reinforce the OFF command. If he gets sassy when being told NO, I would put him in a time-out area until he can settle down.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Yeah, if he is calm the whole time I'd let him sit next to me. But the scratching bugs me!

He has itchy skin. It's probably dry.

He needs an oatmeal bath. They sell oatmeal shampoo at PetSmart, or grind up some raw oatmeal and make a milky bath. Either way, let him soak for a bit - like 5 or 10 minutes. If needed, attach his collar to a leash and tie it to a water spigot or handrail to keep him from jumping out.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Someone suggested giving him a treat at "family time" to keep his occupied. In the evening when we settle in to watch a little TV we give Ozzy a frozen stuffed Kong. This keeps him buy for awhile and tires him out a bit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, if he is calm the whole time I'd let him sit next to me. But the scratching bugs me!

He has itchy skin. It's probably dry.

He needs an oatmeal bath. They sell oatmeal shampoo at PetSmart, or grind up some raw oatmeal and make a milky bath. Either way, let him soak for a bit - like 5 or 10 minutes. If needed, attach his collar to a leash and tie it to a water spigot or handrail to keep him from jumping out.
Just to clarify, he is not scratching himself, just the couch :( He buries his nose in between the cushions and the back cushions and then scratches like he is trying to get something stuck in between them. Ah puppies and their sense of smell and need to burrow sometimes! We can actually see the scratch marks, not bad or torn, but you can definitely see the outlines/marks on the leather, and just worried we could be worse if we let him keep at it so no couch for the little for now ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts