Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're interested in a new pup. Doesn't sound like my wife's cousin has the contacts we were hoping for. How in the world do I go about finding a responsible breeder, trustworthy, etc. without over paying? We're in the Cincinnati area. Anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The most important thing to look for is health clearances and proof of them on both parents. Ask for proof of hip, eye, and heart clearances and ask if there is any history of cancer in the line. It's also beneficial to find a reputable breeder who has lots of experience breeding and can possibly even provide references. Good luck!

·
Phyllis & The Solas Gang
676 Posts
Ditto to the last post. Any reputable breeder will answer all your questions, and welcome a visit to check them out.If they are reluctant to give you information or try and by pass the clearance issue, run the other way.There are lot's of ways to find a breeder, ask your vet, find your local GR club and ask for a breeder list or puppy referral, ask people on the forum, go to the AKC site for educational links and breeder ads. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Woops, that msg didn't make sense, I mis-read the post. Thanks for the response, we've already gotten in touch with a breeder near us that will have puppies ready at the end of Sept. Now we just have to figure out if we're really ready for this.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I know Cincinatti is not too far from Indianapolis, and there is a breeder there. I don't know her personally, so this is not an endorsement, just a suggestion. You would need to make sure everything discussed above is in place, but it is Marcia Gould at Golden Clover Retrievers. She had a litter of 10 born about a week ago that will be ready in another 7 weeks, I think.

Here is the web site:
http://www.goldencloverretrievers.com/

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it fairly safe to assume that AKC registered breeders, or those that come recommended through their site are OK for the regular "stuff"?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
No. Our breeder was AKC registered and didn't do ANY clearances. I didn't know any better at the time, but I can promise you it's not a mistake I will make again. You are going to pay more for a reputable breeder - around $1000-$1500 in the Midwest, but it is worth it in what it will save you in vet bills in the future.

Having said that, there are never any guarantees, but you will put yourself less at risk if you buy from someone who does clearances.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
As someone else recommended, have you thought about rescue? GRANDD in Louisville does a nice job and has a lot of dogs available in a variety of ages. I don't know how far outside the city they place dogs, but it is worth checking into.

Just my opinion, but if you aren't going to get a puppy from a breeder who does clearances, I think rescuing a dog (or a puppy if you really want a puppy) is a better way to go than buying from a backyard breeder. And it's surprisingly easy to find golden rescues that have puppies and they are normally checked by vets before going home.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are looking for that puppy experience, and all the head aches that come with it.:) The woman I've just gotten in touch with does not seem to be a backyard breeder, more like the "serious hobby breeder". We certainly don't mind paying a bit more, considering the care and practices that comes with it for the dogs.

Our next step is probably going to be stopping by for a visit and asking all our medical/history questions.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Serious hobby breeders are great-I am one myself :) Serious hobby breeders compete in one or more areas with their dogs-conformation, field, obedience, tracking, agility, etc. Their dogs and dog sports are their hobby. As the GRCA booklet notes, those are generally the among the best kind.

You will want to make sure that all necessary clearances have been done on both parents-OFA for hips/elbows (sometimes PennHip), eyes checked by a veterinary opthamalogist and heart checked by a veterinary cardiologist-and should also have been done for several generations back. You can double check on most clearances by going to www.offa.org and entering the dog's registered name.

You will have to ask about longevity, seizures and allergies and you will have to trust the breeder to answer those honestly. Longevity can be checked to some extent by logging on to www.k9data.com and entering the names of the dogs parents in. If they are entered there, you can often check clearances and longevity.

Also, if the breeder offers a warranty/guarantee, it should NOT require that you return the puppy in order for the warranty to be in effect.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
I know Cincinatti is not too far from Indianapolis, and there is a breeder there. I don't know her personally, so this is not an endorsement, just a suggestion. You would need to make sure everything discussed above is in place, but it is Marcia Gould at Golden Clover Retrievers. She had a litter of 10 born about a week ago that will be ready in another 7 weeks, I think.

Here is the web site:
http://www.goldencloverretrievers.com/
I would endorse Marcia as well! good luck

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More good info, thanks. The recommendation came from the GRCA puppy referral contact, so I am hoping that most of these are in place. We're certainly not looking for a dog to show or breed, but would feel better if health issues have a good history.

Our 6 yr old golden came by way of extended family. Wife's cousin does some breeding of their dog....nothing consistent. We got her when she was about 14 months. Our position at that time was not nearly as involved as we're trying to be this time.

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
Please read the "stickies" at the top of the Choosing a breeder and puppy section of the forum.

Check out that the clearances have been done before you visit a litter of puppies. All puppies are cute! You want to "stack the deck" so to speak so you get the best chance at a healthy long lived golden.

A reputable breeder will not sell you a dog to "breed" yourself. Most likely they will sell under a limited registration.

Even if you aren't interested in a "show dog". You do want a dog from several generations of dogs with clearances and I would want some titles. This shows the breeder is breeding to the standard, and is following the code of ethics set up by the Golden Retriever Kennel Club.

Good luck and please be patient. There are several good breeders in Ohio.

A few more to check are:

www.tophatgoldens.com

www.aprilgoldens.com

www.shilogoldens.com

http://www.geocities.com/kodiakkennels/

www.lakesyde.com

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Your best option is to check out the GRCA puppy pages. They have information on selecting a breeder and a puppy:

http://www.grca.org/allabout/a_find.html

and puppy referral:

Greater Cincinnati Golden Retriever Club
Sandra Jennings
(513) 561-2550
I would do the same thing. When we got Tucker I wound up talking to the puppy referral person via the GR Club in our area. Tucker's breeder/s is the puppy referral person. I now suggest people talk to the puppy referral person first. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts