Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we have had enough snow on the ground for me to get out my boots, Penny, who is 8, is remembering her favorite puppy game: biting my boots.

We got her in mid-winter during very cold weather. I would walk her around the back yard which was about the size of a football field. Wind chill below zero and a puppy lunging and biting at my boots. I remember thinking: I'm smarter than a puppy so I'll just stand still. Puppies lose interest quickly and we'll resume our walk. I'm so smart!!!!! Well, she hunkered down absolutely still, just staring at my feet. I'm getting really cold thinking any second now she'll break her attention and move on to something else. Nope, she'd start barking at them and making little lunges to get them to move. Finally I got so cold I started to walk. Eureka, she thought!!! That's how you make feet move: you bark at them. To this day, and she just turned 8, when she wants to play, she'll hunker down and bark at my feet. When they move, she goes in for the kill.

I have to walk about 200 feet through the snow from the car to the barn. I have a snarling, growling, barking golden attacking my feet. She leaps backwards as I walk, she feigns retreat and gets me from the back. It's quite a site with all the sound effects.

Luckily, I can say quietly "enough" and she wanderers off. I often wonder if we'd gotten her in the warm weather if she'd have this boot fetish. BTW, she also gets the game going in the house in the evening. She's impertinent and sassy, but we love her sense of humor. Keeps us humble!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Awwww, what a sweet story!! I wonder if this could be caught on video someday? :curtain:

(And I know what you mean about boot-attacking. My mom has boots with furry-looking stuff at the top and whenever she comes over we have to hide them before Maxie comes out. LMAO!)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll work on a video. I might have to wait until Monday. DD will be at the barn when I go tomorrow. Penny always makes a beeline for her. I could have liverwurst on my boots and she wouldn't even notice. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts