Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 4 month old puppy and I was wondering how much I should be feeding him. His dad was 75 lbs so I been kind of winging it based off the back of the bag. It says to feed him 3 + 1/2 cup a day for a target weight of 77 lbs+. I been feeding him 3 cups per day.

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
224 Posts
We don't measure in cups in UK, but I read the packet instructions as meaning the displayed amount three times per day. I checked with other food companies that have a calculator based on current weight and breed, and their suggestions reinforced my interpretation.

No vet has suggested mine is overfed, although trainers have commented that he is a bit on the strong side.

In either case the thing to monitor is his ribs, which should not be visible. My view is the ribs will be hard to see under a GR coat, so I measure fatness by touch alone. If the ribs are felt with a light brush of the hand then I would feed more, and if they cannot be felt with a firm press of the hand then I would feed less. You can do a similar test at the base of the tail, which should not display a store of fat, but with no human anatomy to compare with I don't know how to rely on that measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts