Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

We are heading up north in a week and thought of a potential problem. We are planning to go out on a pontoon boat one day of vacation and take it out to a sandbar. We want to let Koda swim at this point but realized we don't know how to get her back on the boat because we won't be able to lift her up...

Any suggestions or products you recommend to help get a dog back on a boat?

Thanks!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
They have some floating ramps that attach to the back of boats.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
First off use a harness, can't get them back in with a collar.
Or a lifejacket...it has a handle on it. (we don't use one)

3 weeks ago, we were visiting friends and Bridget fell off the bow, and the
boat driver just stopped and picked her up.........
(But he's alot stronger than me....)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
Pull, lift, and push works for me. Those on the boat would pull the front, lift butt with towel under belly from boat, and push the butt from behind while in the water.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I looked up floating ramps and they are $350!!! Yikes! There are some cheap plastic ramps on amazon but the reviews say they don't really work. I might have to look for a life jacket with a handle and implement that with the pull, lift, push method. We will have about 7 or 8 people to help us out.

I can just see her making a game out of it though lol..asking to get back in the boat and then jumping off again haha.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
Wow, I looked up floating ramps and they are $350!!! Yikes! There are some cheap plastic ramps on amazon but the reviews say they don't really work. I might have to look for a life jacket with a handle and implement that with the pull, lift, push method. We will have about 7 or 8 people to help us out.

I can just see her making a game out of it though lol..asking to get back in the boat and then jumping off again haha.
Lucky always did.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
We have a pontoon boat and go out to sandbars all the time. Once out on the sanbar she should be able to just jump on and off. We just pull the boat up to the shore.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I think you'll find it's not that hard to get the dog in your boat...if you're on a sand bar you just need one person in the boat to lift and one person in the water to PUSH. They are a bit heavier when they're wet but it's still very doable. A life vest with the handle does make it easier and it's also a good idea regarding your dogs safety.

It gets a lot harder if you're in deep water and that's where a ladder comes in handy. I've got one that looks like this...

But I've got to admit I didn't use it very much, I've never used it for my current boy. All he needs is the load up command.:)

And he's a happy wet camper.;)

Pete

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I agree - even without a sandbar I am able to lift Riley from the water with just two people - one in the front, and one in the back. A life vest or harness would help too!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, I am glad i came here for advice before spending the money on a ladder.

Wow, Woody can jump! :) Love those pics!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We got our lifevest at REI, though most sporting goods stores with boat junk have them.
We also keep a leash on the collar for now, waiting for 100% recall before he goes off leash. The girls don't leave my side.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was at Petsmart the other day and they had Outward Hound life jackets in sizes S to XL by the registers. An XL was 40 I think so not too expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Captain Kipling [Guide Dog}

Captain Kipling who is now a Guide Dog in Michigan,this is during his time with us as we raised him for 18 months .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts