Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Mine is over 9 months and I have only seen him lift twice! I think that happened a couple months ago. Is your guy lifting yet?
Bryley is a low, low squatter!

·
GR Lover
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is over 9 months and I have only seen him lift twice! I think that happened a couple months ago. Is your guy lifting yet?
Bryley is a low, low squatter!
No, he doesn't do it. Sometimes he squats very low, other days a little less and I like it this way. I don't care for the way male dogs pee... so i'm hoping he will pee like this forever.. lol...

I was just asking this question to see if he should be doing it by now :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I saw Sawyer lift his leg a couple of times to pee on the snow last winter so that would put him at like 4-5 months but I don't think he exactly knew what he was doing because to this day (and I had him neutered at 9.5 months) he does the 50/50 - sometimes he'll lift his leg, sometimes he'll squat and you never know what he's going to do until he does it.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Boswell lifted his leg maybe a dozen times in all his 14 years. And I liked it that way, too!

Reactions: Ellejee

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My guy is 4 1/2 yrs and he still doesn't lift his leg to pee.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,592 Posts
My bridge boy that passed away at 15.5, squatted more often than he lifted his leg and Remy does the same now too. They were/are both neutered, not sure if this makes a difference or not.

Never had a problem with either of them marking in the house either.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I should add, after Joey started lifting at 10/11 months he ONLY lifted. Since being fixed at 18 months (end of october) he doesn't mark anymore and lifts sometimes. When its a quick pee in the yard he squats. On the walk the first pee is a lift. If we are at the trail were him and his BFF run and play, he lifts. :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Tucker has never really marked anything, but he was also neutered at 8 months.

He basically just lifts for his first pee of the day (a lot of pee, probably doesn't want it running near his feet? hahah) and after we get home from work when he's been inside all day.

Other than that he stands on all four to pee.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Toby started lifting rather late as well - around 10-11 months, I think. He still doesn't lift every time even now. I'd say about 40% of the time he still squats.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Our first three males all started at about 8 months. Nugget never lifted at all, and when he was a year old Nugget lost his "nuggets". No lifting and I guess that he never will.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Nine weeks, and his balance wasn't very good. :) I'd say about once a day now at four months. But not up against a tree or anything like that. He just pees once on each walk.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I was curious about this too as Beamer is the first male I've ever had. At 8 months he hasn't started lifting his leg, but he does sometimes pee a few times on a walk instead of his usual one time which just started about a month ago.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts