Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Harvey on either Solid Gold Wolf Cub or Wellness Large Breed Puppy dry food since he was 2 months. Now he is almost 9 months and I've realized that I should have switched to adult food a little earlier. I've started switching him over to Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Fish and he's doing great- his stools are firmer and he loves the food.

The only question I have is about the protein. His previous foods have had 26% protein but this one only has 21%. Is that enough?

If not, do you have tips on supplementing it or finding another similar food?

I do like this food has a good ratio of calcium and phosphorus plus good ingredients so I'm looking for something similar. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I read somewhere that 25% protein is about right, although I'm not sure if that's just for puppies or dogs overall. I did post recently about a dog food that recieved no replies. I had to take matters into my own hands and research. I ended up interested in 11 dry foods. Eukanuba, Science and Royal Canin had the highest protein % wise ranging from 32 - 33%. Not that this means anything to me, really, too much protein is never good for kidney function. Royal Canin however lacked in the fiber content which is 2.6%, the average from all 11 foods I checked out was 4%. The fat % ran from 12 - 22.9% which is quite a range. A lot to consider, this topic of food! I think I delve into this a bit more as I have time to figure it out, before bringing our little cherub home! Only five weeks to go! The puppies will be three weeks old Christmas Friday!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Blondie. I definitely trust my vet on this subject and he said 26% is a good amount but he told me than when Harvey was 3 months so I don't know if that's still a good amount or if it would be ok to lower the protein level a bit.

The food choices are SO overwhelming!! I'm almost out of my bag though so I might look around some more.

I don't know if this will help with your puppy ? but when I brought mine home, people told me 26% protein was good and to also make sure that the calcium to phosphourus ratio is pretty equal. They also said to avoid certain products like beet pulp and things like that. They're not cheap but I was happy with Wellness and Solid Gold. Some of the more expensive foods aren't really THAT much more expensive b/c the dogs eat less of it and it saves on medical bills down the line :) Anyway congrats on your pup!

P.S. People have many different opinions on dog food but most people agree Science Diet is a no no (despite the fact that some vets do recommend it). I think you'll find most ppl on this forum stay away form that and possibly Royal Canin as well (although I don't know too much about the royal). A few people use Eukanuba though. If you're interested in a food, you can look it up on dogfoodanalysis.com or do a search for that food on here and see if there are any prior discussion on it. Hope that helps!

OH and I almost forgot- find out what your breeder or place you're adopting the dog from has been feeding him or her. You will need to get a small bag of that as well and transition slowly to the new food if you want to switch :) I had no clue about all this stuff before I got my pup!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Why did you switch to Natural Balance in the first place?

If you are looking for a "limited-ingredient" food that also has a higher protein/fat, take a look at the Healthwise formulas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts