• Class Clown

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Kate
21,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought we all need a TGIF type fluff poll thread to pick us up....

See the poll options above and tell us why you voted the way you did.

If you have multiple dogs, vote for the smartest one and tell us where the others failed. :p:

Before you vote, see the descriptions below:

Genius

Your dog is a problem solver and an independant thinker. He may be easy to train because he quickly comprehends what he must do in order to get the reward. He may be difficult to train because he is always trying to figure out easier ways of getting the reward. Or he decides which rewards he wants more. Because this dog is constantly thinking independantly and constantly observing and noticing everything in his environment, this may open him up becoming fearful or reactive of things that his brain identifies as a threat. This dog is highly likely to entertain himself when bored.

Almost Genius

Your dog is moderately intelligent but has his flashes of genius.

Moderately Intelligent

Your dog is eager to please and receptive to praise and food, quickly learns all your cues and quickly learns to do whatever is asked of him. This dog might also not notice things unless pointed out to them or connected to a reward. When you point a finger, the dog looks to see what you are pointing at. For the most part the dog is aware of what is directly around him or what he directly hears. When bored, this dog either nags for attention or goes to sleep.

Nearly Intelligent

This dog wants the treats and praise, he really does. Sometimes he has his good days where he does something intelligent by accident. But he hasn't quite figured out that he needs to do those intelligent things all the time.

Class Clown

This dog is highly distractable, impulsive, and play motivated. He will take the treats and praise but has NO IDEA what they are for - look squirrel! This is that happy dog that his owners love even though they really wonder about him.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Cute poll! I have two class clowns right now and they are my lovable goofballs, but the girl I lost in August was a certified GENIUS. I'm serious...I could show that girl something one time, and she'd do it without fail from that moment on. But she was also the most stubborn thing...if it didn't make sense to her, she wasn't doing it. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
He's smart, but I rated him as a "class clown." Why? He likes to torment the min pin. It's actually pretty amusing to watch. The min pin will jump and bark at him and he will take her whole head into his mouth...just to mess with her and leave her head/fur looking like we just shampooed her. He produces a LOT of slobber, lol.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Oh, Riley is a genius - no question. That description fits him to a T. He's, by far, the smartest dog I've ever had. He's our second Golden and we've always had GSDs, so that's saying a lot.

He knows the vast majority of his toys by name. If he's looking for one that's not in the room, all we have to tell him is 'It's in grandma's room' or 'It's in mom's room' and he'll trot off to the correct room and find it.
And he thinks he knows how to get away with things. If he's chewing on one of his toys and we tell him to stop, he'll take it into another room and continue chewing on it. Like, if he leaves the room, we can't see him, so we won't know what he's doing.

More often than not, I don't even have to give him a command - he knows what he's supposed to do in any given situation and just does it without my having to ask. It's hard for me not to take that for granted.

And the reactivity issues... oh, yeah! That's Riley, alright! He has his own opinions and I really think that the vast majority of our problems started because he made up his own mind before I even knew what was happening. I've had to learn to anticipate how he's likely to react to something and adjust accordingly before he does.
Can't say he doesn't keep me on my toes!

Oh, and he's quickly learned to mooch treats when we're out walking. If we pass another dog and he doesn't react, he gets a treat. Well, the next day I can pretty much count on him looking to me for a treat when we reach that same, exact spot - whether we see another dog or not. He remembers that he got a treat there, the day before. That's how hyper-aware of his surroundings he is!

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Is there something lower than Class Clown? :lol:

Tucker is really a "duuuuhhhhhh" kind of dog. He always has to lay where people can trip over him. He can't seem to figure out that a better place to lay down would be his bed or NOT in the middle of a hallway or kitchen.

He can't fetch. He'll chase the ball, look at it, smile at you, then wander off somewhere to go chew a stick. (same with any other object we throw for him).

He can't swim. He LOVES water but countless times I've had to go in and save him because almost instantly he starts choking and going under.

When he was a puppy, he'd constantly run into walls, bonk his head off tables, fall UP the stairs...

But I wouldn't have him any other way! He's the biggest lapdog in the world :)

·
Missing my sweet Oliver
225 Posts
Love the descriptions. Oliver is a "genius" not always a good thing. Harley is a "class clown", always happy. Stan is "nearly intelligent", someone in my house is often yelling Earth to Stan! Every morning I put their food dishes in almost the same place. Harley and Oliver wait patiently near where their dishes are placed, Stan does too but he is often facing the wrong way, backwards, sideways, someway that no one can get by him. He is so cute and wiggly waiting, I have to smile. He was digging up my yard this morning, he was so surprised that I rushed down to stop him. He looked at me like "what?"

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Yup! I see it now, and I voted "Almost Genius" for Pippa :) She's very easy to train, happy to be left to her own devices (though she prefers being with us), and approaches each new thing with confident curiosity. She's also creative: When learning "down" for her dinner Kong, she figured out that I would accept her elbow fur (not her actual elbows) on the floor before I wised up and started to listen for the "plunk" of bone. She's also a master of subtlety. Her specialty is to stretch with an acceptable toy in her mouth, glance at mom, lay toy on unacceptable rug fringe, glance at mom, chew primly on toy, glance at mom, slowly let tongue lick both toy and rug fringe and then ultimately abandon toy for rug fringe :doh:. She usually gets a good three or four minutes of blissful fringe chomping before I remember to check again...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Angelina is by far the smartest dog I've ever owned. She is the first female and I may have to attribute it to that! :) She knows what she wants and what she does not want and knows how to go about it. She can anticipate and runs circles around Cannella who is smart, but not genious smart. Angelina reads my mind and nothing passes her observation. I never put her on leash unless we are downtown and yes, she decides if she wants to listen or not (and always listens). She observes everything around her, knows when the neighbor's dogs are not out (so she can run over quick and pee on their lawn!)...really, I've just never had a dog this aware and this smart before and wonder if I ever will again...

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Asia is a genius according to the description. She fits it to a T. She anticipates commands, was very easy to train but also hard in some ways because of her independant streak.. She understands many words and phrases and is always aware of whats going on around her. The part that says they cam get reactive is also true of her with regard to some dogs. She is the most amazing dog. (I know everyone says that about their Goldens lol)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I dunno, Flora fits pretty much every description. Sometimes her acuity astounds me and other times, as I watch her roll in mud or eat deer poo, I wonder if she has any brains at all.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Although Ben has his moments of near genius, he mostly acts like the class clown. Makes agility classes very interesting - not terribly successful, but we laugh a lot.

·
Administrator
16,472 Posts
Hogan = Almost Genius

Ummm Liam well I guess he falls somewhere between class clown and "no hope" (ok may be Almost Intelligent ) ....... LOL :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
@ Megora

For your genius description, I was wondering why you mention anything about being reactive. I would say my guy fits into a genius category but has never been reactive.
I personally think any of the categories can have reactive dogs and has nothing to do with intelligence.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I'm kind of between Genius and Almost Genius. Lucy is super intelligent but then occasionally has what we call her "blond" moments. Dory is less reactionary than Lucy and more calculating. You know when she cocks her head that she's studying things. They're both the two smartest dogs I've ever known though.

Oh, and they both can spell P-L-A-Y. It doesn't matter if you spell all the letters at once or not, they've got it figured out.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Much to my dismay, Ranger is a genius. Sometimes this leads to interesting scenarios when he's outsmarted me or figured things out on his own...like opening the fridge and helping himself to lunch meat after I taught him the "beer me" trick.

The funniest thing is that I thought he was a real dummy when I first got him. It took me TWO WEEKS to teach him how the "down" cue. It wasn't that he didn't know HOW to do it...he'd figured it out but didn't see the incentive to do so unless I had a cookie for him.

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
OMG! I just LOVE your post!

Is there something lower than Class Clown? :lol:

Tucker is really a "duuuuhhhhhh" kind of dog. He always has to lay where people can trip over him. He can't seem to figure out that a better place to lay down would be his bed or NOT in the middle of a hallway or kitchen.

He can't fetch. He'll chase the ball, look at it, smile at you, then wander off somewhere to go chew a stick. (same with any other object we throw for him).

He can't swim. He LOVES water but countless times I've had to go in and save him because almost instantly he starts choking and going under.

When he was a puppy, he'd constantly run into walls, bonk his head off tables, fall UP the stairs...

But I wouldn't have him any other way! He's the biggest lapdog in the world :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts