Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How old Was your Golden Before they were completely potty trained??

• 1 - 4 weeks

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • 2 Months

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • 3 Months

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • 4 Months

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Greater then four Months

Votes: 19 26.8%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Maggie and Mya's Mom
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how old and how long it took to potty train your Golden...with Maggie at 8 weeks old she went to the back door the first night to go potty...she did have accidents when we werent home so I guess overall it took about a month before she could hold it...but with Mya its ongoing...shes a little more stubborn then Maggie, lol...

please share yours...

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Merlin was so easy!! We brought him home at 9 weeks, he had 3-4 pee accidents in the first week and has never had another. He even runs to the door to throw up. LOL! I was grateful to have such an easy boy.

·
Murphy's Mommy
2,441 Posts
We had some issues with Murphy, but that was probably mostly our fault. Once we started taking him out more, he had less accidents, then he caught on that if he told us he had to go, we would take him. I think by the time he was 3 months we were good to go..

·
<3 Love my boys x
241 Posts
Bodhi was house trained from day one, no accidents ever, bar one that was entirely my son's fault. We got him at 9 weeks. I think the older they are the more time they have had with mom and are better trained to be clean. We also crate through the night which makes life better for everyone as well.:p:

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
I think with both dogs WE were completely trained by the time they were 10 weeks old...

I think THEY were 100% completely potty trained... maybe around 4-5 months for Park and 5-6 months for Camden. Parker was a lot earlier than Camden as Andy and I worked opposite shifts so one of us was always home with him. Camden... the "baby" we were of course a bit more relaxed with things, so he wasn't consistent quite as soon.

·
Hi I'm Lori <-----
665 Posts
Holly was 4 months..I slowed the process by not crating right away, then by trying to use the puppy pads in the crate...had I not messed up it probably would have been a few weeks sooner :) Memphis was 7 months when we got him, and he was housetrained. Matter of fact, I wonder if he wasn't trained with a bell on the door, cause now when he has to go, he goes to the door knob and noses it. If we don't see him then he comes and paws our feet, as if to say "uh excuse me, I gotta go mom"

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Lucky was about 6 months before I was really comfortable. We didn't have a crate at first and he got a little too used to peeing on the floor especially during the night. So even at four months I had to watch him like a hawk.

·
Proud GR Owner
46 Posts
Shen just turned 5 months and we are fairly confident he is house-trained by now. He has lots of extra freedom now - used to be in the kitchen - and so far so good. I take him out often for a quick pee and he has been running to the door (I guess that is his new way of learning how to ask to go out) and looking at us to go out, too. We give him lots of praise when he does this with, "Wanna go outside?" It's really nice trusting him more and having him in our main living area hanging out with us most the time!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sparky was almost a year old. He kept getting a UTI everytime he started to get the hang of it. I was diligent, but the UTI's really held hime back. Thankfully he hasn't had a UTI in the last several months. I think it is because he doesn't squat so low to the ground now, he pees like a big boy!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
My three girls, i had at 6 weeks old and none of them ever messed in the house - and Quinn, peed on the paper the first night when we got his at 8 weeks and nothing since.

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts
My puppy caught on very quickly. Only about a couple of weeks. She only had 2 accidents in the house that were our fault because we forgot to take her out right away one morning and she never soiled her crate!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Both Sam and Ike were 9 weeks when they were house broken...they would have the rare accident until they were 4-5 months old. The accidents were always urinating while excited by 1 certain person, which became a family joke:). The Vet said their bladder muscles are not completely mature until around 5 months old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts