1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought this would be fun :)

My Charlie..
knows the basic sit, stay, lie down
"you want to go get it?" -he will give me the toy that he has and wait for me to throw it, then brings it back to me (fetch)
"who's out there?" -he will run and look out the window, bark if he sees someone
"no barking"-self explainatory
"where's daddy?"- he runs and looks out the window if my boyfriend is at work, if he is just in another room he will go see him
"want to go for a ride?" he gets SOO excited, be prepared for a very rambunctious Charlie! And if we don't leave right away he will stand by the door and make wimpering noises
"look out the window"- he hangs his head out the car window when I tell him this, or if we are at home he will look out our house windows.
"want some icecream?"he runs to the freezer-so cute! He doesn't get icecream very often though ;)
"want to go see bunnies?" he will run to the window and look outside at my outdoor rabbits, or if we are already outside he will run to them.
when he has to go to the bathroom, he walks to the front door, touches the door knob with his nose and makes a wimpering noise that sounds like "hmm
hmm hmm" then proceeds to stand very still and stare at us. If we can't take him right away he will do it over and over. When we get up to take him he goes to where we keep the leash and stands and waits.
"want to go for a walk"-basically the same reaction as want to go for a ride.
"give _____ kisses" I sometimes say daddy, pappy, grandma, bunnies, kitties, doggy, or mommy(me)- he will lick whoever/whatever I told him to give kisses to
"go wake daddy up"- he will jump on him and lick alllll over him!
"want to go see coconut?"- coconut is my sisters dog, they live a half
mile down the road from me, he gets soo excited when I say this.
"get your ball"- he will get his ball out of his toy box
"want a treat?"- he comes over to me and automatically sits down very straight.

I'm not sure if I've forgotten anything or not, but this is all I can think of at the moment :)

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Mine is too smart for his own good...any trick I teach him is guaranteed to be taken to the next level, usually for Ranger's own benefit. Case in point: I taught him "beer me", which meant he'd run to the fridge, open it, and grab me a beer. Worked great for a few days until i woke up at 3am one morning to the sound of the fridge opening. Upon further investigation, I found the fridge wide open and ranger helping himself to some lunchmeat. No shame, no chagrin. Tail wagging and he couldn't have been prouder of himself. He did get me a beer when he saw me, so i couldn't get too mad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh!- I forgot one of the funniest ones, when I say "it's bathy time" he will hide from me!! and when I find him he he will lay down and try to look pittiful! Once I get him in the tub though he is very good.

Another, is we kind of play "hide and seek", I will run and hide from him, he will make laps around the house until he finds me, and when he does find me he is so happy!

Charlie also "begs", he will lay his head on my knees very cutely, I'm sure he knows it's cute too, and it usually will get him a few treats lol

edit: another one I forgot is he also gives hugs when people ask him to, he will stand on his back hind legs, tail wagging, and put his front legs on your shoulders. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is too smart for his own good...any trick I teach him is guaranteed to be taken to the next level, usually for Ranger's own benefit. Case in point: I taught him "beer me", which meant he'd run to the fridge, open it, and grab me a beer. Worked great for a few days until i woke up at 3am one morning to the sound of the fridge opening. Upon further investigation, I found the fridge wide open and ranger helping himself to some lunchmeat. No shame, no chagrin. Tail wagging and he couldn't have been prouder of himself. He did get me a beer when he saw me, so i couldn't get too mad.
Haha that is so funny!

·
Kate
22,447 Posts
"give _____ kisses" I sometimes say daddy, pappy, grandma, bunnies, kitties, doggy, or mommy(me)- he will lick whoever/whatever I told him to give kisses to
Somebody at class did this trick with their dog (Belgian Tuveran) last night. I thought it was the cutest thing. :)

Hmmm... outside of the obedience stuff, the only tricks my guy knows are "sit pretty wave" (he sits up and waves his front feet around) and limp (he makes like Lassie).

At class, our instructor was asking people about little tricks or things they can do to take the pressure of the dogs between exercises in the obedience ring. Some people do spins. Some people do touches (they hold their hand up and the dog has to touch the hand with their nose).

I was just standing there with a weird look on my face as I imagined getting my dog to limp from one exercise to the other. I just don't think that would be a good thing.... :D

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Sydney is dumb as a rock... no joke.

Sadie is somewhat smart, but still not the brightest. She's much smarter than her sister, though.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Mine are smarter than I think they are. They play the dumb just to fool me from time to time and keep me guessing.

They know all the basics. KNow all our terms for things - even if we change them up to trick them. You can say "go check" a noise and they "go check." I spend more time figuring out how to out think them sometimes.

I will say (hope Scout is not reading this) Noah seems a lot more intuitive and catches on faster. But in Scouts defense I still think he might have a slight nose or eye issue.

They like to hide my socks and keep moving/relocating the "stash" pile. They do so many things...and know so many words. But they are pretty good - which is good. If either of them had a devilish side I'd be a goner.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do any of yours go to the door and "tell you" when they have to go to the bathroom? Like the noises that Charlie makes? I was curious as to rather this was the norm for a lot of dogs or not, I've never met one that does what Charlie does. I'm going to video tape it sometime-the stare that he does after telling us is priceless!

·
Registered
415 Posts
They know the basics - sit, stay, come, lie down, off

They know to sit and wait when we are putting their food down until we tell them "ok go eat"
They both know "want to go bye bye in the car"
They both know "go for a walk"
Tell them both to "go potty" and they go to their spot and go

They both give paw, you can ask Penny for her other paw and she'll give it

Penny you ask if she's hungry she'll go to her bowl
Penny gets excited if you ask her if she wants to play with Nickel (her husky friend)
Penny more so than Shirley (we're working on Shirley) will wait at the open front door until you tell her "lets go" then she will come outside
Penny will come over and "talk" to you when she wants something
Tell Penny to "go see" and she'll check outside the front windows
Penny knows "go to the park" and "go swimming" she goes right to the pool gate

My husbands trick is he makes a gun motion with his hand and says "bang" Penny rolls over and plays dead.

We used to tell Penny "see the bunny" and she'd go to the back window see the bunny get all excited but the bunny doesn't come around now that there is 2 dogs, can't blame her.

I do find it absolutely adorable that they will both go to the toy basket and pick through until they find what they were looking for

·
Registered
415 Posts
Do any of yours go to the door and "tell you" when they have to go to the bathroom? Like the noises that Charlie makes? I was curious as to rather this was the norm for a lot of dogs or not, I've never met one that does what Charlie does. I'm going to video tape it sometime-the stare that he does after telling us is priceless!

Penny doesn't make a hmmmm sound but she "talks" to us more of a rowww rowww rowww rowlf

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The "gun" trick sounds so cool/cute! Wish I could teach Charlie that!

They know the basics - sit, stay, come, lie down, off

They know to sit and wait when we are putting their food down until we tell them "ok go eat"
They both know "want to go bye bye in the car"
They both know "go for a walk"
Tell them both to "go potty" and they go to their spot and go

They both give paw, you can ask Penny for her other paw and she'll give it

Penny you ask if she's hungry she'll go to her bowl
Penny gets excited if you ask her if she wants to play with Nickel (her husky friend)
Penny more so than Shirley (we're working on Shirley) will wait at the open front door until you tell her "lets go" then she will come outside
Penny will come over and "talk" to you when she wants something
Tell Penny to "go see" and she'll check outside the front windows
Penny knows "go to the park" and "go swimming" she goes right to the pool gate

My husbands trick is he makes a gun motion with his hand and says "bang" Penny rolls over and plays dead.

We used to tell Penny "see the bunny" and she'd go to the back window see the bunny get all excited but the bunny doesn't come around now that there is 2 dogs, can't blame her.

I do find it absolutely adorable that they will both go to the toy basket and pick through until they find what they were looking for

·
Kate
22,447 Posts
Jacks doesn't really make any noises, but he stands in the foyer and stares until somebody looks at him and then he dances on his front feet until somebody gets up and follows him to the front door. Or if the door is unlatched, he will nose the handle up and dig the door open and come back to stare at us.

The collie comes up to us and barks in our face and then runs like the wind to the front door.

Oh! One of the other posts reminded me. Jacks knows how to pour his own water. We don't let him do it, but er... he does try to help himself. He will grab the gallon of water from my bedroom closet and carry it to the water bowl. And he gets as far as removing the cap before I jump up to save my carpet. :D

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My dogs don't really know tricks but they do know all their commands.

Quinn reads lips and can count. It has been a challenge to my hubby in agility. When he moves his lips to say her name to release her, she breaks. It is before she is released. So he started saying something else not release her, and didn't realize he did a pattern, she was counting.

Gabby scares me, she is SO smart. At 8 weeks old, she figured out how to scale a baby gate to get where she wanted to go, no stopping her. A couple weeks ago, she moved a chair, got on the chair, then got on the kitchen table to get treats out of Belle's agility bag. And they say dogs can't problem solve. Now we think she is trying to figure out how to work a door knob.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
:doh: You could write a book all about Ranger's antics. I'd buy it!!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Sometimes my dog scares me. She just always seems to know intuitively what she should do in any situation. Even when I've never taught her. When she was a puppy, maybe about 9 months old, we were in puppy class, and we had a contest: Anything Your Dog Can Do, Mine Can Do Better. The rules was, you had to do a trick with your dog, and once that trick was done, no one else could do it. Well, I hadn't taught my dog any tricks at all - but what do you know? We won. It was like Tee just knew what to do. I'd put a cookie on her head, say wait... then say OKAY! and she'd bop it off and catch it. I can't even remember what else I made up on the spot, but she just played along like we'd planned and practiced for months. It was bizarre.

I've told the story here before of getting home from a very muddy park one day, and even after being towelled off, Tesia was SO dirty. I'd given up and in my head I was thinking, I'm going to have to get her in the tub (which is not always an easy thing). Well, she just walked into the house, up the stairs and got into the tub on her own. I never said anything to her.

She knows all her basic commands, plus dozens and dozens of other words. I couldn't list them all. And I know she knows the words because I never change my voice when I say things - I keep my tone the same. So I know she's not reacting to mood or excitement, etc.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Tucker would be smart if I had taken the time to train him (he's had no training, my first dog, didn't know what to do with him LOL)

He knows sit, stay, lie down.

"Back up" -- he walks backwards
"Speak" -- will bark, but only for his tire lol
"Where's the kitty?" -- Will look out the house window (where the cats used to walk by)
"Go to the car" -- Will run outside and sit at the rear car door
"Inside" -- Will go to the front door of a house
"House!" -- Will go into his crate and lie down
"Wanna go for a walk?" -- Will go to where his leash is and sit quietly
"Downstairs" -- Goes downstairs

I think that's it... so maybe he's a little smarter than I give him credit for lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts