Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a golden retriever puppy and finally found someone but they claim they are full breed but only the mom is papered how much should they be charging for them? I feel like they are asking for the price they would be if they were fully papered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what she said they are not papered the mom is but the dad’s not we were not planning on breeding this is a surprise litter
Males will be between 800 and 1100
Females will be between 900 and 1300 yes they are purebred I own both parents then I told her they seem too high in price that I could see paying 700+ on a pure puppy but not a unpapered puppy so she said I do payments and I’ve had other planned litters with the same breed and they were all sold before they were a week old for the same price I’m asking.
Yes I understand the risk of get an unregisted puppy I just been looking everywhere and can't find any sadly.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Just be prepared to pay at the other end then. You may get a "cheap" puppy now, but he or she might wind up having hip or elbow dysplasia, or even worse, a defective heart. That is incalculable in terms of heartbreak and pain, many many, many thousands of dollars in vet bills.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,127 Posts
I agree with Sweet Girl on this. BUT, if you do go this route $600 maybe and buy quality insurance. But at the low end of $50 a month that is $600 a year in insurance and in just 4 years you would have paid $3000 total, the same amount as highly well bred puppy. Plus, not to mention the pain a puppy going through some of those health issues like hip/elbow dysplasia, SAS and eye issues like cataracts. So you would have to make that choice, which is a no brainer but I can't spend your money for you and you may not have $3000 to spend at once.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,127 Posts
This is what she said they are not papered the mom is but the dad’s not we were not planning on breeding this is a surprise litter
Females will be between 900 and 1300 yes they are purebred I own both parents then I told her they seem too high in price that I could see paying 700+ on a pure puppy but not a unpapered puppy so she said I do payments and I’ve had other planned litters with the same breed and they were all sold before they were a week old for the same price I’m asking.
Yes I understand the risk of get an unregisted puppy I just been looking everywhere and can't find any sadly.
That is way more then I would consider paying for unpapered and no health clearances on the parents. She can tell you she sold out other unpapered puppies but that means nothing and can easily be lies. Only deal in facts, not a sellers hearsay. The facts, no registration, no health clearances and you can find registered puppies even with some health clearances in the $1200-$1500 range.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,127 Posts
People like this are likely preying upon buyers really wanting puppies during this pandemic and just breeding anything to take advantage. If you know the downside of puppies like this, waiting 6 more months or a year is so much better then a puppy that could live as little as 18 months (NCL) or a severe case of SAS (6 yeare or less) compared to a well bred pup that likely will live to 10-14 years.

This is the way I look at it. But knowing what you're getting into... INSURANCE is paramount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Sweet Girl on this. BUT, if you do go this route $600 maybe and buy quality insurance. But at the low end of $50 a month that is $600 a year in insurance and in just 4 years you would have paid $3000 total, the same amount as highly well bred puppy. Plus, not to mention the pain a puppy going through some of those health issues like hip/elbow dysplasia, SAS and eye issues like cataracts. So you would have to make that choice, which is a no brainer but I can't spend your money for you and you may not have $3000 to spend at once.
You have a point I'll just wait to buy a registered puppy thank you for helping me out!

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
If the parents don't have publicly verifiable health clearances, then you are better off getting a puppy from a reputable rescue (and those typically cost $300-400) because at least the money isn't lining the pockets of a BYB. And it's on the breeder at this point b/c I've seen accidental litters without clearances, have the clearances done in the 8 weeks after the litter is born before they go home (even if the hips and elbows are just prelims, it's something for those whose dogs are underage).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just be prepared to pay at the other end then. You may get a "cheap" puppy now, but he or she might wind up having hip or elbow dysplasia, or even worse, a defective heart. That is incalculable in terms of heartbreak and pain, many many, many thousands of dollars in vet bills.
Yes this is true I know how expensive vet visits can be from past experiences I'll wait and hopefully get one soon thank you so much!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, I got a puppy back in 2011 with no papers - on either side. We were broke students got our pup for $500. He was an absolute angel, the best dog in the world. But, in his first year of life spent hundreds on antibiotics to get rid of giardia and additional deworming. His testicles didn’t descend so he required more invasive surgery for neutering at 6 months that cost almost 1000 all in. We paid about $10k for a torn ccl and rehab. Then, he passed away just after his 6th birthday from cancer.

My current dog Teddy is 3, almost 4. We got him from a reputable breeder. We spend just shy of $3k for him. To date, he’s had some issues with allergies and has needed medication here and there but the cost has been minimal. He wasn’t neutered until after he was a year, may have been closer to a year and a half as all was normal. Our vet says he’s “built like a brick”. No issues with hips, heart, etc thus far.

As the previous poster said, please get insurance if you move forward with this breeder. Personally, given my experience and seeing the difficulties my dog had at such a young age - I would spend the extra amount upfront if you can. I know it’s tough to wait and wait lists can be long, but it’s worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the parents don't have publicly verifiable health clearances, then you are better off getting a puppy from a reputable rescue (and those typically cost $300-400) because at least the money isn't lining the pockets of a BYB. And it's on the breeder at this point b/c I've seen accidental litters without clearances, have the clearances done in the 8 weeks after the litter is born before they go home (even if the hips and elbows are just prelims, it's something for those whose dogs are underage).
so I have been looking around to see if I could adopt I do love adopting dogs as well but we don't have any here and I really want a golden retriver do you know maybe any reputable rescues that I could look up

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
so I have been looking around to see if I could adopt I do love adopting dogs as well but we don't have any here and I really want a golden retriver do you know maybe any reputable rescues that I could look up
Where abouts are you? Do you have an area you are confining the search to? I found my bear (he was a golden mix) through Petfinder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, I got a puppy back in 2011 with no papers - on either side. We were broke students got our pup for $500. He was an absolute angel, the best dog in the world. But, in his first year of life spent hundreds on antibiotics to get rid of giardia and additional deworming. His testicles didn’t descend so he required more invasive surgery for neutering at 6 months that cost almost 1000 all in. We paid about $10k for a torn ccl and rehab. Then, he passed away just after his 6th birthday from cancer.

My current dog Teddy is 3, almost 4. We got him from a reputable breeder. We spend just shy of $3k for him. To date, he’s had some issues with allergies and has needed medication here and there but the cost has been minimal. He wasn’t neutered until after he was a year, may have been closer to a year and a half as all was normal. Our vet says he’s “built like a brick”. No issues with hips, heart, etc thus far.

As the previous poster said, please get insurance if you move forward with this breeder. Personally, given my experience and seeing the difficulties my dog had at such a young age - I would spend the extra amount upfront if you can. I know it’s tough to wait and wait lists can be long, but it’s worth it.
Wow it's hard loosing a dog I'll keep this in mind I really wouldn't want to spend so much because a puppy is more affordable than a registered puppy so chances are I might wait even though It might take a while but it is what it is and I rather spend over $700 on a dog that will be healthier than a dog that might not come out healthy she did say she was going to get her dog registered but she couldn't cuz she wasn't going to breed him but she over $700 on a dog that will be healthier than a dog that might not come out healthy she did say she was going to get her dog registered but she couldn't cuz she wasn't going to breed him but she still didn't get him neutered over $700 on a dog that will be healthier than a dog that might not come out as healthy she did say she was going to get her dog registered but she didnt because she wasn't going to breed him but she still didn't get him fixed so I'll just skip on this offer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where abouts are you? Do you have an area you are confining the search to? I found my bear (he was a golden mix) through Petfinder.
I'm currently in Utah I have been looking on Petfinder locally but no luck I did tell my husband that I'm willing to travel to adopt a golden retriever regardless if it's a mix or not so I really don't care I just really want a golden retriever they are just so cute and I've wanted one since I was little. Before my dog passed last month we had planned on getting one to keep him company but sadly unforseen things happen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow it's hard loosing a dog I'll keep this in mind I really wouldn't want to spend so much because a puppy is more affordable than a registered puppy so chances are I might wait even though It might take a while but it is what it is and I rather spend over $700 on a dog that will be healthier than a dog that might not come out healthy she did say she was going to get her dog registered but she couldn't cuz she wasn't going to breed him but she over $700 on a dog that will be healthier than a dog that might not come out healthy she did say she was going to get her dog registered but she couldn't cuz she wasn't going to breed him but she still didn't get him neutered over $700 on a dog that will be healthier than a dog that might not come out as healthy she did say she was going to get her dog registered but she didnt because she wasn't going to breed him but she still didn't get him fixed so I'll just skip on this offer
Good luck with the search! I know it's hard, especially after losing your dog. The house always feels so empty without them. And, goldens are the best :) Aside from all the $ we spent (I would have handed over a blank cheque for our Duggie), it was heartbreaking to see him suffer. Sadly, there are a lot of people who will take advantage of those that just want a puppy to love and care for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good luck with the search! I know it's hard, especially after losing your dog. The house always feels so empty without them. And, goldens are the best :) Aside from all the $ we spent (I would have handed over a blank cheque for our Duggie), it was heartbreaking to see him suffer. Sadly, there are a lot of people who will take advantage of those that just want a puppy to love and care for.
Thank you yes its so hard I was so used to giving him treats whenever i was cooking it took a while to get used to not turning around and giving him something we only had him for barely over a year. And I'm so sorry I can totally relate our vet gave us a poem about the rainbow bridge it still give me comfort. And sadly thats how the world is now I just hope to one day we finally get a new memeber in the family once again to spoil and love once more.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I'm currently in Utah I have been looking on Petfinder locally but no luck I did tell my husband that I'm willing to travel to adopt a golden retriever regardless if it's a mix or not so I really don't care I just really want a golden retriever they are just so cute and I've wanted one since I was little. Before my dog passed last month we had planned on getting one to keep him company but sadly unforseen things happen.
I'm unfamiliar with that area. There are the golden retriever specific rescues I'm aware of in California...
Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue & Sanctuary in Elverta, Ca

IMO, I'd recommend checking in with any of the GRCA chapters around Utah (looks like there are 2 in AZ and 1 in CO) and see if they know of any rescues that they recommend and go from there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Females will be between 900 and 1300
First of all what is the $300-$400 variance in price based on?
Second, I would not take a pup from that litter if it came with a $1100 to $1300 bonus.
Lastly, this is a puppy mill breeding. I hope no pups are sold and the breeder has to deal with them for the next decade plus.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I wondered the same thing- why would a bitch be more costly (in this other-world) than a dog? A dog should cost more if one balances out costs til desexing, since boys are like $100 to neuter and girls are more like $500.
That very premise implies someone would breed the bitch puppy and make money off her, so she, her unregistered, probably sweet but not type correct self, would be worth more than the dog who you can't really make $'s off of.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts