Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mia's mom
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hi everyone. Just wanted to ask some advice. We just brought home a new puppy on Sunday and my older Golden who is 8 is very upset. Every time the puppy gets near her she growls and wants to snip at the puppy. Last night she nipped at the puppy good. The puppy ran off crying and I thought she was really hurt, thank goodness she wasn't. We give her attention as well and praise her when she doesn't growl at the puppy. How long should it take for her to get used to having the puppy around. I'm afraid if it doesn't get better I will have to bring the pup back to the breeder which I don't want to do.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
How is the older dog around dogs in general? Have you thrown off the older girl schedule with the pup? I would take time everyday to go outside and play withthe older dog and let the pup just run around while you do this. Your older dog will see that you still love her and the pup can be nearby and you still love her. Also try sitting on the floor during the day or evening so you can snuggle with both. I would give it a few weeks.
My dogs are use to dogs coming and going. I ahve been doing rescue work for over 30yrs. When we brought Jige home only had a couple of days issues with my sisters older lab. Now they paly together and go swimming together.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I agree with General's suggestions. I'd add that it's important to allow the older dog to get away from the puppy when she's out of patience. Whether you need to use a baby gate or some other solution, give the older dog the opportunity to take a break.

You should also dedicate some attention, as General suggests, to working the older dog and giving her one-on-one time. If you train "sit" for 10 minutes with the pup, take ten minutes to have the pup crated and to give your older Golden a training session with rewards.

I'm not sure if this is pure superstition or not, but I've always handed out food, toys, and treats by rank. The older dog gets dibs, and the younger dog has to wait politely. I can't say definitively that it helps, but it feels right to me.

Lots of older dogs have very little patience for puppies, and it's actually pretty normal for them to give a grown and nip that sends a puppy off screaming but doesn't break the skin. Many puppies are drama queens when the adult dog finally disciplines them. A screaming puppy sounds like he's on the verge of death, but it's usually theatrics. The puppy is showing the older dog that he gets the message and preventing the older dog from continuing to bite. Some puppies will even scream when the adult dog lunges, even if she doesn't make contact.

Give it some time. There's an excellent chance that your older girl will warm up to the pup once the pup learns some manners. Supervise their interactions, but don't scold the older dog for growling or wanting her space. If the interaction gets too energetic, separate them, but again, don't scold the older dog. Unless she breaks the skin or grabs and holds/shakes the pup, she's just teaching the pup manners.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
My older girl is not a fan of puppies until they are 4-5 months old. She wont even take a treat from my hand if there is a trace of puppy spit on them. I keep them generally separated unless closely supervised until the pups get older. After they reach the 4-5 month old stage and have learned to be respectful of her space, she really enjoys them and will play chase me-chase you, entice them to play tug and puts up with far more foolishness then she did when they were younger.
Personally I don't have a problem with her reminding a young pup that they must be mindful of her space...that they dont have carte-blanche to run up to her jump on her or take her toys. It usually takes just one loud reminder for the pups to learn her rules. Must add that she has never hurt a pup - it is a loud flurry...The same pup learns that they can steal Tracer's toys and chew on Libby's tail/ears with no consequence...go figure...

·
Mia's mom
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is the older dog around dogs in general? Have you thrown off the older girl schedule with the pup? I would take time everyday to go outside and play withthe older dog and let the pup just run around while you do this. Your older dog will see that you still love her and the pup can be nearby and you still love her. Also try sitting on the floor during the day or evening so you can snuggle with both. I would give it a few weeks.
My dogs are use to dogs coming and going. I ahve been doing rescue work for over 30yrs. When we brought Jige home only had a couple of days issues with my sisters older lab. Now they paly together and go swimming together.
She is not around any other dogs since our Shiba passed. We are keeping her schedule the same, even feeding her when the pup is outside playing. We always play with her when we get home from work for about a half hour or more. We are trying to keep things as normal as possible for her. I do sit on the floor and play with both of them as well as outside time. My older one wags her tail with her ears back and her eyes almost bulging out of her head. We praise her when the pup gets close to her without any signs of aggression. Should we scold her?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I personally would not scold her. Puppies can be feisty little monkeys. You will find that you will also need to correct Mia as she enters *your* personal space and bites at you at times. Your older dog is just doing the same.

I feel that it is incredibly important that you stick up for your older dog. Mia needs to be supervised or when that is impossible they need to be separated. This is what we did for our 9 year old girl for at least 6 months.

Our pup is now a year and a half and they get along beautifully. Your pup will settle down and learn some manners... in time.

Good luck.

PS Mia IS adorable!!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
It took my lab at home, Sadie, a good 2 weeks before she would accept Beamer. She would resource guard (something she had never done before) and snap at the puppy. Time was the best thing for her and now they are best buddies. He can go up to her and take a bone right out of her mouth and she doesn't care. Just work with them, never leave them unsupervised, and give the older dog especially individual attention and it will come with time.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I've puppy sat a few puppies for friends and Chance was really mean to only one of them. A male Golden puppy that was about 10 weeks old. He growled and lunged at the puppy when he came near him while he had a nylabone. Chance had never done that before. He'll even wait for the cats to finish drinking water before he drinks. I thought it was because of the nylabone, but he lunged again when he was just laying there and the pup walked by. I had the Golden here for two weeks and had to keep them totally separated the whole time. Maybe Chance would have gotten over it but since it wasn't mine, I didn't want to risk putting them together.

It was just this one puppy and for some reason, he didn't like him. I thought that it was maybe because it was a boy, but I watched a pug and a 1 lb. Maltese puppy after the Golden, both males, and he was fine with both of them, even when they took toys from him.

I hope this isn't the case with your two...sometimes it just takes awhile for the older dog to adjust. Good luck with them.

Here's Chance with Harry, the 16 week old old Maltese that he was perfect with:

Attachments

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
When dogs correct puppy behavior it looks scary. Lucky my golden was chief disciplinarian for Cozy my yorkies 2 litters. He would growl at them mostly when they were too playful but a few times he did mouth them like their mother did and the offending puppy would run away scaried and a crying but within 10 min. But be laying next to Lucky again.

Always supervise the interactions though. Good luck.

Reactions: Golden Lady

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
At age 8 when my Sammi lost her lifelong mate to cancer we got a puppy. She had been alone for almost a month and when they first met she was so excited and love the puppy. When she learned the pup was here to stay she started getting a little snarky at times about being bothered.
I just made sure the pup could not have the opportunity to annoy, they became great friends, especially once the attacking landshark days ended. We made sure Sammi got to go places and get treated special.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts