Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first Golden Retriever (Radar) last night. I got him from someone that kept him outside in a pen with his momma and he is 13 weeks old. He hasnt had hardly any socialization with people. He is very friendly and loving and very happy to be in the house after living in a small pen in the snow, mud, and cold. He weighs 27 pounds and looks quite heavy however he acts like he is starving and when I feed him he attacks his food and practically swallows it whole. Does anyone know how much I should be feeding him? Thank you

·
Registered
926 Posts
Goldens are notorious to make you feel like they are starving.

27lbs for a 13 week old to me is heavy. My puppy at 16 weeks was 23lb and my 4.5 year old was 30 lbs at 6 months....

How much you need to feed him depends on what you are feeding him? What are you feeding him?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Goldens are notorious to make you feel like they are starving.

27lbs for a 13 week old to me is heavy. My puppy at 16 weeks was 23lb and my 4.5 year old was 30 lbs at 6 months....

How much you need to feed him depends on what you are feeding him? What are you feeding him?
ZOYA is 6 month old and she is 50 lbs. Does it mean that she is overweight?? She is very active though! And love playing soccer. :)
BTW my vet told me that she is gorwing OK.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Zoya, all pups have different body styles, so different weights and why it is hard to say what is normal for a certain age. We have charts, but not really reliable in all cases. The best way to see if your pup is at a good weight is to look from the top and see if they have a tuck at the waist so they have an hourglass, run your hands down his/her sides and see if you feel ribs with just a bit of pressure. If you feel/see ribs, then the pup probably could use more weight, if can't feel them without pushing in more hard, then a bit overweight. Your eyes and hands are the best indicator of good weight for your pup,,,they can be all vastly different for the same age.

Our girl at 6 mo weighed 46 lbs, our male weighed 55 lbs, just two different body styles, both dogs slim, well built, just different! Both are fed almost 3 cu daily split into 2 meals. Sounds like to me your girl is doing great!

Radar - rhondas is right about most of our pups are endless guts and always act like they are starving. A couple of suggestions are: Try to slow his eatting down so his tummy will catch up with his brain to tell him he is full. Put his food in a dispensing toy like a Kong and have him work for it, or feed him by hand. You can also pour his food on a cookie sheet so he has to look more for it, or buy a feeding dish with a bump in the middle that makes him work more to get it, but all of this will slow him down. You can also feed less and treat more! Use green beans, other veggies, my dogs love the baby carrots for training time and this also will fill his tummy. You can buy a Kong that can be filled with peanut butter, kibble, yougart, just about anything and then put in the freezer and will occupy him for a long time! But yes I think if we dumped a whole bag down, many of our pups would try to eat it all! Just slow him down and give him only the amount he needs. You don't want to pile the pounds on him when so young. He needs time to get his bones good and strong and doesn't need extra weight pulling on his growing joints. Good Luck with your boy and so glad you got him out of what sounds like a bad situation! Can't imagine ANY golden forced to live outside! They are family dogs and only happy and mentally growing if part of your family. Thank you for taking him and bet he makes a fantastic boy for you.

Reactions: Zoya
1 - 5 of 5 Posts