Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much water should a 7 month old female puppy. She drinks so much water!! Her bowl is always being refilled. Is this normal?

Reactions: kristasmith

·
Millie's Dad, Chris
1,343 Posts
I think it depends on a lot of factors, not really quantifiable.

Out little one doesn't drink a lot. Seems to work well for her. Her friend, a border collie, will drink a whole bowl if it's on offer.

I think as long as you are feeding a proper diet, one that isn't causing excessive need for hydration, then it's fine. You want to limit fluids after a surgery though

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
On *average* dogs require 1 cup of water per day per 10 pounds of body weight. More in warmer weather or with lots of activity (or barking).

Reactions: The life of Piper

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lucy drinks a ton of water also always has. She is about 40 lbs and probably drinks 6-8 cups of water a day. Our vet was not too concerned.

·
Scout's Dad
5 Posts
I've read that pups should drink about an oz. of water per lb of body weight. Our 7 month old female Scout probably weighs around 55lbs, and she's drinking about 7 cups a day of water - just about right. For what it's worth, we noticed that when she hit about 6 months she started drinking a lot more water than she had as a smaller pup.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read that pups should drink about an oz. of water per lb of body weight. Our 7 month old female Scout probably weighs around 55lbs, and she's drinking about 7 cups a day of water - just about right. For what it's worth, we noticed that when she hit about 6 months she started drinking a lot more water than she had as a smaller pup.
I'm Sure Piper is fine then… thanks for the help!:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im sure glad you asked this question! Our pup seems to endlessly be drinking water, but she's very active, and I think most of it ends up on the floor. We have a drinkwell fountain and I feel like I'm always refilling the reservoir.

Reactions: The life of Piper

·
Registered
146 Posts
So glad someone asked this question. After reading this I think our 9 month old 50-60lb pup doesn't drink enough water. He is on Fromm's Four Star diet. He gets about 3 cups of water in his bowl in the morning and it is not finished by evening.
Anything we can do to encourage more drinking (besides throwing a piece of kibble into his waterbowl)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So glad someone asked this question. After reading this I think our 9 month old 50-60lb pup doesn't drink enough water. He is on Fromm's Four Star diet. He gets about 3 cups of water in his bowl in the morning and it is not finished by evening.
Anything we can do to encourage more drinking (besides throwing a piece of kibble into his waterbowl)
Try giving him ice cubes. Dogs love it! Its like a treat to them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts