Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tall of a Exercise pen do i need?? i got out some measuring tape and 30" "seemed" enough, but then again, i wouldnt know! lol So what do you suggest??

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I always do 36" and put a lid on the top if needed. To me, anything taller than that is too much of a pain to move around and wouldn't fit in the car if I wanted to travel with it.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
How tall of a Exercise pen do i need?? i got out some measuring tape and 30" "seemed" enough, but then again, i wouldnt know! lol So what do you suggest??
Depends on the dog....my two are very respectful of boundaries - even my exuberant wild-child. Both are agility dogs and jump 24", yet a very portable 12" ex-pen holds their bodies in (but not their heads - LOL) if I need to (found that out by accident the other day). I've got a couple of 24" and a 30". But my guys don't jump on the expen sides either. 90% of the time I don't even latch them in :)

Erica

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It does depend on the dogs.. my Buckwheat could jump really high.. Rocky and Rusty would stay behind any thing reasonable.. Penny was a climber as a pup.. she would scale our 42 inch pen and we would run to catch her as she came over the top! Now she will stay in.. maybe she got too heavy to climb?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Harry is very tall. His expen is 26" high. He could easily get over the top. But, he doesn't. Here is why... From the time he was tiny, I didn't lift him over the top. I always lift the side of the pen and get him from under instead of over. Now I lift it up and say "Under" and he comes out on his own. He has respected the boundary since he has grown up with it. I call it "the OK Corral". I can still put him in there when I can't watch him closely. Of course, he goes into crate if I am gone from home. Abbey Rose will need the Ok Corral when she gets here.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Is that this one here?

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Gate-Play/dp/B00020L78M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1232934914&sr=8-2

I'm afraid one would not be big enough. They sell a two-panel extension but it's half the cost of the entire kit!

I was thinking of getting TWO of them and putting them together. Can that be done with this one?

Harry is very tall. His expen is 26" high. He could easily get over the top. But, he doesn't. Here is why... From the time he was tiny, I didn't lift him over the top. I always lift the side of the pen and get him from under instead of over. Now I lift it up and say "Under" and he comes out on his own. He has respected the boundary since he has grown up with it. I call it "the OK Corral". I can still put him in there when I can't watch him closely. Of course, he goes into crate if I am gone from home. Abbey Rose will need the Ok Corral when she gets here.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Is that this one here?

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Gate-Play/dp/B00020L78M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1232934914&sr=8-2

I'm afraid one would not be big enough. They sell a two-panel extension but it's half the cost of the entire kit!

I was thinking of getting TWO of them and putting them together. Can that be done with this one?
Yes. You can buy them at pet stores, but the price is better at BabiesRUs... I put two together. Sometimes use a couple segments to block doorways etc. I don't use baby gates--too tired to climb over them.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
You can also try CraigsList. I got a used, 24" x-pen for $20 that way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help =) The lady is coming by tomorrow to drop the Pen off!! Hopeing to get my dog used to the play pen before new pup gets here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts