Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Murphy was a little over nine weeks. I didn't pick him out from his litter or see him before I got him. It's a long story but I had a deposit on a puppy from a different breeder and when they were born there was no puppy for me, I started calling around and Murphy's breeder had two male pups available right then that were 9 weeks old (she'd ended up with a much larger litter than expected!) and as soon as she described him (she said he was a big boy -- biggest in his litter, medium gold, and that he was mellow and just kinda went with the flow of things and liked to cuddle) I knew he was the pup for me. She was 8 hours away. I think it was about 50 or 60 hours from that initial phone call that he was home with me!

·
Too addicted to this site
265 Posts
We picked Roxy when she was about 10 weeks and then went back a week later to pick her up. Her breeder wouldn't have let us take her away on a first visit - she wanted to make sure we weren't making a snap decision.

We were different with Fred - we went to visit them as soon as they were old enough for visiters, then again at 5 weeks and then to pick him up at 7. I bonded with him very quickly, and I do think it's because I've been there almost from the beginning.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
WHY would any breeder let a puppy go at that age???? some of the most critical socialization with mom and littermates happens after this age? I am glad it worked out for you but imo, this is just wrong.
You of all people know why - because it's messier and clean up is up to YOU at this time. :yuck:

Griff came home at 7 1/2 weeks, Jake came home at 5 1/2 weeks - I was a panic but he was fine and he was such a mellow guy that it worked out for us as well. In fact, he was LESS mouthy than Griff was as a pup.

·
Sophie's Mommy
197 Posts
sophie was 7 weeks when we took her home...we were supposed to go choose our puppy at 5 weeks old, but unfortunately the breeder's mother passed away the day before so she asked if we could come the next week instead...it was a 5 hour drive away, so we were a little intimidated to do the trip two consecutive weekends, but, i'm so glad that we did. playing with all those puppies then getting to choose our sophie was an experience i'll never forget!! and then we only had to wait a week to bring her home after meeting her!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Winter was 12 weeks old. She had 4 adult dogs to play with at her breeders. She came with the softest mouth, almost no land shark phase, and she was at least halfway housebroken and crate trained. Easiest puppy ever.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We had a trip planned, to visit my dad, several months before we got Bradley. It was planned for the week his litter was ready to leave. His breeder very generously agreed to let him stay with her until he was 11 weeks old.

He came to us very well adjusted, crate trained and completely housebroken. It's nice having them in the fluffier stage but I have no regrets about having him come home with us a couple weeks later than necessary.

Eight weeks is ideal, in my opinion. Especially for Goldens. We're bringing home our second Golden on Wednesday at the ripe age of 8 weeks.

A big part of determining the right time to bring the puppy home is how the breeder will be handling the situation. Will the breeder be starting crate training, additional socialization, house breaking and an extra vet visit, if it's necessary? If so, waiting a little longer is probably in the puppy's best interest.

Congratulations on your soon to be new addition! I completely empathize with your impatience :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.