Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to feeding my golden girl, 7 months, Riley raw food. She was brought up on that since she was a pup, so I followed. She does love it and is maturing well. At this point, I am feeding her twice a day, about a 1lb a day, I cut back from 1 1/2 lb. Is this still too much, 1 pound a day, divided into twice a day? I am having a hard time finding that rib cage, it seems to have quite a good layer of pup over it!
Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Jamie
491 Posts
I would cut back for a bit, maybe do 1.25 lbs. Puppies are hard because their body conditions change from week to week. I'm feeding raw (only 50% and 50% kibble) as well, and its a guessing game for my 6 month old. He gets a pound a day, and then I adjust the kibble based on how he is looking. The standard for female golden is 55-65 lbs, so if you estimate she will weigh around 60lbs, and do 2.5% of that it comes out to 1.5lbs. That is good starting point, then based on activity you can adjust.

For instance, my 47 lb female, is very active with a good metabolism so she is getting as much food as my boy that will likely be around 70lbs. Its all dog dependent!

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
What raw are you feeding?

The reason I ask is, is that if you are feeding a pre-made raw, you should be able to find a caloric value by oz for the food which may help you determine the amount needed.

For example, I feed Brisby Big Country Raw. They have a feeding calculator on site for dogs under a year and then for dogs over a year based on expected/desired weight. For a puppy your dog's age they recommend 1.5 lbs, however that is based on their formulas.

Of course, treats and snacks should be factored into the equation and the amount fed at meals adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I go by caloric content for my 65 lb male and also have a spreadsheet set up of the protein, fat, etc. to aid in alternating proteins. I buy four proteins and rotate them every day. My vet has told me he is one of the healthiest Goldens she takes care of and his weight is perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts