Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner turned two puppies over to animal control, the last two that didn't sell before Christmas. Owner claimed this puppy is 8 weeks old, if he's over 6 weeks I'll eat my hat. How old do you think he is?

20200103_184559.jpg 20200103_184610.jpg 20200103_184646.jpg 20200103_184807.jpg 20200103_184839.jpg 20200103_185308.jpg 20200103_193349.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also think he’s not 8 weeks! I’m glad you rescued the little guy! I sure hope someone good rescues his sibling. I don’t know how the owner could just drop them off at that age. They probably should be with their mom still and that’s horrible to abandon them without at least make sure they we’re going to a good home!

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
how many were in that litter?? It is possible they are 8 weeks but would not be from a small litter in that case... this sort of 'breeder' who'd turn a litter over wouldn't have started them on kibble at normal time since mama will stop cleaning at that point and from a work standpoint would not want that... so if mama were supporting litter's growth for a longer than normal time, it is possible pups will be smaller than normal. What teeth are in? And how 'in' are they? That's a better indicator than physical size given history. If litter were >/= 8, the puppy is not 8 weeks old. 7 at most likely 6....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wow. That's crazy disgusting. Breeding litters of puppies and then sending whatever doesn't sell to the shelter. That's really strange though.. that puppy looks super young, why would a greedy breeder give up on selling two so fast? I hope they're not sick..

He's an adorable little guy. I'm sure he'll find a home very fast esp since Golden puppies are so rarely rescues.

·
Premium Member
17,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how many were in that litter?? It is possible they are 8 weeks but would not be from a small litter in that case... this sort of 'breeder' who'd turn a litter over wouldn't have started them on kibble at normal time since mama will stop cleaning at that point and from a work standpoint would not want that... so if mama were supporting litter's growth for a longer than normal time, it is possible pups will be smaller than normal. What teeth are in? And how 'in' are they? That's a better indicator than physical size given history. If litter were >/= 8, the puppy is not 8 weeks old. 7 at most likely 6....
There were only two of them turned over to the animal shelter. I'm speculating they sold the other puppies before Christmas. There's no way to know how many were in the litter.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
I took pics yesterday best I could of a 6 week 3 day old pup's teeth. Not as good as your pics, but I do think your pup is older than this puppy based on how much incisor is out of the gum. Took me FOREVER to find this thread! I would have posted this yesterday but could not find the thread, I guess we have to write down the name of the thread to ever find it again if we want to contribute something. HTH.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
That’s unbelievably horrible that a breeder would turn puppies into the shelter! They run such a high risk of getting sick.

·
Premium Member
17,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took pics yesterday best I could of a 6 week 3 day old pup's teeth. Not as good as your pics, but I do think your pup is older than this puppy based on how much incisor is out of the gum. Took me FOREVER to find this thread! I would have posted this yesterday but could not find the thread, I guess we have to write down the name of the thread to ever find it again if we want to contribute something. HTH.
Took me a while to get back to this thread too. Thanks Robin, hopefully the rescue puppy isn't really as young as I thought.

I think you can go to the OP's profile and click on Discussions to find threads they started. That's how I got to it. It is hard to find things.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,902 Posts
Took me a while to get back to this thread too. Thanks Robin, hopefully the rescue puppy isn't really as young as I thought.

I think you can go to the OP's profile and click on Discussions to find threads they started. That's how I got to it. It is hard to find things.
You can also go to Your own Profile, click on discussions, all your posts come up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts