Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I were wondering if we are feeding him enough or too much.
Red currently weighs 14.5 lbs (last thursday) we feed him 2/3 cup in the morning and evening.
Is this enough?
For the morning he eats just a little bit and then finishes it after we walk the kids to school. in the evening he eats everything in one sitting.
I dont want to go by what the dog food bag says because I think they say to feed them too much.
thanks in advance for any advice

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
I have always feed mine as much as they would eat in 15 min. 3x/ day til they are 6 months old then I switch it to 2x/day. As adults the amount I feed flucuates depending on season and activity level. Over all Lucky ate 1.5 scopes (I think a scoop was 2 cups- So he ate 3 cups daily as an adult but as a puppy he ate a lot probably close to 6 cups a day til he was 2 then he started to just eat less on his own) of Proplan performance daily. He was spoiled though. He would get scrambled eggs in the morning and steamed veggies at night with his kibble. He always go high nutrition but lean foods.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Coop was on a 3 X day 1/2 cu. and if he finished all, then I added 1/4 cu more on the next feeding until he was on 1 cu 3 x day. On his own a bit past his 3rd month he just started leaving the noon meal and now at almost 4 mo on 2 meals with 1 1/2 cu each feeding. In the afternoon for training he gets treats and raw veggies. He will go to the vet for last shots after Thanksgiving, but I would think he is about 35 lbs now. My other goldens continued the 3 feedings a day until they were 4-5 mo, so Coop was a month early for this, but he looks good, not too thin, so think we are fine.

I am a believer of the slow method of growth. After having a 90 lb golden, not fat, but huge, in later life his hips bothered him. We took 10 lbs off, he looked a bit thin, but his hips were much better, I don't want this with my new kids, so we are trying to exercise a lot, and keep them on the thinner side as they grow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks! good information, i tried looking up this stuff, but i would get conflicting info on any sight i would look at!
we have our first vet visit today, and ill see what he says. but right now i think what im doing is working. he is now finishing all of his food. and is up to 16 lbs!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
It depends on the food you feed too. If you are feeding a food that has filler ingridents in it your pup will be hungery more often than if you go a food that doesnt use filler like corn and wheat. BaWaaJige never really ate his midday meal. I wold set it down for him and he would take a bite or two and then walk away. He is 6.5 mos old weight about 57-60# not heavy at all(he came froma big litter) and he eats twice a day.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so ive switched the puppy to 1/2 cup 3x a day. and that worked for about a week, but he ate lunch at 12:30 today and now its 3ish, and he is at the baby gate begging for food! so do you think i should feed him 2/3 cup 3x a day? im sure this sounds like a trivial question, but i dont want him to grow to fast, or get fat! he looks "thin" but not "starving" thin.
this is the first puppy we have had in about 8 years, so im a little lost.
our vet said to feed him as much as he wants to eat in a 15 min period, but this guy would probably eat till he explodes!
i want to make sure he grows slow, so to help prevent hip dysplasia, even thoe the breeder is certified in ofa, she says to help him grow "slowly".

what do you think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i changed the amount at dinner. i swear this dog could eat an entire cow!!!

this is defiantly off topic here.. but he is 10 weeks yesterday, and today he started "humping" the blanket in the living room! is this normal? my last boy dog, he didnt do things like this, but he had several issues, both physical and mental (this is a long and painful story). and my girl dog, we got her as an adult and she never did things like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts