Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we like the lighter coat, blocky head type goldens we are thinking of checking out Canada breeders.
Is there a quarantine period?
If anyone has brounght in a puppy via car or plane from Canada to the states how hard was it? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Colours can vary greatly within a litter, I would think you don’t need to actually import in a golden from Canada just for this, unless you have established connection and found a breeder already? For the head type that you mentioned, you would want to be looking at conformation lines. Sorry if this does not answer your exact question, I’m sure others with experience bringing pups from Canada to the states will chip in soon. I don’t think its hard, probably some paperwork and vaccinations to sort out. At least everything will be in English vs if you are importing from a foreign country where English is not a 1st language!

·
Registered
338 Posts
We got a puppy from Kyon and brought him home via car/plane in December 2018. The planning was more stressful than the actual trip (which the return home was almost 24 hours of traveling, and our boy was fantastic), but I agree with Ffcmm; there are some excellent breeders in CA. Search the forum for a list of CA breeders, and when you do find a pup you're considering purchasing, post the sire/dam here and more experienced forum members can help you determine if you're getting the healthiest puppy for your money.

Good luck!

ps
if you check under my profile, I think you can find my post about my trip home (and the planning I asked the forum about) in late 2018.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got a puppy from Kyon and brought him home via car/plane in December 2018. The planning was more stressful than the actual trip (which the return home was almost 24 hours of traveling, and our boy was fantastic), but I agree with Ffcmm; there are some excellent breeders in CA. Search the forum for a list of CA breeders, and when you do find a pup you're considering purchasing, post the sire/dam here and more experienced forum members can help you determine if you're getting the healthiest puppy for your money.

Good luck!

ps
if you check under my profile, I think you can find my post about my trip home (and the planning I asked the forum about) in late 2018.
thank you very much! Most of my research shows CA breeders sold out or not so reputable...will check out your adventure from canada now

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
The rules on importing dogs to the US have changed since 2018. Be sure to check the link I posted above. A dog needs to be at least 6 months old to be brought into the US. I'm not sure there is room for exception, according to the CDC info.

Reactions: Sankari

·
Registered
338 Posts
The rules on importing dogs to the US have changed since 2018. Be sure to check the link I posted above. A dog needs to be at least 6 months old to be brought into the US. I'm not sure there is room for exception, according to the CDC info.
Glad you shared the updated CDC info, Sweet Girl. I had no idea of the new rules to bring a puppy into the US from Canada! My dream of a 2nd Kyon puppy has apparently just bit the dust.

OP: use the search bar to check the forum for lists of reputable breeders. I believe the typical wait time is around 12-18 months, but it's worth the wait for a healthy pup. Good luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Those new CDC rules are for dogs that have been in a high risk country for rabies Bringing a Dog into the United States | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

Dogs that have NOT been in a high-risk country in the past 6 months are NOT required by CDC to present a rabies vaccination certificate. However, when you enter the United States, you must provide a written or verbal statement your dogs have NOT been in a country that is high risk for rabies within the last 6 months or since birth if under 6 months of age. While CDC doesn’t require proof of rabies vaccination, CDC recommends that all dogs be vaccinated against rabies, and your US destination may have additional requirements.”

Canada is not on the list of high risk countries;

I had to get very familiar with this regulation because some airlines are very ill informed and I had to explain over and over to Swiss Air last year that that CDC regulation didn’t apply to bringing a dog to the US from Switzerland or any other country in Western Europe. That being said, if you are flying, different airlines have different rules, for instance Swiss Air requires any dogs flying with them to have rabies vaccine already so I couldn’t fly with my boy until he was 16 weeks and had his vaccine.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
LA152 - thank you for that clarification! I thought the US wasn't letting in any dogs under 6 months old no matter what, so this is really good news for people who do want to import a baby puppy from a non-high-risk country like Canada.

·
Registered
338 Posts
And NOW my dream is back on :) (I'm also dreaming of an Esquire Golden too, so we'll see which one we get to add in the future :love:)

Thanks for the clarification LA152!

OP: let the forum know which breeders you're considering getting on a wait list for, there is a wealth of information here to help you make an informed decision.

·
Registered
338 Posts
LA152 - thank you for that clarification! I thought the US wasn't letting in any dogs under 6 months old no matter what, so this is really good news for people who do want to import a baby puppy from a non-high-risk country like Canada.
This conversation is bringing up a memory of how Barkley was one of the last pups to need a special form (I forget which one) to be brought into the country in late 2018...I think something changed late (Canada became rabies-free?) and the rules changed the day before I was traveling. I still brought all the paperwork but at the border it was barely glanced at b/c all the agents wanted to pet the cute puppy :LOL: We even had agents stop us on the way back to the car from the Ag building so they could pet him. Overall a good experience, we were lucky.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
This conversation is bringing up a memory of how Barkley was one of the last pups to need a special form (I forget which one) to be brought into the country in late 2018...I think something changed late (Canada became rabies-free?) and the rules changed the day before I was traveling.
Yeah, there was something for a while when you could not bring a puppy under 6 months into the US from anywhere, if I remember correctly. You had to get a special exception for a non-commercially imported puppy (which I think a few people from the forum successfully did quite easily)? I think it might have been that the US put in the blanket rule meaning for it to target large commercial breeders or rescue operations from high-risk countries without realizing how many people buy single puppies as personal pets in Canada. Maybe 2018 was when they put in the high-risk vs. no-risk countries to make it possible again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts