Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s fall here in Canada and weather is cooling down. I am noticing my 7.5 month old boys cost is starting to shed a ton more. I use a pin brush and slicker brush on him now. I picked up this undercoat rake to brush him with as well. Can I use the undercoat rake to brush him daily with it or less often with the rake?

I was brushing against his fur with the rake and he doesn’t mind at all when I do that. It really loosened up the dead hair and I found it simple to brush away with the slicker brush. I assume brushing against the hair is not really ideal? Is that okay as well?

Attached is a photo of the undercoat rake.

Attachments

·
Kate
22,833 Posts
That is a stripper. The reason why you are seeing a lot of undercoat come out is because it has 20+ blades on there cutting into the coat.

Basically speaking - when we use those, it is very limited/selectively used. Rule of thumb is do not use behind the shoulders or you can damage their jackets.

I use to strip out bulk in the ruff and behind the ears - and quite honestly, you "can" definitely overdo even that.

·
Registered
Finn
429 Posts
Automotive tire Output device Audio equipment Gadget Synthetic rubber

This is an undercoat rake, I believe, although I myself am not sure how often to use it. I've heard anything from 'once a week to promote healthy undercoat growth' to 'rakes damage the coat, also, never brush a golden when it's dry'.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a stripper. The reason why you are seeing a lot of undercoat come out is because it has 20+ blades on there cutting into the coat.

Basically speaking - when we use those, it is very limited/selectively used. Rule of thumb is do not use behind the shoulders or you can damage their jackets.

I use to strip out bulk in the ruff and behind the ears - and quite honestly, you "can" definitely overdo even that.
Really? They tend to advertise these types of rakes everywhere as “undercoat rakes” but it didn’t really seem to get out much hair. The slicker brush is definitely what attracted way more of the hair

·
Kate
22,833 Posts
Really? They tend to advertise these types of rakes everywhere as “undercoat rakes” but it didn’t really seem to get out much hair. The slicker brush is definitely what attracted way more of the hair
I believe that Oster calls those "grooming rakes", but that is misleading.

This is a stripping tool with blades designed to help you thin out coat. Use that in the wrong place or the wrong way and you will create "holes" in your dog's coat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you use this kind ( which doesn't cut hair ) and it's not shedding season, you will think it is the biggest waste of money. However, if it IS shedding season, you will think it works miracles. I only use it outside because of all the hair that comes out.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
If you use this kind ( which doesn't cut hair ) and it's not shedding season, you will think it is the biggest waste of money. However, if it IS shedding season, you will think it works miracles. I only use it outside because of all the hair that comes out.
I have one like this and love it. It really sends the hair flying during shedding season.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Do not go the the wrong way with the rake. (Do not go from tail to head direction, go with the coat always) Also, you will find if you try to drag it down the coat nothing much happens. You need to use short strokes.

·
Registered
Finn
429 Posts
Ive heard never brush when wet because it causes breakage?????
I've heard that too

I've got everything from 'brush regularly' to 'brush never' to 'never brush when wet' to 'never brush when dry'
I mostly hear 'never brush when dry' from show people who's dogs have beautiful coats, so idk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've heard that too

I've got everything from 'brush regularly' to 'brush never' to 'never brush when wet' to 'never brush when dry'
I mostly hear 'never brush when dry' from show people who's dogs have beautiful coats, so idk
I'll have to try it, never have! I think my Zeus's coat could possibly look better, I chalked it up to alot of beach and swim time and lots of baths which are drying. Now I don't know! This is all helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do not go the the wrong way with the rake. (Do not go from tail to head direction, go with the coat always) Also, you will find if you try to drag it down the coat nothing much happens. You need to use short strokes.
Yeah honestly when I use this going with his coat really nothing comes out. I guess he isn’t blowing coat as much as I thought. Probably because he doesn’t have his full coat yet as he is only 7.5 months is what I would think

1 - 16 of 16 Posts