Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get up at 5:30am to let Ellie outside, walk, and feed her. Then we play and she goes inside her crate from 7am until 9am. My mom comes over to let her out of the crate and dog-sit until 4pm. While my mom is here, she cleans the house and cooks so she doesn't spend time with the dog even though the dog is around the house with her. I get home from work around 5:30pm and again, we'd walk and play together for about 1-1.5 hour. She's out all evening and night so the only time she's crated is from 7am to 9am and from 4-5:30pm. After our walk and play session, I am in the living room or kitchen while she's at my feet or on the floor. We don't really play per say, but I do come over to give her hugs, kisses, and belly rubs.

She's very independent and doesn't seem needy. She enjoys it when I pet her, but she doesn't come over for pets unless I call her. In the middle of the week on Wednesday, I take her to doggy daycare where she spends all day from 7am to 5pm with other dogs and people. She's always tired when she comes home so on Wed. we don't go on any walk. Am I spending enough time with my dog?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am home 99% of the time so I spend LOTS of time with the boys. Sasha who is one is more demanding than Gunnie. So I play ball with him in the house and training games with both. We go outside often to play fetch and my hubby takes over when he gets home.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
I just wanted to say it looks like you've sorted out the daily schedule and it's working out really well for her. And we need updated pics. :)

@time spent.... I'll be honest, I am closer to my current guy than I ever was with previous goldens. I think part of that is because he is a needy little guy and because he has closely bonded with me. When I'm not home, he will play with his collie brother or visit with family, but then spend his late afternoons waiting for me to come home to him. And he's been like that since he was a little puppy. My mom says that when he disappears at 3 or 3:30, he usually is lying down in the basement facing the garage door. And waiting.

So knowing he's that needy, I don't really spend that much time out like I used to with the other dogs. Sad, right? :)

When I'm home, I am the person who takes him out everywhere. I take him for walks, rides... and I am the only one who trains him. So that has very likely tightened that bond between us.

Were he different or more independent like your girl, I probably would feel less guilty about spending more time going out with friends or hanging out at the barn.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it sounds just fine. Darby is with us when we are home, but we are not always playing with her...she is just in the room chewing on toys or bones. I actually look forward to when she is more trustworthy and independant. Right now she is crated if I can not 100% keep an eye on her. If your dog seems happy, you are doing just fine! :)

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Megora, I'll post new photos in another post. I want to add that I do take Ellie out at least once a week. We don't go to the dog park because I'm hesitant about them. I know it's silly, but I often don't trust other dog owners at the park because they don't seem to handle their dogs, especially the little ones. When we go out, I take Ellie to the beach, nearby school to play with the kids, Christmas tree farm, Home Depot, etc. We also visit family so she comes with us pretty much everywhere we go on the weekend. During the weekday, she's mostly at home except for the morning and evening walks.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
She sounds like she's living a great dog's life to me. ;)

You sound like you care a lot about your dog and she sounds like a happy camper. So many dogs get ignored after the puppy stage...

I have to work out how I'm going to care for my two when I go back to work :crossfing hopefully after the New Year. I'm guessing the puppy will need to go to doggy day care...

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful life to me. In our house both of us work, so we work hard on quality time, not quanity time. Our life at home is centered around all our dogs and they are included in all our decisions. Where we go, they go!

All seem to be well rounded and feel loved, so hopefully we are doing ok. Some dogs bond more tightly. Know my show dogs are very close to me because of the travel, staying in hotels etc we did. Now they are older but glued to me still. The goldens know I am the trainer, caretaker so closer to me, but love snuggling with DH more.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Sounds like a great doggie life to me.
BTW, could you please send me your mom? lol

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Sounds good to me! We both work so Koda is in her crate about 8 hours (4 hour blocks). Either my mom, my mother in law or the pet sitter come around lunch time to feed her, take her on a walk and play for about 1 - 1.5 hours. She gets two hours in the morning with us and then once we get home between 4:30 and 5:30 she gets all our attention. We play lots, walk, play more, eat. More me than my husband but I feel like when she is crated so long during the day she deserves my attention when I am home. I hope to one day move to part time work and then she won't be alone as long but for now this is our life. She seems to have adjusted to it just fine. Even on weekends she still sleeps the majority of the day. Although weekends are our special times, that is when we go places fun with her! :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It sounds as though you have made your pup a priority in your life and she's lucky to have you! Nugget is just over a year now, and he lets us know if he wants more attention by bringing toys over and putting them in our laps.

When he wants quiet time he goes off and sleeps in "his" area. Otherwise he spends time with either my husband or me when we are using the computer, etc. by just being a good companion right at our feet, on the couch with us, etc.

If she is bored, she'll let you know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts