Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a though out loud here. I recently went to the bank and I had her in the bed of my truck. I let her out to jump in the cab, and she ran right over to a lady going to walk in. She enjoys the attention, but it scares some people when she trots up to them.

I know, I got a little more training to do...... But was curious as to how yours react when they see other people or other pets?

BTW, when I first got her, that fall she'd sneak over to the elementary school next door and play with the kids during recess.

Reactions: Muddypaws

·
Destroyer of Toys
101 Posts
Louie likes to meet everyone. He easily attracts the oohs and aahs of passers by. He loves to meet people, and people love to meet him! He scares some people, though, when he gets his curious look.

Dogs....are a different story. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to have a collie/shepherd mix. One day we got a call from the hospital a couple of blocks away. Bucky had come thru the front doors and was greeting visitors as they came thru the lobby.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bailey loves all people, she is so friendly. A woman that told us that she is terrified of dogs pet her and said how nice she is. We still have a good amount of training to do, sometimes when she gets really excited she starts jumping or pulls our arm off.
She loves all dogs too, young and old, big and small. Her biggest dog she played with was a bull mastiff, it was so cute. The mastiff was a teddy bear :D When she plays with a small dog, she makes herself so she is low to the ground, its too cute.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
Very sociable. My previous boybaby was shy all his life, so with Jacks I really concentrated on getting the right socialization for him. The rest is him having a very sweet temperament. ;)

You probably have heard this already, but that bed's for lugging tools and junk around. Keep living breathing creatures safe inside the cab.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I am number 1 in my Max's eyes and it's been a long time getting there! Before, he loved everyone and anything. He's gotten a bit more discriminating now that he's not as fickle. He likes all people, some more than others - enough to trot up to them and say hi. Some he gives a sniff and keeps going. He really likes other dogs, cats, gerbils, bunnies, bugs, and cows. :) I spent a lot of time introducing him to lots of people and animals when he was young so I think that has a lot to do with his happy go lucky friendly attitude towards all things.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nyah is extremely friendly and when I said extremely I mean too friendly in some cases. Every person/animal she comes across she must greet. She gets the windmill tail and gets super excited. Most people love this but the ones who hate dogs freak out and claim that I must control her at once. :doh: We have tried everything but we can't help the fact that she loves people and dogs.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Tucker gets along with dogs but he'd rather be with people.

Ask anyone who met him at the GRF meet in Toronto... he didn't even play with any dogs... just ran around from person to person to get petted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You probably have heard this already, but that bed's for lugging tools and junk around. Keep living breathing creatures safe inside the cab.

Only when I cruise around a town/city I let her in the bed. She likes it back there, gives her the chance to bark at other dogs when we drive by, and she's more free back there. I keep a close eye on her at all times. In the winter and when we take a road trip, I keep her in the cab.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A lot has to do with socialization. One of the puppy books says that dogs should meet 100 people between 2 and 3 months. My daughters Mini Schnauzer wasn't properly socialized, so she loves half a dozen people and hates all others. Same for other dogs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Gracie just loves all dogs and people. She was wagging her tail at a guinea pig at the pet store :). She met my mom's cat for the first time, walked up to it c, laid down and started tapping her tail on the floor :)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I agree, a dog should not be loose ever in the bed of a truck. Dogs in a crate in the bed is a different story. My dog has jumped out an open window of my car (no more riding loose in my backseat, lol!), what's to stop a dog from jumping out the bed?

And Flora is super friendly with people - a bit too friendly if you ask me. Dogs though... that's another story! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She was in the bed once, and I was driving really slow past a house as there were kids playing. She seen another dog, and decided it was time to jump out. She never did that again.

IMHO, they're like kids. Got to let em breath once in a while.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Our girl enjoys meeting people, dogs, chickens, rabbits, horses etc. Really she is happy to meet anyone and everyone, however her number one priority is me, she would rather be with me than meeting anyone else.

I'm a sucker for the fact that I know I'm her number one priority. I'm am always so amazed and proud that my better half has no issues that our girl has eyes mostly for me (she does still love him very much). If it was me on the other foot and our pup clearly favored him I would be at least rather put out!! He is always so very great about it, but he is such a wonderful person on the whole (clearly more wonderful than me!).

We walk down the beach at least once a day in summer, its a lovely beach and very popular with dogs and people all year round. At times someone will make an effort to get Sasha's attention and she just ignore them to sniff something better, I get a tad embarrassed cause they have went to the effort to admire her and interact with her and she just snobs them! Anyone else experienced this? Alot of the time the people make a tutting or clicking noise to gain her attention and she has no idea what that is.

At the same time its wonderful how dogs always seem to know which random strangeandante the most friendly and will give the best scratches!!

One thing Sasha does not comprehend are the people to leave alone because they are scared of her! There have been quite alot of international students down the beach who obviously have a different culture regarding dogs and start screaming, hiding or running down the beach to get away from the evil dog that is just walking along showing no interest in them, however sometime all the screaming and energy get her excited then she bounds after them in hot pursuit! I must admit we have become quite bad at times, we have been known to let her keep walking along close to the people freaking out just for a giggle when they start screaming and she doesn't even acknowledge them, just happily sniffing away at the sand!

Now I have written a redicilously long post (I hope someone can be bothered reading it!) and I've outed myself as being bad dog owner! Lucky I'm in Australia so I'm harder to find!!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Tucker loooooves everyone whether human or canine. We don't know about feline yet. :)

Tess (cavalier spaniel) is same. I have to watch them carefully so they don't overwhelm fearful people and little kids. It's not too bad so far. Tess is little and seems nonthreatening and Tucker is clearly still a puppy. When he's full grown I dunno. Will just have to have a wonderfully obedient dog. Lol

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Well, I guess Chance is definitely in the minority here. He is not sociable at all. He usually never approaches/greets anyone on the street. If someone approached him he might sniff them and allow them to pet him, but it wouldn't be something he would enjoy.

When he's home, he feels much more comfortable going up to someone, which he does when we have people over. I really think Chance would be happiest if the only people in the world were his family. :eek:

Now Lucy...she's my social butterfly. She loves everyone outside the house. If people come over she will bark at them, but then she warms up. Exact opposite of how Chance is.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
All four of mine are social butterflies. I love how they think humans are these wonderful, wholly entertaining beings. My goldens have a high opinion of us as a species, lol.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Mine are pups, so think any human is wonderful and so far they have liked all the other dogs we meet at classes. Kye is more open, immediately likes everyone, tries to jump all over them, Coop is much more laid back, but likes to quietly go to people & waits to be petted. When on walks, Kye wants to meet everyone and gets upset if they don't pet her. Coop will sniff, but if I continue to walk he stays right with me. He seems to take people and other dogs or leave them. To Kye, everybody-everything is Mine, mine, mine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Its lovely to know that so many people have very social goldens.
Bonnie is only 7 months and she has the most intense desire to "meet and greet" everyone she sees. She goes to the people first and then their dogs. She seems to know exactly what to do when meeting other dogs, large or small and she is canny enough to leave them alone if they don't want to play. I do think that it is a bit of a problem because I am finding it difficult to persuade her that not everyone will want her. My OH says that in time she will grow up and modify it a bit, but at the moment there is no chance. Part of the problem has been that everyone who sees her does seem to love her and folks who know her encourage her to them. I wish they wouldn't but people often call to her from across the park and, of course, she thinks it is wonderful. On the positive side she does always come away when called, once she has done her social greetings.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts