Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The title says it all......

We have the choice of picking up our pup at 7.5 or 8.5 weeks - most of the litter are leaving at 7.5 weeks, but I've heard they shouldn't go before 8 weeks. Any advice?

Also - our breeder is a long drive away, would we be stupid to see and choose our pup on the day we bring him home so that we only have to make the journey once instead of visiting him a couple of weeks before?

**Scrub the not seeing him first question - we've already decided that it's a daft idea (I'm so desperate to meet him that there's no way I could not visit as soon as possible lol)

All help gratefully received!:)

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Our breeder was 2.5-3.0 hr drive from us and across the border in Canada. We actually made the drive twice to visit the puppies and then again on the day we brought her home. I think the drive was well worth it to play with the puppies. Sierra was 7 weeks when we brought her home and she has done very well.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Our breeder was a little over 2 hours away. We went and picked him OUT on our anniversary, he was three weeks old then. We brought him home when he was exactly 7 weeks. He did great... no separation anxiety at all.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
I let my pups go between 7.5-8 wks....there really is no benefit to keeping longer than 8 wks, they are well ready to bond with their new owners. I just had a couple make 2 trips to my home, over 9 hrs one way, to see the pups @ the open house (5wks) and again to collect the puppy @ 8 wks!!!!! To me that shows a dedicated owner....It really is important for both parties to meet and get acquainted prior to going home day...thats just my opinion!

·
Registered
401 Posts
First/only puppy?

We picked up Sully at eight weeks; we had lost our 12 yr old a week earlier. Naturally, we spoiled her and are now paying the price. Scotty came home with us at 5.5 weeks. Our breeder is over two hours away, but she knew that we had Sully and our female basset to help mother him. He came early because I had vacation already scheduled so I was with him 24/7 for a week before crating him. We didn't pick him out until that day and think that he couldn't be a better dog.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let my pups go between 7.5-8 wks....there really is no benefit to keeping longer than 8 wks, they are well ready to bond with their new owners. I just had a couple make 2 trips to my home, over 9 hrs one way, to see the pups @ the open house (5wks) and again to collect the puppy @ 8 wks!!!!! To me that shows a dedicated owner....It really is important for both parties to meet and get acquainted prior to going home day...thats just my opinion!
I totally agree - I'm not really sure what I was thinking, we only considered not visiting first for about as long as it took me to ask the question lol (actually it was only me - my husband said there was no way on earth we weren't seeing them first :)

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
Scotty came home with us at 5.5 weeks. Our breeder is over two hours away, but she knew that we had Sully and our female basset to help mother him. He came early because I had vacation already scheduled so I was with him 24/7 for a week before crating him. We didn't pick him out until that day and think that he couldn't be a better dog.
WHY would any breeder let a puppy go at that age???? some of the most critical socialization with mom and littermates happens after this age? I am glad it worked out for you but imo, this is just wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our breeder was an hour away and we picked Bailey a few days earlier (just two were left to choose from) and then we picked her up a few days later. She was 8 weeks and 1 day old when we got her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well here in Iceland it is mandatory to Pavro vaccinate before delivering puppies ( per HRFÍ rules, first vaccination before you get the put, then you get him latter one and then one Pavro vaccination per year. If this was also done with mixbreeds ( and made into law like worm cleaning them ) then Pavro would probaly be dead in Iceland ) and most vets will not vaccinate them before their 8 week birthday so puppies are normally deliever on their 8 week birthday. We got Frosti when he was 8 weeks and 3 days old, I think it is a good age.

Although some are arguing ( here in Iceland ) that it is better to deliever them at 10 weeks that they will get be better relationship with their mother.... but it is as with so many other things everybody has their own opinion. But I am very happy with Frosti so it worked fine for me to get him 8 weeks and 3 days old :p

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
They should be at least 7 weeks when they go to their new homes. Tucker was 7 weeks and 5 days old when we brought him home. Anything before 7 weeks is definitely too young to leave their litter.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I brought Bailey home at 8 weeks! The perfect age I think.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
We brought Comet home on the first day of the 8th week. His breeder was very serious about waiting until that day. I think 7 weeks is a good bare minimum. Some pups taken at earlier ages turn out just fine, but as a general rule, 49 days is a smart minimum.

We got Jax at 16 weeks, which has been great too. I didn't mind skipping housebreaking, even though it's meant extra bonding and training time since then. You have to really trust your breeder's training skills, though.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
We brought home Molson at 16 weeks. The breeder held back him and his brother a little longer so she could get a better idea of which one she wanted to keep for showing.

We had put our deposit in for her then upcoming litter the week before, but since we were the 8th deposit to come in and the ultrasound that week showed only 5 puppies, she offered us the choice of taking Molson or waiting for her next breeding which would have been born just a few weeks ago. Naturally, at the time, we wanted a puppy NOW so we picked up Molson a week later :D and I'm SO glad we did!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I picked mine up at 7.5 weeks and unfortunately that was the first time I physically got to see the litter as I did live several hours away (about 8). I think it is more ideal if you can visit, but I didn't have any issues picking because I relied heavily on what my breeder told me about the puppies. I got weekly pictures and updates about each one and lots of conversation in-between ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
we got maddison at 7 weeks and she did great....although the first few nights were hard for her in the crate but she got better....we just had 2 months of bloody diarreha to deal with when we got her and that was the only down fall but totally worth it!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
We brought Hazel home at 10 weeks of age. I was kind of glad...two weeks of extra sleep :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
?State Laws and the age of your puppy?

Here in New Hampshire the state laws state 8 weeks. It's even puplished in the pet section of the newspaper for those looking into purchasing a puppy.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We brought Comet home on the first day of the 8th week. His breeder was very serious about waiting until that day. I think 7 weeks is a good bare minimum. Some pups taken at earlier ages turn out just fine, but as a general rule, 49 days is a smart minimum.

We got Jax at 16 weeks, which has been great too. I didn't mind skipping housebreaking, even though it's meant extra bonding and training time since then. You have to really trust your breeder's training skills, though.
I was visiting with a breeder a couple of weeks ago and she said it is a state law in CT, that puppies have to be 8 weeks. I found that to be very interesting.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
My parents were breeders and wouldn't let their pups go until 12 weeks. They wanted to make sure what was most likely going to qualify for showing. I loved growing up with puppies from time to time. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts