Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: I’m new here and researching Midwest breeders for my first Golden puppy. I found one who seems reputable based on comments and no obvious complaints but when I asked about planned litters for 2020 - I was told that one of her bitches (who just had a Large litter in October) would be in heat again in 2 months. This can’t be healthy for the dog can it?? Is it a red flag for 2 pregnancies back to back? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Back to back breedings are considered healthy by many experts. Depending on how well the girl recovers from pregnancy & nursing they are usually considered ideal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are a lot of therio vets who will tell you that back to back is best for the uterus. Every time a female cycles, she "hormonally" is pregnant until the end of the 9 weeks, when progesterone levels drop off just like they would if she was pregnant. I have not typically done it in the past, but did it this time because she bounced back in great shape and I don't have any immediate plans to do any performance events with her.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Many breeders I know agree that if the bitch recovers well from a litter, breeding her again sooner is better than later.

What would concern me, is rarely should a dog have more than two litters. Good breeders, in my opinion, follow this guideline.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What would concern me, is rarely should a dog have more than two litters. Good breeders, in my opinion, follow this guideline.
Your opinion.
Healthy females having 3-4, or even 5 litters isn't a problem if done for the correct reasons and with the bitch's health in mind. The impact of popular sires is much more significant to the gene pool than any one female.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your opinion.
Healthy females having 3-4, or even 5 litters isn't a problem if done for the correct reasons and with the bitch's health in mind. The impact of popular sires is much more significant to the gene pool than any one female.
As I said , My Opinion! As is yours, your opinion...

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,510 Posts
Each female is unique, as is their ability to produce and raise a healthy litter. Some girls are fine with 4 or more litters, others may be one or none and you won't know until you're evaluating the specific female at the time. It's much more difficult to produce a nice litter than most people realize. If you have a sound healthy girl that thrives at motherhood give them the opportunity.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Many breeders I know agree that if the bitch recovers well from a litter, breeding her again sooner is better than later.

My Towhee had 4 successful litters and at almost 12 is still a happy & bouncy girl. She has always been exuberant but there was a centered joy / contentment she exhibited with her puppies..... A single minded devotion to her puppies and an absolute contentment.

Done properly with the girl's health & well being in mind, there is nothing wrong with multiple litters and indeed, it may be healthiest for the girl .. for both her general health and her uterus.

Because Towhee is a smaller girl and she had largish litters, her litters were spaced out so she could fully regain weight & conditioning between litters, but that was an individual choice made for her.

And her breeder is ... well ... to say highly regarded would be an understatement :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts