Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to go out to do some research this weekend, and it's just not feasible to bring Flora. :( I originally planned on having her boarded, and do have a reservation somewhere, but I do live with a 27 year old and her 17 year old brother, whom I think would be perfectly willing to watch Flora while I'm gone.

My biggest concern is the 27 year old has two dogs of her own, and she and her brother seem to forget to let the dogs out frequently enough that finding poop and pee on the carpet is a random occurrence. :yuck: That said, I still think Flora would be more comfortable at home, even if she isn't let out as much as I'd like.

So my question is, when I ask them if they'd want to watch Flora for me, what amount should I offer to pay them? I was thinking $50. This would be for half of Friday, all day Saturday, and most of Sunday, and all I would be asking them to do is feed her 2x a day, let her out 3-4 times a day, and maybe walk her on Saturday.

Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks!

ETA: Blah, just found out I could potentially take her on my research trip with me, but she'd have to sit in a cabin all day while I'm out on a boat for 8-9 hours. Now I don't know what to do!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
$50 is reasonable, but if you know that they aren't good about getting the dogs out and can take her with you, that's what I would do. Can she go 8-9 hours without a potty break (my Jasper absolutely could not during the day, my other two could).

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd take her. That way she's safe and you know what she's doing. Many adult dogs go 8 hours while the humans are away at work. I think she'd be fine and very happy to have no sights and smells to investigate! :)

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
I use a friend's son to watch my house and cats (I haven't left Jazz with him), but $50.00 seems more then fair since they live there anyway. But, the better question is do you trust them to take care of Flora the way you'd want and do you trust them to walk her? Does she stay at home when you work usually? Would she relax in a new place and be content to wait? If she would, I'd take her. If not, I'd leave her where you'll feel comfortable knowing she's well taken care of.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
My boyfriend and I just left Vito with bf's 17 year old brother at my parents house (who were out of town) for Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday afternoon/evening. He was supposed to stay at the house with Vito since Vito was raised there and it is a comfortable environment.

It was a complete disaster and we will NEVER do it again. He barely walked him and ended up taking him over to his parent's house for a night when we left strict instructions NOT to. Then, he left him Sunday morning at 9 am without coming back and my parents did not get home until 9-10 pm that night. Poor guy went almost 13 hours without peeing on 4th of July with FIREWORKS going on. UGH, we were freaking out. It was the worst.

I advise you take her with you or board her.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Fifty dollars is more than generous for the little bit you are asking from them. I think she would be better off at home, than in a strange place by herself while you are out.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My boyfriend and I just left Vito with bf's 17 year old brother at my parents house (who were out of town) for Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday afternoon/evening. He was supposed to stay at the house with Vito since Vito was raised there and it is a comfortable environment.

It was a complete disaster and we will NEVER do it again. He barely walked him and ended up taking him over to his parent's house for a night when we left strict instructions NOT to. Then, he left him Sunday morning at 9 am without coming back and my parents did not get home until 9-10 pm that night. Poor guy went almost 13 hours without peeing on 4th of July with FIREWORKS going on. UGH, we were freaking out. It was the worst.

I advise you take her with you or board her.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm worried about. He's a nice kid, but lacks any kind of responsibility. He just loafs around the house all day and uses the internet.

She would be fine in the cabin all by herself for 8 hours. She's gone 10 hours by herself. I may buy a food dispensing toy and leave her with it to keep herself occupied. I suppose my ONLY concern about leaving her alone in the cabin is it is air conditioned only by a window unit, and god forbid if it broke. :(

Hm... seems like the majority feels I should take her with. I may just do that! She'd love it down there, I know that for sure, even though she'd be lonely on Saturday.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I'd take her. Is there anyone who owns the cabin who could check mid day to see if the AC is running? It is probably highly unlikely it would break down that day.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
our neighbor dog is family to us-- but lst time he stayed home (vs. kennel) without his folks/me feeding,etc. he was not the same dog! anxiety without his family was terrible...he's used to the routine now & all is fine. take her if possible & maybe do short trials with these sitters to prepare for the future.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The air conditioner thing is a worry....

If you were leaving her...I might say to go less.. but on return, talk to them about how it went... and then compliment them on "Thanks for that walk" and give $5-10 at that point... Gotta reinforce the behaviors you like....

Or maybe thing about working them up to it....and have them take her out once every week or so to pee or walk.... and reinforce with baked goods or $5....to build up your =confidence for next time you're away.

I have to ask! What kind of research are you doing!?

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I would lean more towards leaving her at home. I know Molson would go nuts and stress out in a new place by himself for a whole day (unless he had human or canine companionship). But it's up to you. If you'll have lots of free time in the evenings/mornings to get her some exercise to tire her out (sounds like it might be neat if you're staying in a cabin :confused:), and know that she'll be ok staying alone then I would bring her.

I do like what Red Dogs said below about 'tipping' after the fact for walking her, etc. I would say that $50 to start is pretty generous considering the amount of time they will put into it... maybe it would add up to 25 minutes total to feed/let out, besides the walk.

If you were leaving her...I might say to go less.. but on return, talk to them about how it went... and then compliment them on "Thanks for that walk" and give $5-10 at that point... Gotta reinforce the behaviors you like....

Or maybe thing about working them up to it....and have them take her out once every week or so to pee or walk.... and reinforce with baked goods or $5....to build up your =confidence for next time you're away.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It is a little bit of a concern, but I plan on bringing some fans along as well to run in the cabin while we're gone. I mean... we were out of air conditioning in my own house for the last 5 days and Flora did okay without it.

I thought about doing it that way - 'Oh, thanks for walking Flora and feeding her!' ..Actually, feeding her is another concern. My roommate generally goes out on the weekends, and her brother is one of those kids that sleeps until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, so I don't know if Flora would be fed on time.

I dunno. I always make a big fuss about things like this and it usually works out in the end. I'll probably bring her. Next time I'm going out for research she'll be safe @ home in Illinois with my parents, which will be reassuring. :)

Flora is okay being left alone in strange places. I'd have all day Friday to get her used to the area, because we wouldn't get out on the water until Saturday, and I would definitely make sure to give her a good romp around outside before heading out. Heck, if it wasn't so hot in the boat all day I'd take Flora out with me, but I think she would be miserable.

My research is investigating how different types of wetland plants work towards attenuating (i.e. slowing down) storm water flow during a high energy storm event like a hurricane. Right now all the stormwater surge models don't include any kind of parameter for vegetative forces, so I'm collecting data to provide to engineers who will incorporate it into current flow models. I'm also looking @ pre and post hurricane conditions of a wetland, but that's not really a novel idea anymore; I think we're doing it mostly to sate our own personal curiosities. :p:

Thanks for the input everyone, it's always good to hear what other people would do with their pups!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts